Vanguard Primaris Marines - Intro Thread

Mmmmm Napalm

Personally I think Redemptor Dreadnoughts are inferior to other Dreads especially Lascannon and missile Launcher Dreads for fire support or Contemptors/Ironclads for assault. The Redemptor brings a lot of stationary anti infantry firepower but can't move and fire well and thus isn't as useful to Marines who can get anti infantry firepower easier for cheaper.

Still not terrible but just a little unfocused and average in performance.

On the paper I'd agree that regular Dreads are better than Redemptor Dreads, however I almost never see regular Dreads in Marine lists but often Redemptor Dreads in more or less successfull lists (none of them are overly competetive, though neonmole uses two of them in his tournament list to good effect).

Sent an email to community with a couple suggestions.

Primaris Emperor Champion. It's the easiest one to do without Rubicon Primaris shenanigans.

A conversion and rules in the style of the grandmaster on baby harness would be cool.

Also pay some points for extra Chainsword on intercessors for BT and SW. Probably won't amount to anything but hey, it would make me play Primaris easily.

An EC kit (could go in the place of our "Lieutenant" kit if neccessary) and upgrade set would go a really long way. Also want Grimaldus and Helbrecht to go through the rubicon. No need for drama on that point, just make updates for 'em. 

When it comes to close combat I'm fine with a generic kit (which I'm sure we'll get in the future at some point) but it would be a nice touch if the aforementioned upgrade set were to be compatible.

And all of this without it taking a million years to get there.

I think an upgrade sprue would solve most of our issues with a couple of added rules.

I got the wake the dead Lieutenant, gonna chop that awfull sword (seriously the new power swords are bad looking) add a chopped grey knight one, get rid of the aquilla and the knee edge,add a converted rosarius and that's a Primaris EC.

Yeah preferably it won't take another decade :/

On the topic of Redemptor Dreads, they are OK. Pretty cheap now and good Dakka.

Anti tank Dreads are OK but if you're going that route it's best to go for a FW Contemptor.

I think an upgrade sprue would solve most of our issues with a couple of added rules.

I got the wake the dead Lieutenant, gonna chop that awfull sword (seriously the new power swords are bad looking) add a chopped grey knight one, get rid of the aquilla and the knee edge,add a converted rosarius and that's a Primaris EC.

Yeah preferably it won't take another decade :/

The new power swords all appear to be Gladii. Which look ok on UM, maybe IF, but don't fit the BT range in the slightest.

Its the hilts and cross guards on the primaris powerswords really.  They are oddly shaped and plain, they don't look as good as previous sm ones. 

The two Dark Angel primaris powerswords are an exception to this though, they are still good.

Redemptor really suffers from how Cawl seems to have approached anti-tank weaponry. "So Cawl, I wager you have some incredible weapons for my new primaris" "Yes, new gatling cannons that look awesome and look at how I made this plasma better!" "Great to hear, that covers my new marines for infantry and even heavy infantry. Now what have you developed for heavy armour? With these results I look forward to what you have" "...Plasma?"

Maybe if the redemptor had a twin linked lastalon option it would give it that trinity of weapon options where only two are actually used while the third is kept for cool factor. I mean, Onslaught weapon series of weapons gets all three of the triangle points (Cool, Effective and Purpose) while the Plasma has 2 with missing the actual important one (cool and purpose) while a twin-linked lastalon would cover the other two and be used (purpose and effective).

Maybe even strap a second ranged weapon onto it and make it a proper walking ork mek wet dream.

Will say, in the future will we see Lastalons on the suppressors as an option? Would be cool

given that lastalons have boltgun range, the mobility of the surpressors would pretty much be indispensible if that were the case

Sure, but would also render their Suppression rule worthless.

It may not have much value around these parts, but even GW wouldn't abandon a special rule like this.

given that lastalons have boltgun range, the mobility of the surpressors would pretty much be indispensible if that were the case

Sure, but would also render their Suppression rule worthless.

It may not have much value around these parts, but even GW wouldn't abandon a special rule like this.

*cough* Flamer Aggressors *cough*

Also the suppressing special rule would work with Las Talons just as well as with their Autocannons. Probably better even as you'd have a higher chance of actually killing a model. In fact the Las Talon would outclass their autocannon in everything except for range so that's probably a better reason why they are unlikely to get such an option. ^^

Would suppressors work with melta? Seems like one of the few situations where the ability to redeploy would be very useful.

hmm, What about Suppressors with Grav weapons? that effect vehicles, as the accelerators effect infantry

Personally I feel GW have really mucked up with suppressors. That rule would have been a hell of a lot more useful and probably more fluffy on inceptors, it would really shine either with bolsters or plasma. I think supressors need another rule to do with heavy weapons.

I am 90% certain that the seven-man vanguard sprue in this box will end up being a kill team specific release.

1 eliminator, 1 sniper, 5 man squad of infiltrators.

The size of the sprue is right in my mind.

Interesting tidbit from the little codex in the Shadowspear box - the 10th Company is supposed to maintain a permanent complement of Vanguard Marines. This suggests that a complete Primaris Chapter would have a "Vanguard Company" instead of a Scout Company, I think.

Archived