Vs. Nids

SanguiniusJr

Hey Red Fellows,

So I have a game Comming up this weekend vs Nids. I only have one game of xp against genestealers, which I barely squeaked by by a victory point :smile.: From this game I gathered that I really wouldn't be able to out assault him, but I could be surgical in our engagements (ie softening up with my Fire support, THEN charging& using my transports & Deep strikes to protect my stuff).

I know about screening my gunline, their redic mobility, pray for first turn so he ain't in my lines. (Double edged sword of being drowned vs red thirst) I'm running a furioso, a host of CC scouts, and DC and SG for assaulting priority targets. I have a raven (Which I keep my DC in with Corbulo and a chap). My Furioso Frag cannon seems like its going to be cluch with the auto hits- thinking about tossing a flamer on it too.

Can that slingshot ability they do (the one that grants a second movement be auspex scanned?  

It seems like they're super strong psykers- I usually bring my Libby naught as an auto include for every list; is it a safe bet to assume if I bring a few couple I'll get outdone with their buff? 

Other than overwatching with Auto hit weapons, any other general tips?

Deploy deep and screen deep.

The swarmlord’s commander ability (move in the shooting phase ) can not be auspex scanned.

Any advice will also depend on if you play progressive scoring or not.

As someone who plays both BA and Nids:

- Bring a good amount of dakka (the irony just hit me in relation to my profile name). Good Tyranid lists rely mostly on their infantry as the monsters are usually too costly for what they do and how easily they can be brought down with the exception of Swarmlord, Flyrants and Carnifexes. Death Company with bolters and chainswords will rinse their infantry quite well.

- Use scouts for board control and speed bumps. A lot of things deep strike so forcing him to target scouts over juicier targets is never a bad thing.

- Shadow in the Warp is 18" so it's less than denial range. You should be able to cast freely for at least the 1st turn. Tyranid psychic is good but not Eldar/Chaos good.

- Try not too deep strike too much as they are quite good at flooding the board leaving you with no good landing zones.

As someone who plays both BA and Nids:

- Bring a good amount of dakka (the irony just hit me in relation to my profile name). Good Tyranid lists rely mostly on their infantry as the monsters are usually too costly for what they do and how easily they can be brought down with the exception of Swarmlord, Flyrants and Carnifexes. Death Company with bolters and chainswords will rinse their infantry quite well.

- Use scouts for board control and speed bumps. A lot of things deep strike so forcing him to target scouts over juicier targets is never a bad thing.

- Shadow in the Warp is 18" so it's less than denial range. You should be able to cast freely for at least the 1st turn. Tyranid psychic is good but not Eldar/Chaos good.

- Try not too deep strike too much as they are quite good at flooding the board leaving you with no good landing zones.

Agree with everything except the usage of scouts. They will just provide a free 6" consolidate for the Genestealers.

Brought a Raven and my Leviathan for dakka. He had some big Baddies (winged FW bugs, I don't remember the names), so I was thankful for my Mortis Contemptor's Las as well. I ended up ending the big bugs before they got into my lines, and was able to stop the Hormagaunt swarm (to give it another round of shooting) with scouts prior to him getting close to me. (The scouts put a cc dent in them too prior to dying :) ) I kept Slam in the castle meme for those initial turns and it worked out really well with rerolls, and I was able to heroically intervene with genestealer attack.

I had scout screens to stop genestealers by the time they got to me. But I had loaded the raven with my buffed DC so they had a pleasant counterattack after he had eliminated my scouts, and killed all but one genestealer. 

He conceded turn 3! 

Yeah don't put your infiltrators in charge range of Tyranids unless you can almost hug them. All it does is provide extra movement. I've learned that the hard way with my T'au Stealth Suits. ^^

With the points drop, Repulsors might be worth a look. They pack a lot of dakka for the points. They are T8 so should hold up well against massed T4 attacks and they can FLY which means your opponent won't be tarpitting your valuable shooty units.

Maybe put some cheap dakka squads like Aggressors inside to clear the chaff that reaches your lines. Their power fist attacks could even be useful against big Nids at a push.

Archived