Best ways to deal with heavy armor in our Codex

Berzul

To my opinion the only way to deal with a Knight is 3xLass Predators with the "Moster Hunter" Stratagem. This way if you play 1st you got 50% chance to kill the knight in one Round. Definetly you will need all the "tweeks" we have in our Armory (rerolls to hit/wound, spells, -1 to hit etc.) if you dont play first hide them take a techmarine and pray the Omnisiah to survive the 1st round. 

How would a squad of 10 terminators, with 5 hammers and 2 cyclone missile launchers, dropping with a Master for rerrolls, firing 8 missiles through DWA in a turn, then charging with Master of Maneuver or even Fury of the Lion for the +1 str, fare against your average knight? Maybe with an Ancient to add attacks?

Im getting my bits ready for a squad of said configuration just for general play. I wonder if it could come in handy in a more competitive scenario.

You get 3.1 damage from the cyclones

6.2 damage from the cyclones using deathwing assault.

10 thundernators get you 16.7 damage

10 thundernators with +1s get you 22.2 damage.

10 thundernators with an ancient thundernator get you 28 dmg

10 thundernators with an ancient thundernator and +1s get you 37.8 damage

Basee on averages, theoretically you should get anywhere from 20 dmg per round with no strategems to 42 dmg with +1s strategem,an ancient, and deathwing assault.

How much of your list are you willing to dedicate? Your spending anywhere from 450-620 on this one squad, and at least 3cp

Or run a blood angel smash captain battalion for 430 points and do the same with better board control.

Yeah. We have no easy way to deal with knights, one of the many reasons we're not anywhere near top tables.

Yeah just look at the lvo results from the weekend no dark Angels list in the top 50

Mind you that marine list that made top 8 is Intresting and gives hope that a odd list can do ok

I'm sorry, but as a knight player, who competitively plays pure knights, the problem is if you come prepared or not. I also have my beloved DA, and not too long ago I took on a pure knight list without primaris. I was damn close to winning, and had I had more luck with getting first turn I would have won.

I, from memory, brought (battalion and spearhead):

Azrael

2 Lieutenants

techmarine

3 scout squads set up for blocking

Deredeo dreadnought with anvilus autocannons and atomantic pavaise (5++ 6" bubble)

3 dakkapreds (heavy bolter sponsons and autocannons)

2 dev squads, 1 with 4 plasma cannons, 1 with 4 lascannons. Both had two or three ablative wounds.

In short, I deployed in two firebases. Deredeo with predators, one lieutenant and the techmarine, all wholly inside the 6" bubble. The other firebase was Azzy with devs and the other lieutenant. Azrael finished off two knights in close combat. He had one knight standing when I removed my last model, and it was hurting. He took out one of my preds turn 1 which denied Killshot. That meant I couldn't dish out enough damage fast enough. As I said, had I gotten first turn, I would have won.

Yes, it can be daunting playing against knights, but with most games that you play at the local store/club/with friends, you know what's coming, and for the fun of it, when facing knights, you build lists for doing damage to them.

If going to a competitive event, and your list has no answer for t8, you know you are running a massive risk.

But, if you look at how knights perform competitively, it's the Castellan being used over and over because of its firepower. Pure knight lists don't make it to the top tables.

Personally I have been tabled with my knights by lists such as Knights with Admech, pure AM and TS+daemons+CSM. That's at competitive events. Knights are definitely killable :)

As a final note, this was not intented as a rant. More as a statement that, yes, they are tough, but when facing them, you are allowed to build for putting up a good fight. If your opponent disagrees with that, he should play something other than knights.

Regards

Sneaky

Black Knights utilizing Weapons from the Dark Age and Signal the Attack is great, for guaranteed risk free overcharges.

Dark Talons are useful for getting that initial damage through to trigger Signal the Attack.

Outside of RW, the hellblaster castle is ideal, especially in rapid fire range. 20 shots at S8 D3 with Azrael/Lieutenant rerolls will delete almost anything.

Archived