Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vanguard Space Marines - Shadowspear Box Set

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2385 replies to this topic

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

++ ARGENTARIUS IRACUNDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 17,674 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
51765526_2047684185529305_81624936527911

Can someone explain this? He looks MK7?
I've started up a new YouTube channel! Please support me as I attempt to grow it.

Serious Geeks

Spyros

Spyros

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 467 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Definitely Mk X Phobos armour (Reiver), bolt weapon no larger than their standard Bolt Carbine but with the straight mag  typical of the Stalker Bolt rifle and with extra scopes, no terror mask. Probably a more shooty variant of the Reivers.

Edited by Spyros, 08 February 2019 - 08:24 AM.

"Whatever the Blood Angels' flaws, nowhere in the Imperium can truer servants of the Emperor be found." , Blood Angels Codex 5th ed.
"Although feared and mistrusted by those they protect, the Blood Angels continue to smash the Imperium's foes, compiling a battle history second to none.", Dark Millenium 7th ed.

"You underestimate our cousins, skald. Their gold and jewels mask a killer’s soul, and we would do well to remember that.", Helik Redknife, VI Legion ‘Vlka FenrykaCaptain

gallery_93095_13980_2976.gifgallery_93095_13980_1591.gifgallery_93095_13980_3726.gifgallery_93095_13980_27776.jpggallery_93095_13980_391.pnggallery_93095_13980_3345.pnggallery_93095_13980_612.pnggallery_93095_13980_5444.jpggallery_93095_13980_1407.jpggallery_93095_13980_14904.pnggallery_93095_13980_11439.png

Spoiler

MajorNese

MajorNese

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,094 posts

To those familiar with the Stormcast release waves - do you reckon there will be any heavier units in the current box? There's only infantry right now, while chaos has big stuff, and some releases are not yet revealed. I'm still interested in a lighter transport or something, not just the land raider equivalent.

Except for that, the entire release works perfectly for my Raptors chapter - sneaky marines by the dozen, vigilator-equivalents, scout snipers, and whatever is still coming.

Potentially stupid question - Does anyone else think the Abaddon has made himself primaris now? smile.png I kind of got that impression from the vid (of course, I understand that they could just be messing with us, but a little thieving here and a little Fabius-ing there and you never know ) smile.png

That dude marinated himself for 10.000 years in warpstuff - why would he need implants or something? Because the warp, well, warps everything, so no need for Fabulous Bill to do that for everyone.

gallery_6494_6331_8260.pnghhoth_majornesehts27qojyj.jpggallery_48988_11572_4164.pnggallery_48988_11572_12518.pnggallery_48988_15465_8459.pnggallery_48988_15465_5251.pnggallery_48988_6285_13120.pnglockdownpaintingchallwgjra.png

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,895 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

Oh dear. Looks like the final barrier to starting a full Chaos army (namely, derpy models) is about to fall. Bye bye hobby savings.

Also really liking the Vanguard Primaris. I've been musing about a small contingent of Primaris Raptors, looks like that's going to happen now!

Definitely Mk X Phobos armour (Reiver), bolt weapon no larger than their standard Bolt Carbine but with the straight mag  typical of the Stalker Bolt rifle and with extra scopes, no terror mask. Probably a more shooty variant of the Reivers.

I suspect this is going to be your "Troops" unit in the Primaris Vanguard sub-faction; slightly better shootiness than Bolt Carbine Reivers but without the mobility and shock grenades.

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpg

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 17,674 posts

I'm liking the return to MK7 style helms if that's the case. Iconic.

Though I don't think it's a shooty Reiver. It looks like a troops choice to me and it's just a bolter Marine.
  • MosesGunn likes this
I've started up a new YouTube channel! Please support me as I attempt to grow it.

Serious Geeks

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion (Night Blades)
I mean...you can freely use mk7 helmets with them...

I'm carving down the skull mask to make them look more Spartan-ish.

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,768 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

Rules wise I don't get why these eliminators have to be scouts dialed up to 11 then pus 1. Rivers with sniper rifles, infiltrate and cloaks instead of grenades et all would have been fine, but by the looks of it they get special rounds too, which kind stings since sterbguard lost theirs. I figured it was supposed to be so DW would have their bespoke schtick but now this. Great models I just don't get why they have to make them so good by comparison that taking classic marines automatically puts you at a handicap.

You know why, let's not be naive here.

• Brother Lunkhead, SickSix, Nocturne Noble and 4 others like this
gallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.png

Wraithwing

Wraithwing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,533 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves\Novamarines
Super stoked to see these Primaris releases. Need to see what else is in the box!

Wraithwing's Deathwolves - A Space Wolves WIP & Painting Blog (Archived Project)

Wraithwing's Novamarines - A Primaris WIP & Painting Blog

Wraithwing's Collected Works - Hall of Honour Thread

"We are coming. Look to the skies for your salvation." - Captain Kayvaan Shrike to Commissar Lent prior to the Blindhope planetstrike.

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,309 posts

that's actually a really riff on the classic Mk7. It looks modern and cool while still recognisable as like a Space Marine helm. bringing gas mask elements into it was super clever.

Edited by Wispy, 08 February 2019 - 08:54 AM.

• ixzion likes this

PiñaColada

PiñaColada

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,130 posts

Rules wise I don't get why these eliminators have to be scouts dialed up to 11 then pus 1. Rivers with sniper rifles, infiltrate and cloaks instead of grenades et all would have been fine, but by the looks of it they get special rounds too, which kind stings since sterbguard lost theirs. I figured it was supposed to be so DW would have their bespoke schtick but now this. Great models I just don't get why they have to make them so good by comparison that taking classic marines automatically puts you at a handicap.

Sure, but we should all thank the lucky stars these new exterminators are actually really good models, no? 

Robbienw

Robbienw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,251 posts

The new CSM are great, armour style as expected, dynamic running guy, nice.  Obliterators are intensly ugly!

The Sister of Battle looks great.

Vanguard marines, wow, where do I start?  Who thought it would be a good idea keeping going with the reiver armour concept, leaving the whole of primaris wave 2 with the capri shorts legs?! laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png  Look at the librarian for instance, stars off really cool, looks styled like a dark angel, then the reiver legs ruin it.

The Eliminators rifles are overdone 'tacticool'.

At least they have got rid of the reiver skull helm and the heads are coming back to a more mk7 style with the tactical reiver guys.  I predicted they may start bringing the primaris look back closer to the classic marine one, this is a small step in the right direction imo.  Long way to go though.

Looks like whoever it was who predicted new primaris stuff would follow a stormcast pattern was right.  I think those who are hoping for future primaris rleases to be like classic marine units are going to be disappointed.

Also, the primaris officer has to be primarified Telion, he looks too like him not to be.  He has a sash like calgars as well, maybe this is a thing that signifies they have crossed the rubicon primaris? 

Edited by Robbienw, 08 February 2019 - 08:57 AM.

• Interrogator Stobz likes this

Captain Idaho

Captain Idaho

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 17,674 posts

I mean...you can freely use mk7 helmets with them...
I'm carving down the skull mask to make them look more Spartan-ish.

Except the majority of people stick to the standard helms. Sure a minority might Kit bash but most use the kits as standard.

Serious Geeks

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,248 posts
Whelp, that’s that decided then. Ultramarines here I come! Am thinking 11th company as it will be Primaris only and I like the Greyshield fluff.

Love the new Vanguard stuff but like many others I’d really like a dev squad equivalent and a light transport.

Will definitely offload the chaos half of the box.

Edit: Read the rules about trades. Sorry.

Edited by Burni, 08 February 2019 - 09:03 AM.

Hantheman

Hantheman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 363 posts

Strange to see Ezekiel in ultramarine armour 

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,236 posts

Sure, but we should all thank the lucky stars these new exterminators are actually really good models, no?

Yeah I do know why, and they do look cool. But having said that though, Primaris, as cool as they are, and I do think they’re cool believe me, remind me of the Tau in the sense that they’re technologically advanced and bereft of any real uniqueness, at least in the same way that classic marines are unique. Old marines are veterans of hundreds, sometimes thousands, of battles and their armour is often cobbled together from different Mks and a complete set of armour made up of a single Mk is a true treasure. Also each member, having joined their squads as fully fledged battle brothers, often decades or centuries apart, often have different Mks armour. I mean look at the new CSM, each is a unique warrior. I hope, and it may very well happen many years down the track, we get classic marines in a similar size and scale to the CSM.
  • Aarik likes this
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reinhard

Reinhard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,345 posts

I share the idea that the leader could be Telion, who's then probably promoted to a captain role. The sash (? the red rope on the chest?), is something I believe we see on captain models?

One theory I have that the helmeted marine in the trailer artwork with the mk7esque mouthgrill, could perhaps be a helmeted version of "Tellion" ? Or maybe I just put too much stock on the placement in the trailer, as the leader for their repsective side, like the sorceror is for the chaos side. Maybe its just the cover art for mini dexes in the box for each side? I'm probably thinking way too much about it. But I get the feeling this helm with the mouthgrill, is more a one off for a character, since it doesn't look like the other vanguards use it.

What I don't see is the onslaught cannon wielding marine on the box cover art some have speculated. The guy behind the witch's sword? look like a normal boltrifle/carbine/gun to me, wonky proportions. not held like a larger weapon would be.

Edited by Reinhard, 08 February 2019 - 09:28 AM.

Halandaar

Halandaar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,895 posts
  • Faction: Pretty much all of them!

Some thoughts.

I think this set is going to be similar to Dark Imperium, in that it's going to be easy-build style models on 2 duplicate sprues for most of the core models, with characters and unique things on other frames. Check out the Eliminators;

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-Eliminators8snvrx.

The two guys on the sides are the same model, just with different heads. They likely come from duplicate sprues, with the heads and the Sergeant on a separate frame, much the same as how Inceptors were in DI. I think that's backed up by the image of the Chaos Marines; they've only shown 3 models, in spite of the fact that they'll almost certainly come in a unit of 5. Probably because these are the 3 unique sculpts, and the remaining 2 models in the unit will be duplicates of the 2 on the sides.

Another thought, the Eliminators look like they are on 40mm bases, which makes me think 1) three is the unit size for them, much like Inceptors and Aggressors and 2) they'll be Heavy Support for the Vanguard faction.

Edited by Halandaar, 08 February 2019 - 09:26 AM.

• evilhomer, SickSix, Reinhard and 3 others like this

gallery_84244_11417_1545.gifgallery_84244_11417_3775.gifgallery_84244_11417_2850.gifgallery_84244_11417_880.gifgallery_84244_11417_1641.gifgallery_84244_11417_2552.gifgallery_84244_11417_215.png gallery_84244_11417_18892.jpggallery_84244_11417_30096.jpggallery_84244_11417_17741.pnggallery_84244_11417_22884.pnggallery_84244_16660_5008.jpg

PiñaColada

PiñaColada

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,130 posts

If they're a heavy support choice in group sizes of three then that special ammo better pack a hell 'uvva punch. Snipers in general could stand to be a bit more threatening so somewhere between a normal sniper rifle and an admech arquebus might be a sweet spot. 

• Magos Takatus, Sea-People and Lord Nord like this

MajorNese

MajorNese

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,094 posts

Thank the omnissiah I didn't pull the trigger on Nod GSC. The Mountain of Shame would have grown so far, the Emperor would have built his palace on it. sweat.gif

And I do hope the eliminators' snipers have some damage to speak of. S4 AP0 doesn't do anything, and GSC/AdMech shows us what sniper stats should look like. The character on the left of the artwork could well be a generic vanguard captain/LT, at least better fitting than the current range of primaris HQs.

Also really liking the Vanguard Primaris. I've been musing about a small contingent of Primaris Raptors, looks like that's going to happen now!

Come to the Raven Guard sub-forum - we have lots of Raptors. Even more after this release, I guess.

gallery_6494_6331_8260.pnghhoth_majornesehts27qojyj.jpggallery_48988_11572_4164.pnggallery_48988_11572_12518.pnggallery_48988_15465_8459.pnggallery_48988_15465_5251.pnggallery_48988_6285_13120.pnglockdownpaintingchallwgjra.png

evilhomer

evilhomer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 107 posts

Some thoughts.

I think this set is going to be similar to Dark Imperium, in that it's going to be easy-build style models on 2 duplicate sprues for most of the core models, with characters and unique things on other frames. Check out the Eliminators;

LVOStudioPreview-Feb7-Eliminators8snvrx.

The two guys on the sides are the same model, just with different heads. They likely come from duplicate sprues, with the heads and the Sergeant on a separate frame, much the same as how Inceptors were in DI. I think that's backed up by the image of the Chaos Marines; they've only shown 3 models, in spite of the fact that they'll almost certainly come in a unit of 5. Probably because these are the 3 unique sculpts, and the remaining 2 models in the unit will be duplicates of the 2 on the sides.

Another thought, the Eliminators look like they are on 40mm bases, which makes me think 1) three is the unit size for them, much like Inceptors and Aggressors and 2) they'll be Heavy Support for the Vanguard faction.

Yep, I think you're right there about easy build and the unit max of 3. The unit size also helps to distinguish them slightly from sniper scouts, since these chaps will have far more powerful shooting attacks to support this idea of them taking out characters, whereas sniper scouts will still be useful against regular infantry/low tier characters. I really like these guys, especially how their weapons bear a striking resemblance to the G36. GW's design team are at least attempting a juggling act with finding niches for new units/models IMHO.

Wonder if the oft-speculated Primaris light flying transport (+- rumour engine pics) might be intended for use with this new Vanguard sub-faction?

Reyner

Reyner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,113 posts
  • Faction: IV Legion, XIII Legion

The rifles on the Eliminators remind me of a G36, love it :D 

• evilhomer, Trevak Dal and Bev'an like this

gallery_60566_6038_242.gifgallery_26119_9644_9137.pnggallery_60566_6038_826.gif
"I don't need my left arm to run." - Sergeant Arkad VII Legion bad-ass.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,501 posts
As expected the first of the wave 2 Primaris are very impressive and more elaborate looking.

The chaos stuff is pretty amazing too, I love the new walker thing and the BL Marines.

-~Ishagu~-

PiñaColada

PiñaColada

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,130 posts

The rifles on the Eliminators remind me of a G36, love it biggrin.png

Will it have the same overheating rules as plasma weapons? :P

• RolandTHTG likes this

MajorNese

MajorNese

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,094 posts

The rifles on the Eliminators remind me of a G36, love it biggrin.png

Will it have the same overheating rules as plasma weapons? tongue.png

Well, at least that's clearing it - the German army is not the fastest in replacing seemingly flawed material, but it isn't really encouraging that it doesn't even happen in 38.000 years. Bureaucracy never changes...

• Charlo and PiñaColada like this

No Foes Remain

No Foes Remain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,200 posts
  • Faction: See signature plan

Those Eliminators, their rifles have top rails like the G36. So cool....

• Reyner and Nusquam like this

10th Expeditionary Fleet 'Legion of Terra'    18 Legiones Astartes detachments from all active Legions; Geno One-Four-One Akkad; 13th Solar Auxiliary Cohort 'Black Scorpions'

sml_gallery_48988_16053_16940.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_4278.png  sml_gallery_48988_16053_22349.png

194th Company, 19th Chapter, Ultramarines Legion - 'Ultimas of War'; Halcyon Dominion's 3rd Spartii Imperialis Auxilia Regiment; Knight House Cousland

Sons of Horus 38th Company

-----

Astral Claws 5th Company; XII Tyrant's Legion

Adeptus Praetorii: Void Angels, Ultima Wardens, Crimson Saints  Adeptus Astartes Chapters

Order of the Amethyst Tower; Halcyon Dominion Militarum Forces; Knight House Cousland; Forge Fiefdom Orzarm

Void Knights Chaos Chapter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users