Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vanguard Space Marines - Shadowspear Box Set

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2385 replies to this topic

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,527 posts

So do we have an educated idea of when points for some of these units will be coming down? The next Chapter approved? I really like the units but for some of these it'll be yet another unit I take that clearly isn't great because of points costs (Thunderwolves ho!). That's fine for most games I play but occasionally I do like to actually win.

Precedent shows that the next Chapter Approved will be the place we can expect changes - that was the first place Intercessors dropped in points. However, the precedent is admittedly a small sample size. Furthermore, it took 18 months for Intercessors to land at 17 points.
It's possible we see it in the next big FAQ...but I would not hold your breath on that.
Forgebane had an FAQ with new points lists almost immediately. So, we could see changes really at any point.
That was not quite the same situation. It's actually a good sign that we'll be waiting a long while.

It was about a month between Forgebane launch in late March and an FAQ released specifically for it in later April, but what people are so quick to forget is that this was entirely to link up with the points values printed in CA17...released months earlier.

I'd like to think they can fix this quick, but they haven't shown the ability to do that whatsoever.
So...it actually IS the same situation as we have March again and there was a CA18 released just a few months ago. ;)
But none of these units were in CA18, so not at all the same ;)

Can't catch up to points costs if they never existed before.

Edited by Lemondish, 11 March 2019 - 10:41 PM.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

So do we have an educated idea of when points for some of these units will be coming down? The next Chapter approved? I really like the units but for some of these it'll be yet another unit I take that clearly isn't great because of points costs (Thunderwolves ho!). That's fine for most games I play but occasionally I do like to actually win.

Precedent shows that the next Chapter Approved will be the place we can expect changes - that was the first place Intercessors dropped in points. However, the precedent is admittedly a small sample size. Furthermore, it took 18 months for Intercessors to land at 17 points.
It's possible we see it in the next big FAQ...but I would not hold your breath on that.
Forgebane had an FAQ with new points lists almost immediately. So, we could see changes really at any point.
That was not quite the same situation. It's actually a good sign that we'll be waiting a long while.

It was about a month between Forgebane launch in late March and an FAQ released specifically for it in later April, but what people are so quick to forget is that this was entirely to link up with the points values printed in CA17...released months earlier.

I'd like to think they can fix this quick, but they haven't shown the ability to do that whatsoever.
So...it actually IS the same situation as we have March again and there was a CA18 released just a few months ago. msn-wink.gif
But none of these units were in CA18, so not at all the same msn-wink.gif

Can't catch up to points costs if they never existed before.

And I'd like to set the record straight - there was no change in points from DI to the Codex for Primaris. As far as I can see in my materials, Intercessors stayed the same exact price until CA17.

But the units we are comparing them to were in CA18. ;)

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,527 posts

But the units we are comparing them to were in CA18. ;)

I don't think you understand. Or you're actively trying not to.

Let's take it simple. Forgebane launched with units and points costs in the box that were printed before CA17 dropped them. Almost all these units already existed in the game, especially those the FAQ addressed.

The FAQ simply fixed this oversight.

Nothing in this set was in CA18, so you can't expect the same situation to occur. The reason there was an FAQ a month after Forgebane that dropped the points costs was to catch up to the costs that already existed before FB even went up for pre-order. This is not a good situation to point to when saying "they dropped points quickly before!" because they didn't do anything but reprint then current point costs.

For all those hoping to see a quick turn around for points updates, it's possible...but not likely if their track record is anything you go by.

Edited by Lemondish, 11 March 2019 - 10:48 PM.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

But the units we are comparing them to were in CA18. msn-wink.gif

I don't think you understand. Or you're actively trying not to.

Let's take it simple. Forgebane launched with units and points costs in the box that were printed before CA17 dropped them.

The FAQ simply fixed this oversight.

Nothing in this set was in CA18, so you can't expect the same situation to occur. The reason there was an FAQ a month after Forgebane that dropped the points costs was to catch up to the costs that already existed before FB even went up for pre-order. This is not a good situation to point to when saying "they dropped points quickly before!" because they didn't do anything but reprint then current point costs.

For all those hoping to see a quick turn around for points updates, it's possible...but not likely if their track record is anything you go by.

Nah I understand that but I don't think you are understanding what I'm saying.

I'm saying that the rules for this set likely got printed pre CA18 as well and the whole threshold of what's acceptable for lots of infantry got lowered quite a bit there while the already printed rules for this set couldn't get adjusted anymore as that would have meant throwing everything out of the window and print the whole thing again.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,527 posts
If they aren't spurred to fix an error in printing like they did before, then it's just baseless speculation.

I'm all for that, but let's be honest about it, eh?

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 760 posts

I'm saying that the rules for this set likely got printed pre CA18 

I really doubt that. Chapter Approved would have been finalized in early October at the latest just from a logistics standpoint if it was to stand a chance of actually being printed on time.

And from an actual rules evolution standpoint, the points readjustments it contained seem to have been designed in conjunction with the rules changes in Big FAQ 2, which came out the last Friday in September. 

Edited by Lord Nord, 15 March 2019 - 12:43 AM.

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,527 posts
With the April FAQ coming about a month from now, I'd say it would be the first possible time we'd see point changes.

But since it will mostly include insights from Adepticon, I'm not even sure that. Vanguard changes will happen then.

Edited by Lemondish, 16 March 2019 - 07:32 AM.

Vanger

Vanger

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 685 posts

With the April FAQ coming about a month from now, I'd say it would be the first possible time we'd see point changes.

But since it will mostly include insights from Adepticon, I'm not even sure that. Vanguard changes will happen then.

Accoridng to the roadmap the next FAQ should be in March.

I took ballistics in school. Fascinating subject. Things go up! Things go down!

*Laughs in Heretic Astartes*

Lemondish

Lemondish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,527 posts

Accoridng to the roadmap the next FAQ should be in March.
Posted a year ago or so on the first Big FAQ launch in April: https://www.warhamme...omepage-post-2/

Important piece: In the future, our first quarter Errata and FAQ update for Warhammer 40,000 will be in April, giving us time to fully incorporate the feedback and learnings from this massive Warhammer 40,000 event.

Don't hold your breath for March is all I'm saying ;)

Edited by Lemondish, 16 March 2019 - 09:18 AM.

Plasmablasts

Plasmablasts

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 930 posts
Might also get some more up-to-date points values when the anticipated full Vanguard release comes, whether that’s in a new C:SM or in a supplementary Vanguard Codex.

Dragonlover

Dragonlover

++ PATRIS ANGUIGENA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,098 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion

=][= As Shadowspear releases today, this thread is locked in accordance with policy. Please take all discussion to the relevant subforums =][=

gallery_69371_15034_693.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users