The Emperor's Gift

Izlude

Just picked this one up off Amazon. I never knew about this one until I finished The Emperor's Spear (amazing book by the way) and saw this one was also by ADB. It looks like it was first in print in 2012 with this new re-release 2018. As I am primarily a HH reader, I was curious about this one. I only know about the Grey Knights (GK) from the old days when I gamed a little. I always thought they were interesting....the elite of the elites. The lore and the origin (which is more interesting since it takes place during the heresy). 

After reading The Emperor's Spear and Chris's Lords of Silence, I didn't think it could get better. Luckily I am wrong, The Emperor's Gift is excellent. 

Without spoilers it focuses on a GK squad and an inquisitor at the outset of the first Armageddon war. I don't know too much about this one except that the SW with Grimnar as the Chapter Master played a big role in this one with  political implications related to the GK involvement. The stuff after the main conflict (Months of Shame) is the best parts of the book, you really see some of the limitations of the GK. They are not some crusading force that can do their own thing but rather are beholden to the inquisition. It definitely puts the Space Wolves in a good light (some would say too good) and wow...I would not mess with Logan! I vaguely remember his info based on the codexes some time ago but the spot light is definitely on him as much as some of the GKs. I love how he embodies the SW so well..."deceptively savage" in that if you underestimate the SW (which the Inquisition and the GK GM does) you better watch out.

The pacing is excellent, the action great and of course as is ADB's strength, his character building is superb. I can easily say this is on par with his other works such as Black Legion and Night Lords. 

I think Aaron is still finding his footing in this book, but it hardly takes away from his skill as a story teller. The pacing is absolutely fantastic and there's nary an uninteresting sentence through the whole thing. One of my favorite aspects is the Inquisition trying to throw its weight around and look like the fandom's general picture of it ("Do what I say or its exterminatus for you"), but the moment a first founding chapter calls them on it they respond with "uhh, wait, let's work this out guys." Ultimate authority or no, I appreciate the organization being shown with very real limitations. Shame it never developed into the trilogy it was supposed to be, but it works quite well as a standalone.

I think Aaron is still finding his footing in this book, but it hardly takes away from his skill as a story teller. The pacing is absolutely fantastic and there's nary an uninteresting sentence through the whole thing. One of my favorite aspects is the Inquisition trying to throw its weight around and look like the fandom's general picture of it ("Do what I say or its exterminatus for you"), but the moment a first founding chapter calls them on it they respond with "uhh, wait, let's work this out guys." Ultimate authority or no, I appreciate the organization being shown with very real limitations. Shame it never developed into the trilogy it was supposed to be, but it works quite well as a standalone.

Oh I didn't realise it was meant to be a series! Shame. Although I remember Aaron's dislike of the new codex's interpretation of the Knights being expressed (on his blog? In the book?), Which must have tempered his desire to return to the subject.

One of my favorite aspects is the Inquisition trying to throw its weight around and look like the fandom's general picture of it ("Do what I say or its exterminatus for you"), but the moment a first founding chapter calls them on it they respond with "uhh, wait, let's work this out guys." Ultimate authority or no, I appreciate the organization being shown with very real limitations.

Agreed wholeheartedly!

The Emperor’s Gift serves as a very interesting contrast to Blood and Fire — also by A D-B. In that novella, we see how the Inquisition inflicts the ultimate sanctions on a Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes, but does so covertly and oh-so carefully. By contrast, Lord Inquisitor Ghesmei Kysnaros commands the same resources and influence — perhaps more — as those who took apart the Celestial Lions, but chooses to act overtly. He errs by doing so; he provides a target to the Space Wolves, where the Celestial Lions were cut by a thousand unseen (or manipulated) blades and had no way to retaliate.

Good book but not ADBs best book. You get the distinct feeling that somewhere within there was a great book that couldn't get out because of the changes to the GK codex ADB had to take account of. The link to Abnett's work did make me squeeee like a girl though LOL

I mean, that is rather to be expected when it comes to that particular event in the setting. For one, the Grey Knights focus was mostly limited to a squad, and their big achievement was to fend off Angron on Armageddon - for which most bit the dust, effectively leaving the stage for the remainder. It is an impressive feat by any account nonetheless.

But the book simply doesn't end there, but goes on to show the aftermath and the Months of Shame. It moves on to showing how the GKs function as a cog within the Imperium's power plays, due to their Inquisition ties. Instead of solely highlighting their heroics, the book delves into the strings attached to them as a force, both internally and externally. Not just that they are subject to the Inquisition to an often distasteful degree, but also that their mere existence on the battlefield has significant costs attached. In a sense, the actions of the Space Wolves, in their headstrong attempt at justice, reflect what the GK characters in the book might want to do themselves. They don't take pleasure in seeing innocents executed to keep their secret, or that of daemonic existences, but their hands are tied by nature of the Inquisition and the Imperium's power structures.

In a sense, the book is a commentary on the Grey Knights on multiple levels, from their communal brotherhood life, the way their outlook on the galaxy differs from others, even other Astartes, the role they have to fulfill, the weight of their legacy, the constricting secrecy surrounding them and so much more. It's less about their individual superiority as a faction. Where the Space Wolves often play outside the system and possess a certain level of arrogance even ten millennia after the Great Crusade, amassing individual battle honors and sagas to their names and generally possessing a greater sense of individuality than most other Chapters, the Grey Knights are in many ways the opposite. Their thoughts are rarely their own, their place is set in stone, and their greatest achievements remain a secret to all but a select few. It's clever to contrast them in such a narrative, while still finding common ground in at least parts of their belief systems in relation to the ongoing events.

Frick, I haven't read the thing since I received my hardback all those years ago, when harcovers were still in the somewhat larger format than today, and it still sticks in my head enough to talk about the novel like this, and recall key moments fondly.

I agree with DC on this.

Loved the book and I'm still loving it. Not only does it cover one of my favorites (Grey Knights) but also one of my top favorites (Vlka).

Not only does it cover and redeem a lot of stuff happening in the 5th edition codex but also features the first War of Armageddon.

And it doesn't end. The months of shame, a brilliant example to show the reader the differences between the noble, yet stubborn sons of Russ and the more reasonable, yet extremely grim and stubborn Inquisition and its minions.

Do the Vlka outshine the others? Well, no.

Their arguing is more "human", more caring. One can associate with both sides but the in general, the caring part of us is more on the side of Logan.

The Inquisition is (due to their actions and behavior through that Lord-Inquisitor) automatically the "bad" guys.

Man, I would love to have a sequel of that one. But it works very well as a standalone. The more I speak of it, the more I want to reread it but it doesn't fit in my current reading order focusing on Imperial Knights. Maybe after finishing Kingsblade... :P

The consequences of the Wolves actions are pretty clear in intent: Fenris is ever-more isolated. The expectation is that Space Marines save the day, not have their days saved.

Nobody in the Imperium needs to act to kill the Wolves, they've been dwindling to irrelevance for millennia. (Indeed, acting against them gives them opportunity to switch to plucky underdog mode rather than reckless resource wasters.)

It's very clear - to me at least - that this is present in Wraight's late-day Wolves novels.

But then I'm 100% on viewing the Wolves novels (and Atlas Infernal, the Emperor's Gift etc) as pretty explicitly consequences of Russ and Mortarion's machiavellian foolishness pre-Nikaea.

Between Fire & Blood and The Emperor's Guft, ADB is pretty explicit in evoking these consequences. The same with Wraight's work in Battle of the Fang and beyond - they sketch and illuminate the dynamics of the 40k setting in such a deft way that the whole sweep of the setting's story is presented, but in passing as seen from the perspective of a Different Story.

For one thing: TEG predates Blood & Fire by a long time - it's entirely possible that Kysarnos and Co learnt their lesson, and decided both to be more effective and to pick more winnable fights. And even if it's not K themself: it's one thing to not learn from one's own mistakes; it's a deal worse not to learn from the mistakes others!)

Hence: The Celestial Lions.

I'm still waiting for an authour to explore the consequences suffered by the SW for killing an Inquisitor Lord and a GK Grandmaster

Would be a solid foundation for a sequel or even a series

This was the best part...those two were the worse. The GK Grandmaster was such a douche...kiss my ring and what not...They were like the Erebus/Kor Phaeron combo.

Blood & Fire...hmm I have to look this up. After reading the The Emperor's spear...the whole Celestian Lion has me interested.

I hated those two, as well.

As a longtime Vlka fan, I cheered when Logan did what he did. Not only because of that was I instantly on the Wolves' side. And I enjoyed Hyperions view on the conflict, as well. Venerating the Wolves for their stubborness and will of saving those men while at the same time knowing that this was futile and they had to be mindwiped, etc.

Dwindling to irrelevance? Bit of a reach - elaborate?

The Space Wolves, in terms of their resources, are very much connected to their origins as a Legion.

They bifurcated, and the Wolf Brothers died.

So maybe half a battered Legion. In their heads. And with the attrition of ten thousand years, and consciously not much effort put into to staving off that attrition.

---

They didn't go through the phase change other Chapters did. No Isstvan for the Salamanders, no Codex, no serious reorganisation.

As time has gone on, their reach has reduced and reduced.

It's a major self-reflective/introspective point even as of Battle of the Fang, and is reirated again in the Gyrfalkon's-pack duology.

In galaxy of Primaris Chapters, of Marneus Calgar and Dante Regent of the Imperium Nihilus, what use does anyone have for some Gung-ho cowboys that play by their own rules?

Does anyone need to worry about teaching them a lesson?

No, it's the political animals like the Astral Claws that are a Genuine Issue.

The Space Wolves are loose cannons, hassle, but if they suddenly fell to Chaos, is it any worse than Generic Chapter 734b falling to Chaos? If they went renegade, what difference would it make to the Imperium?

---

That is what's covered in TEG: what the Space Wolves can actually do.

Be a damn nuisance, churlishly tweak the nose of over-zealous Inquisitors, compromise the effectiveness of the Grey Knights.

(Who are - by Hyperion's reflections - themselves also dwindling in effectiveness. What did the Space Wolves in TEG achieve that wasn't simply squandering the resources of and worsening the overall state of two Chapters rather than one? [For my view, they achieved a heck of a lot - but I am a Salamanders-inclined player, so whilst I'm content with what they did and why, early M41 is still very late in the day for them to grow a set of humanitarian principle-shaped fangs.])

But the entire population of a Hive World was still displaced.

So they weren't that helpful.

And some time later, the sort of people who did that to Armageddon had the wherewithal to nip things in the bud early with the Celestial Lions.

----

In short: they aren't insignificant, but they've let themselves go and are on a trajectory that continues to carry them towards insignificance.

But then I was very fond of ADB & Wraight's work in breathing a living, breathing life into the Space Wolves. A world in which their gung-ho reckless attitude has consequences, but also these are not unforeseen consequences - it's not like the Wolves are foolish or witless, but rather their choice to be who they are comes at the price of what they might chose to be otherwise.

(This was a huge component of Battle of the Fang, and seems to be at the heart of a lot of everything written about them. Hell, even the Leman Russ Primarchs novel deals with it!)

My two year old spoiler free review is below.

Some ADB novels can be very good but others are a bit meh. I generally find his characters (very) decent but sometimes his stuff just doesn't work for me (e.g. Master of Mankind has a plot/flow that I just can't enjoy).*

That being said, this is a top 10 BL novel (imo),

This is an excellent entry in the Black Library.

It's also an excellent entry point into Warhammer 40k fiction.

The author places a note at the beginning of the book that sets out how he had to re-write the entire story due to the release of the new Grey Knights codex mid production. I've not read the codex but I really like what's been done with the Grey Knights here.

So let's start with characters. The Grey Knights have a bit of reputation as the no messing incorruptible hidden daemon fighting army of the Imperium. I was worried that this might mean that characters were dulled in order to meet this reputation. Thankfully this was not the case. The protagonist. Hyperion, was fleshed out in such a way that he was relatable rather than cold and unfeeling. Similarly, his supporting Grey Knights (though obviously less prominent) felt like they were individuals with almost normal concerns.

Any potential issues with the Grey Knights was also headed off with an inquisitor (of Fenrisian origin no less) with a retinue of diverse characters.

As the story progresses we also meet the Space Wolves, who add a level of humor to the story. We also see other side characters who make life difficult for the protagonist.

Basically, the characters are done well.

Moving on to plot, the story is split into four key parts. The first introduces the key characters, the second sets up the catalyst for the story, we then have a false climax and a pretty awesome climax. I really liked the flow of the story, the false climax didn't feel like it would be enough for me to think it was a great story, but it could have been the real climax of another book by another author on another day. The author did an excellent job here.

The pacing is equally good. In fact, I read the last 1/3 in almost one sitting. It ticked along so well.

I liked the vignette that was thrown in too. The author did the same in MOM to excellent effect and it was the same here.

One of the things I really liked about this story, and something that is often a let down in other tie-in fiction, was the stakes were so high, and where the story took us to the precipice. In classic grim dark style it pulled us back from the precipice and then said 'you're getting pushed off that in the future'. I loved how high the stakes were. It would be interesting to know how well this integrates with later tie-in fiction by other authors.

Almost as an afterthought, I should comment on the lore bits. As usual the author does an excellent job of exploring the lore he is focussing on, whether it by the structure of the Grey Knights; their numbers; their rituals; the fractious nature of the inquisition; the mind of the Space Wolves; and so on. It's a pleasure to read.

There are very few downsides (hence 5 star). I could say that the Grey Knights didn't feel alien enough, but it would have hurt the narrative if they had. I found some of the battle scenes a little long, but I always do and the author handles them in a way which avoids boring exposition. The easter egg story line is arguable pointless - it doesn't serve the plot, but it's hardly intrusive.

If you like 40k read it.

[*edited as a sentence was avoidably antagonistic]

Well, the SW went from a legion (of roughly 90 to 100K) down to a single non-Codex chapter of maybe 2,000 at most (assuming Great Companies are very big)?

So yeah...their influence in 40K is gonna pale relative to the chapters with boatloads of relatively cooperative successors.

Well, the SW went from a legion (of roughly 90 to 100K) down to a single non-Codex chapter of maybe 2,000 at most (assuming Great Companies are very big)?

So yeah...their influence in 40K is gonna pale relative to the chapters with boatloads of relatively cooperative successors.

I thought there are only 1.5-2 thousand Wolves compared to 3-5k Templars?

I don’t believe the Black Templars have ever been conclusively counted.

As for the Space Wolves, it may not be a case of being recklessly wasteful. I haven’t read Wraight’s work on them, but my understanding is that the tragedy of the Wolf Brothers Chapter qualified that only Fenrisian recruits were viable candidates for receiving the Canis Helix. As Imperial politics and paranoia post-Heresy probably disqualified the idea of multiple Chapters from sharing a single planet, the Space Wolves were denied the opportunity to found Successors (until the Ultima Founding, of course). Within that context, it’s plausible that the Space Wolves used their pedigree, influence as a First Founding Chapter, and unique situation as an excuse to exceed the numerical limits the Codex Astartes imposed. We know that, at the height of the Space Wolves’ power, Fenris was capable of sustaining the manpower needs of a legion of roughly 130,000 Space Marines. As such, it’s likely that, rather than wasting resources, after the Second Founding the Space Wolves simply cut back their recruitment to just a percentage or two of what they had once taken.

I don’t believe the Black Templars have ever been conclusively counted.

As for the Space Wolves, it may not be a case of being recklessly wasteful. I haven’t read Wraight’s work on them, but my understanding is that the tragedy of the Wolf Brothers Chapter qualified that only Fenrisian recruits were viable candidates for receiving the Canis Helix. As Imperial politics and paranoia post-Heresy probably disqualified the idea of multiple Chapters from sharing a single planet, the Space Wolves were denied the opportunity to found Successors (until the Ultima Founding, of course). Within that context, it’s plausible that the Space Wolves used their pedigree, influence as a First Founding Chapter, and unique situation as an excuse to exceed the numerical limits the Codex Astartes imposed. We know that, at the height of the Space Wolves’ power, Fenris was capable of sustaining the manpower needs of a legion of roughly 130,000 Space Marines. As such, it’s likely that, rather than wasting resources, after the Second Founding the Space Wolves simply cut back their recruitment to just a percentage or two of what they had once taken.

Their conflicts with the Thousand Sons and the Inquisition/Grey Knights don't help

Even attrition-based Legions like the World Eaters and Iron Warriors didn't take a lot of casualties in the Great Crusade in comparison to the Horus Heresy/Great Scouring

Iron warriors took immense casualties during the crusade. Perturabo was just that good with logistics; his legion would have been the largest if he didn't also grind them down.

The sheer amount of recruitment is one of the big reasons Olympia rebelled; the black judges took far less as a tithe than their "saviour"

Iron warriors took immense casualties during the crusade. Perturabo was just that good with logistics; his legion would have been the largest if he didn't also grind them down.

The sheer amount of recruitment is one of the big reasons Olympia rebelled; the black judges took far less as a tithe than their "saviour"

In comparison to the Horus Heresy/Great Scouring

Beta-Garmon alone had more casualties than all of the last five years of the Great Crusade

Archived