Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

basic basing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Vorenus

Vorenus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 357 posts

Noob question here.  I have a bunch of bases that need actual basing materials on them.  I also have a bag of GW sand.  What kind of glue should I use for that?  Is regular old Elmer's glue good enough to glue sand to a base?

"I was told there would be cake.  The cake is a lie."  --Sten, DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS

"More corpses."  --Avitus, DAWN OF WAR II

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,655 posts

Yeah. Regular old Elmer's glue. Or Super glue if you want to make 100% sure it's staying there :lol:

Vorenus

Vorenus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 357 posts

Thank you, that's very helpful.  Follow-up question:  I believe you can actually paint the GW sand.  Is this something you should do after it is glued to the base?  Or before?  If before you glue it, how do you even do that?  Thanks.

"I was told there would be cake.  The cake is a lie."  --Sten, DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS

Lord Raven 19

Lord Raven 19

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 157 posts
I use superglue to get a very nice effect. Paint sand on base but the best way is apply before priming
Lord Raven19

Lord of Deliverence and Scion of Tallarn; Baron of Krastellan; Champion of Mortarion.

Victorus aut Mortis

Vorenus

Vorenus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 357 posts

Thank you, that is very helpful.

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 12,901 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
PVA (available in any craft store) is fine for sand too. Up to you if you want to cover the rims or not. If you don't, then you can paint these any colour you want.

Sand will peel off if it's not painted. Personally, I'd recommend watering your paints down like normal (or base before you use a spray undercoat going forward).

Depending on the sand, you may need to wash it first (i.e. beach sand)

gallery_62972_14467_5178.jpggallery_62972_14467_1351.jpgETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_01.gETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_AnETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_03.gifETL_Medal_05.gifgallery_62972_14467_4151.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Blogs Blood Angels | Veritas Vitae | Battle Reports | Terrain | IXth Legion | Miscellaneous Imperials
1000 Scout list W:0 D:0 L:3
1250 Death Company List (jump)  W:0 D:0 L:2
1500 Light Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Dreadnought List W:0 D:0 L:1
1750 Hybrid List W:1 D:0 L:0
1850 Death Company List (mech) W:0 D:0 L:0
2000 Heavy Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Two Towers List W:4 D:0 L:1
Apocalypse W:1 D:0 L:0 | Heresy 2500 Mechanised IXth W:0 D:0 L:0

Ciler

Ciler

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,847 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Once sand is glued to the base, you can also paint over some watered down PVA glue to hold it in place before painting. The glue is white but dries transparent.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. Revelations 6:8
Album link, Thread on the BT subforum

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users