Eye lenses

Axineton

Right then I’m pretty poop at painting eye lenses on space marines but I’d like to know if anyone knows what green to use for Ultramarines sergeants, as I’m not sure.

Any techniques for doing them would also be a bonus too.

As far as technique, I use a gem-style method for painting lenses on Marines: Painting Lenses Post in DA Paint Comparison

As far as colors (I'm assuming you mean for red helms), I would use:

-Abaddon Black (or your preferred pure black/satin black)

-Caliban Green (or your preferred hunter green or similar)

-Warpstone Glow (or your preferred medium green or similar)

-Moot Green (or your preferred light green-yellow or similar)

-Glaze everything with Waywatcher Green (likely don't need this step if you aren't using GW paints)

-Add white dot with White Scar (or other bright white/titanium white or similar)

Cheers guys I’ll try these out.

Make sure to let us know when you have results posted! I don't post in the Forge as much as I used to, but I alway peruse the threads to see what people are doing (especially if it lets me "yoink" the good ideas :ph34r: ).

Cheers guys I’ll try these out.

Make sure to let us know when you have results posted! I don't post in the Forge as much as I used to, but I alway peruse the threads to see what people are doing (especially if it lets me "yoink" the good ideas :ph34r: ).

It’ll be in the Ultramarines subforum mate that’s where I’ve got my wip in my Ultras thread.

My method (can't remember where I got it from but it may well have been Warhammer TV):

1. Fully paint helmet (the eye sockets just have an ink recess of whatever your choice is)
  2. Paint a line of white (or Ulthuan Grey) across the socket
  3. Run the ink color of choice into the socket.

I basicly do my eye lenses as outlined in How to paint citadel miniatures space marines, a bit old fashioned perhaps.

Not often I do green eyes though, but the one time I did I could follow their outline more or less exactly.

Paints: Calibangreen -> Warpstone Glow -> Moot green -> White Scar

Basicly, fill the eye lense up with caliban green, then warpstone glow towards the forward/bottom half of the eye, followed by moot green even further forward/towards the bottom. Finally do a small white dot of WS at the back of the eye.

med_gallery_65134_15160_8651.jpg

This is my repulsor gunner, so my phone camera had a hard time in focusing on him, but you can kinda make it out.

I am curious of all this gel paint stuff, even though it sounds like cheating :P

• 2 weeks later...

My method (can't remember where I got it from but it may well have been Warhammer TV):

• Fully paint helmet (the eye sockets just have an ink recess of whatever your choice is)
  • Paint a line of white (or Ulthuan Grey) across the socket
  • Run the ink color of choice into the socket.

From the 12M challenge thread:

February - Vow Complete

gallery_62972_9848_3834.jpg

gallery_62972_9848_21127.jpg

gallery_62972_9848_26587.jpg

What do 28mm heroic scale miniatures and 6mm scale combat walkers have in common?

Their "viewports" are relatively small compared to the overall size of the miniature and benefit from some reflection/glass effects.

A technique known as 'jeweling' can be used to great effect, for tutorials see e.g.

I've taken to doing the following for my CSM:
>Paint eyes with metallic of choice (I use Molotow Liquid Chrome but Stormhost Silver should do fine too depending on desired effect).

>Coat eyes with clear paint of choice (I hasten to add it needs to be a clear paint and not a wash, as washes will dull the metallic paint).

Bish bash bosh, shiny reflective eye lenses.

I've taken to doing the following for my CSM:

>Paint eyes with metallic of choice (I use Molotow Liquid Chrome but Stormhost Silver should do fine too depending on desired effect).

>Coat eyes with clear paint of choice (I hasten to add it needs to be a clear paint and not a wash, as washes will dull the metallic paint).

Bish bash bosh, shiny reflective eye lenses.

You can use washes if you use the Gloss versions, or make your own (2 Parts Wash: 1 Part 'Ardcoat), because that doesn't dull the metallic paint.

But what you do is basically what I'm planning on doing with my models in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived