Thoughts about the new codex

antique_nova

Not sold on the Jackals, but then I'm not sold on the Ridgerunner either and am trying to work multiples of them into a list. What a model! The Jackals are great but not a must take (model wise) for me.

The units I'm really struggling with are the transports though. I love the models and originally envisaged 3 of them in a list with 3 Ridgerunners. The problem is with all the units that might go inside the transport able to deep strike, it does seem like spending 100 points or so to make a unit of Infantry worse...

Lend a cultist a hand (or 2, or 3), how are you using transports at the moment if at all?

I have two Goliath's but they never seem to make it into lists I build. The Vigilus detachment for them doesn't give much distance and I'm not a fan of the auto cannons hitting on 5s. I consider them for a bunker role every now and thenbas contents can shoot out to camp on an objective. I considered filling them with hand flamers too for drive by burning but Lying in Wait is so much better.

Natbrannigan, also consider that even though almost everything can deepstrike you still need units in your deployment first turn. This units have to A) be able to survive long enough for the rest of your army to show up or B ) be able to join the rest of your army when they do show up. Between the perfect ambush and laying in wait, you getting what 4-6 total deepstrikes in key positions over the course of thre turns.

I think that’s the key value in units like the bikes and ridge runners. GW want us to able to relay on more than just deepstrike to get units were you need them.

Lascannon squads in Goliaths with Bladed Cog creed as a truck bunker. Enemy squads get close - just drive away and keep shooting at full BS.

Would be really cool if we could but only cult troops can go in Goliath's and only BB troops can go in chimeras

Easily replaced by neophytes with 2 mining lasers and even 2 grenade launcher and if you feel like it.

My biggest issue with Jackals is the survivability. -1 to hit is nice but i still feel they will get erased so easily at T4/+5. You would need some pretty large units of them to work.

Depends on perspective... like 1 squad on the table cannot be relied on in any way to survive and capture the objective or throw the grenades or whatever... but they're 10 points, which for T4 and -1 to hit is actually really tough from a value perspective. Even more so for the quad, 17pts for 4 wounds at T4 and -1 to hit is kinda crazy tough.

Depends on your list tho, if they're your only multi wound models they'll be heavy weapon bait, next to bigger things they'll be annoying to deal with. I can see an outrider detachment of them playing nicely alongside a nid list for example

So something has been bothering me, in the rules for revealing ambush markers it states that "...even though the unit has arrived from reserves..." so does that mean that everything set up in ambush, whether underground or as a blip, counts against your tactical reserves limit? If so that means if you decide to go with the max amount of stuff in reserves you can't use any blips...

Not a rules observation, but I found the use of the plurals "Maguses" and "Locuses" throughout the Codex really jarring. I can't understand what the reasoning is to not just use "Magi" and "Loci".

You didn’t hear? GW just got the copyrights for maguses and locuses.

This may be a stupid question but for the arriving from underground rule, it says "at the end of any of your movement phases".

Does this mean we are exempt from the turn 2 rule or does that still apply?

It still applies, they're just keeping it in line with every other army with similar rules. FAQs overrule codexes even if the codex came after the FAQ, IIRC

The rule underground ambush is that you can deploy the models at the end of the movement phase, even turn one. However, matched play rules say that no reserves can be placed turn one. So in open and narrative play, go ahead and underground ambush turn one, but you have to wait for turn two in matched play.

So something has been bothering me, in the rules for revealing ambush markers it states that "...even though the unit has arrived from reserves..." so does that mean that everything set up in ambush, whether underground or as a blip, counts against your tactical reserves limit? If so that means if you decide to go with the max amount of stuff in reserves you can't use any blips...

No, WHC confirmed you can deploy entirely as markers in matched play. Just underground counts.

It's at the end:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/02/02/pre-order-today-new-genestealer-cults/

I have two Goliath's but they never seem to make it into lists I build. The Vigilus detachment for them doesn't give much distance and I'm not a fan of the auto cannons hitting on 5s. I consider them for a bunker role every now and thenbas contents can shoot out to camp on an objective. I considered filling them with hand flamers too for drive by burning but Lying in Wait is so much better.

Well, I didn't have my transports painted up last I played the list... so here's hoping they're not wasted points in the end. Still - the minis are too good not to include IMO, and I'm excited to use them as the ostensible 'bait units' that tempt the enemy into cunningly laid traps ; )

I think on its own, the Goliath chassis is probably 'fine' for what it is; the big difference probably comes in when it can act as a screen for lighter armour/range assets like the Ridgerunner, Russes, or even sentinels...

Basically I feel like the Goliaths don't force too many target priority tests on their own; they help in the early game firepower and staying power dept., but there's a significant delay on the speed with which you can actually pull off a Rockgrinder assault, meaning that they'll be massive fire magnets in the two first rounds. However, with a pair of Ridgrunners and about 3 Sentinels on the back line, all of a sudden that calculus is alot different, and you leave enemy ranged units to ponder whether to counter your long range or short range assets first, and with any luck and good positioning on your end it won't matter at all in the end anyway as their lines are swarmed with mutants...

So I guess basically I'm hoping that taking a decent selection of armoured units is going to let me play just one more headgame with the opponent and score a few high-quality early kills before the real Ambush starts... If they're responding to your armoured deployment, all the more likely that you can find a good chink in the line to funnel Ambushers in underground!

Now I just need to get through the final ~20 minis of the horde before starting in on some Ridgerunners and Sentinels.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Something I did notice was that rockgrinders have gone up to WS 4+, but it still receives the Primus buff, meaning by themselves they're hitting pretty well but with a Primus they're actually very good at anti tank in CQB. On top of this they also dropped points, got big buffs to heavy mining lasers now at D3 shots as well as the clearance flamers being 2D6. For 110 points they're honestly pretty terrifying and quite resilient. Just as well my 2000 point list has 4...

I wonder if blip deployments are eligible targets for auspex scan?

I would play it that way. Page 79 under cult ambush clearly states that the revealed unit arrived from reserves, but can move.

Edit: arrived as reinforcments

A small problem I can see with the codex so far that I'm not sure if it's a spelling mistake or what, but the wolfquad can take a mining laser that seems like it's a mix of the normal and heavy mining lasers. It's 1 shot as normal but does D6 damage instead of D3. Not sure if it's a mistake or if taking it on the quad makes it different

Normal mining lasers do d6 damage. The difference between heavy and normal is the range and number of shots.

Normal mining lasers are 1 shot at D3 damage still, heavy are now D3 at D6 damage now. The quad is 1 shot at D6 damage

I just double checked my codex and normal  lasers are in fact d6 damage. unless it's a typo in my book.

Archived