Thoughts about the new codex

antique_nova

Hmm. Interesting. Dakkadakka has a big thread on this, here is what was posted. Seems like it might work

Yeah, I saw that thread and that interpretation around Reddit too. I still feel like its questionable though - FAQ worthy for sure.

I think this stems from the fact that all rules are written in non-matched play format. Specifically regarding Cult Ambush - setting up underground is effectively tactical reserves - thus turn 2 deployment in matched play.

Kind of feels like this was just intended to slightly break the 50% deployment rule - not provide turn 1 charge opportunities.

I would love to be wrong - if it is allowed that is a really good strategem.

...On top of that, with 4 GSC units being able to deploy within 9" of the enemy turn one...

Sorry if I missed something but how are you getting this? Blips must be deployed in our deployment zone, all deepstrike rules apply to those underground (no turn 1 outside of your deployment, etc)

Yup. In summary, according to the FAQ, the blips count as being units on board. 

Because of this, you can use "They Came From Below" to reveal and deploy at the end of your movement phase in turn 1. 

That's three. 

The fourth will be "Telepathic Summons"   

Hmm. Interesting. Dakkadakka has a big thread on this, here is what was posted. Seems like it might work

Yeah, I saw that thread and that interpretation around Reddit too. I still feel like its questionable though - FAQ worthy for sure.

I think this stems from the fact that all rules are written in non-matched play format. Specifically regarding Cult Ambush - setting up underground is effectively tactical reserves - thus turn 2 deployment in matched play.

Kind of feels like this was just intended to slightly break the 50% deployment rule - not provide turn 1 charge opportunities.

I would love to be wrong - if it is allowed that is a really good strategem.

I think it is very possible to be nerfed in the next FAQ, but honestly hope not, because with bubbling and the like, a few units in the face are hardly game breaking :/ 

Personally I've used it every game, without the turn 1 strike, at 1cp it's an absolutely steal.

Actually I've basically used it everytime I've built a list, to maximise what I plan on putting in reserves

If someone used vect, I'd blow plan in making for sure to get those units in reserve

It'll still be very good, but I can't see the workaround to turn 1 deep strike remaining, its a crazy steal at the moment RAW

• 2 weeks later...

Some questions if you'll oblige me!

First up is the above clarified? Can you "they came from below" 3 units so that they can deep strike 1st turn?

Second, Achilles Ridgerunners and scout moves. They get the 9" move after deployment and before the 1st turn. Does that mean you reveal their blip then and move? Move the blip? Or simply that you can't deploy your Ridgerunners as a blip if you want to take advantage of that move?

Finally, if I take some Guard vehicles as a separate detachment (2 Leman Russ tanks, a Basilisk and a HWT for instance) can they deploy as blips or do they just get deployed on the table? Not a massive deal for me either way, just wanted to know.

Cheers!

1) From what ive researched this does seem to be the case. That is how its played at the major tournaments and such. The rules logic seems to support it as well. Would be nice to have an official FAQ on it though.

2) If you are using the Scout move i believe it has to start on the table as it is a pre- T1 move and blips cant leave the deployment zone.

3) If its an Astra Militarum Brood Brothers detachment no cult ambush - deploy as normal.

Lovely! Cheers for that. Just wondering if I can deploy the Ridgerunners as blips and reveal them at the end of the deployment phase for the scout move. Would be a tiny tiny advantage and fun, but I'm not worried about it particularly.

Glad the tanks won't be ambusing, be back to the days of Creed making squadrons of Baneblades appear from behind a bush!

Archived