Load out opinions/advice: Veterans with Storm Shields

plasmaspam

Grateful for any opinion and advice the Legion might offer on best load outs for Vets with Storm Shields (Stormwing vets, if you will... ;))

I'll be running five of them in a Redeemer alongside Master with Lions Roar and Power Sword, Champion, Ancient, Apothecary, and Librarian.

Initial thought was a mix of Melta and Flamer to support the assault orientation of the rest of the squad. Then I remember they're not actually all a squad any more, so do I go plasma for maximum damage output, whilst the CC characters can still charge regardless?

Thanks in anticipation.

P.

First of all, are you looking for fluffy/characterfull, or effective? If the former, I'd make each model unique, with different types of close combat weapon. Not that it would necessarily be ineffective, but definitely more aesthetically pleasing rather than mathematically efficient.

However, if you're looking for sheer effectiveness, I'd suggest 5 veterans all with storm bolter and storm shield. Basically like 30k Breachers, but more heavily armed. Let your HQ characters do the heavy lifting in melee, while the vets soak damage and provide supporting fire.

Thanks Spaced Hulk, now you've made me think. Do I want them to look good? Obviously. But do i want them to be effective? Absolutely!

Running the numbers concurs with your advice about SB's against MEQ's, and you have accurately deduced that I intend for the characters to be the ones moving into CC, the vets are meant to be a bulwark of short- to mid-range firepower.

I think I need to run some numbers for CC against TEQ then to be clear on what this overall unit is capable of, then I'll know whether to go SB's as you've said, or still be tempted by some melta or plasma for heavier punch.

• 2 weeks later...

I had never considered this kind of loadout... But now, I am seriously interested.

I mean, 5 veterans with storm shields and storm bolters (combat shield on the sgt), goes for just 92 points.

Thats SERIOUSLY good, for their save and amount of shots!

It's 10 bolter shots on the move, which they will be throughout most of the game. It's not going to be the end of the world for opponents, albeit more efficient than regular marines, no doubt.

While it does look cool, they will die the same to chaff shooting with or without storm shields, and if two or more go down, no matter how lucky you are with your apothecary, you're gonna end up short.

That said, I can definitely see the appeal both in trying them and the aesthetics. Problem for me is I don't have any more vets to build (more than 20 of them should be enough). I would much rather run the less cool looking aggressors with boltstorm gauntlets. They might not have 3++, but t5 2w does count for something, and they put out a lot more shots than the vets, although they also cost more.

But if I were to do the vet squad, I would probably get the deathwatch shields, as they appear more breacher like to me.

Regards

Sneaky

I ended up running a single 3 man squad with the SS/SB loadout, combat shield on the sgt. They got focus-fired off the table turn one (there was hidden deployment for the nids and chaos side, they were left pretty exposed.

Gotta play more games to get a handle on these guys.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I've been chewing on this since my last game. What role would these vets fill? At 92 points, five shield and Storm Bolter vets feel like a cheap replacement for Aggressors. I'm working on a list that runs two full squads in this loadout as a second screen between my scouts and castle.

Archived