Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Legion of the Iron Lions

Dark Angels Successor Unforgiven Legion of the Iron Lions Chapter

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,132 posts

New changes reflected in 1st post. they are as follows:

• Added chapter scheme, along with revised chapter badge
  • old chapter badge is personal heraldry of Razgriz
  • Added helmet schemes for SGT's, LT's, Centurions, and Legion Guard

Next Step:

• expand legion and the unforgiven section
  • expand on Iron/Lion Wing organization and roles

• Brother Lunkhead and Messor like this
"Honor the Legion" - Warcry and Motto of the Legion of the Iron Lions.
k0EYErV.png

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,132 posts

New changes reflected in 1st post. they are as follows

• added background on Iron/Lion Wing
  • reorganization of 1st post, trying to add fluidity

​Next Step:

• The Chaplaincy 
  • The Legion Guard
  • The Centurions
  • Revise Legion and the Unforgiven

All input welcome! 

k0EYErV.png

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,132 posts

Ive created a battle doctrine for the chapter. let me know what you think.

Always steadily on the advance, the Legion eradicates their foes with accurate and deadly fire.  As one squad lays down fire, the other will advance. Before their foes can realize what has happened, the astartes of the Legion are upon them. With blades drawn, the legionnaires eradicate their enemies. 
The legionnaires of the Iron Lion have developed an affinity for the spear, for the flamer, and for the plasma weapon in order to fight their most hated foe, the green tide. Close combat squads march into battle with chain spears and wrist mounted bolters and flamers. Tactical and hellblaster squads armed with plasma weaponry aim to take down ork nobs and bosses. Contemptor and redemptor dreadnoughts storm into the maelstrom of battle unleashing a hail of fire and plasma into the ramshackle vehicles of the orks.  However, on occasion when facing a large Waahg, support will be needed. They call upon their unique ally, Magos Explorator Reslpo Telfa. The Magos has been known to bring the full might of his fleet, which includes a Knight Host and a warhound pack, upon the enemies of the Iron Lions.  As such, not even the mighty stompa can against the combine might of the two armies. 

Edited by jbaeza94, 08 August 2019 - 07:11 AM.

k0EYErV.png

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,380 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves

Close combat squads march into battle with chain spears and wrist mounted bolters and flamers.

Spears are thrusting weapons, while chainblades are slashing weapons; I think you mean "power spears." Wrist-mounted weapons are a good idea, freeing both hands to wield a spear; but they're relatively rare in the Imperium as well as in-game, meaning you'll have to kitbash your own wrist-mounted weapons, or buy lots of Grey Knights and Vulkan He'stan models (and spending a lot of time removing Grey Knights and Salamanders Chapter icons from them).

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,132 posts
Maybe chain spear is not the right word. Below is a link to what I'll be using for my assault marines. I want a spear like item, but still be able to say, this is a chainsword for wysiwyg purposes. After seeing what the night lords called theirs, maybe chain glaive will be a more appropriate name.

https://www.shapeway...tionId=65463194

I have quite a few sanguinary guard arms with wrist mounted bolters, count as bolt pistols, and 2 wrist mounted plasma, got a good deal on Ebay. If i need more, i think I'll just be adding bolt pistols to the forearm. The flamer will be a little harder to model, i think ill be getting combi flamer tops for that one.
  • Messor likes this
k0EYErV.png

Deus-Naps Immortalis

Deus-Naps Immortalis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords-Alpha Legion

Maybe chain spear is not the right word. Below is a link to what I'll be using for my assault marines. I want a spear like item, but still be able to say, this is a chainsword for wysiwyg purposes. After seeing what the night lords called theirs, maybe chain glaive will be a more appropriate name.

Looking at the picture, it seems like it would be a power glaive and a chainsword combo. Seems a little pointless to have both on one weapon. A powered weapon sheathes the entire blade in an energy field, disrupting solid matter. Chainswords on the other hand are best used against lightly armoured targets. Why have the chainsword when the powered glaive-head does the same thing, other things, and does them all better? Just food for thought.

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,380 posts
Call them "chainglaives" or "chainscythes"?

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,132 posts

Looking at the picture, it seems like it would be a power glaive and a chainsword combo. Seems a little pointless to have both on one weapon. A powered weapon sheathes the entire blade in an energy field, disrupting solid matter. Chainswords on the other hand are best used against lightly armoured targets. Why have the chainsword when the powered glaive-head does the same thing, other things, and does them all better? Just food for thought.
I understand the logic behind the weapon is not there. This weapon design is falling more on the rule of cool than anything.

I also feel the chainblade part makes it a good enough proxy for tabletop purposes, which is important to me. Additionally, they wouldn't be painted as power weapons (you know, the traditional black-blue-white transitions with some lighting most people use), just standard metal that astartes use for their knives. With added chain teeth of course. Actual power glaives, while being of a similar and toothless design, will have the traditional power blade paint scheme to make them clearly visible and distinguishable. Below is the power glaive design I'd be using.
https://www.shapeway...tionId=65300809

Brother Bjorn, i think i will go with the name chainglaive moving forward. I am calling them all glaives in fact. the long blade used for slashing disqualifies it from being a spear ha.

Edited by jbaeza94, 09 August 2019 - 04:43 AM.

• Messor likes this
k0EYErV.png

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,132 posts

With C: SM out, ive decided to start thinking of ways to represent the lions with chapter tactics! 

no power gaming here, just fluffy rules. id like to represent the melee and flame/plasma prowess. other things that could be represented is their affinity for bionics and hatred of orks. here are a few ideas.

preferred enemy: orks.  simple and straightforward, reroll failed melee hits on the charge/charged/heroic intervention

duelist. 6s auto wound. shows how the lions are great at close combat. would use when not fighting orks

warded. 5+ fnp vs mw. bionics make marines harder to kill. inspired by iron hands

stalwart. ignore unmodified rolls of 1 and 2. again, bionics making marines harder to kill. 

long range marksman. +3" to weapon range. adds a little more to rapid fire range, and makes flamers a deadly 12 in range. fluffy for the sake of fire.

i think a good combo would be preferred enemy: orks and long range marksman. it fits into my battle doctrine that i had written up. 

another combo would be duelist and stalwart. shows the ability to fight and deadliness of a pole arm, while bionic augmentation adds a slightly to the  survivability to the individual. 

thoughts?

k0EYErV.png

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,380 posts
Preferred Enemy (Orks) is probably acceptable, though other players may judge it overspecialized. Duelist seems fine.

Warded is too similar to the Iron Hands' The Flesh Is Weak. You should emphasize the Iron Lions are Lion El'Jonson's sons, not Ferrus Manus'. Stalwart is probably acceptable, though a more dramatic name is likely desirable- maybe "Iron Will, Leonine Determination"?

Long Range Marksman seems like cheating. Best limit its applications to certain weapons, e.g., allow certain units (Vehicles in addition to Infantry and Jump Infantry) to use "extended range boltshells" and "heavy boltshells" that increase bolt pistol, boltgun, storm bolter range by 6" (IIRC, those weapons use the same ammo, with the pistol range limited due to its lack of a shoulder stock to stabilize the shooter's firing position); Absolver bolt pistol, assault bolter, and boltstorm gauntlets' ranged attack by 6"; heavy bolter range by 12". Explain to other players doing so increases the units' point values.

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker, 19 August 2019 - 02:47 AM.

• Brother Lunkhead likes this

jbaeza94

jbaeza94

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,132 posts

I see what you mean about PE: Orks. Duelist seems fair enough, and applicable to everyone. i would much rather take a melee speciality for the chapter vs a shooting one, since i feel it fits the chapter better.

Stalwart is my preferred between it and warded. i really like the fluff bit for it:

How does one defeat warriors whose willpower and determination are so ferocious that they can shrug off even the most catastrophic injuries and keep on fighting?

it kind of reminds me of the Grim Resolve wording:

The stalwart descendants of the Lion are renowned for their unshakeable resolve, enduring tenacity, and strict fire discipline.

Although not exactly the same, it speaks to the character of all Unforgiven. The Iron Lions are steady in their advance, their augmented bodies as enduring as their resolve.

I like the idea of "Iron Will, Leonine Determination". With some tweaks, i would like it to represent the chapter tactic as a whole, instead of just the stalwart half of it. similar to how the other chapters have Grim Resolve, Siege Masters, No Matter the Odds, etc represent the whole chapter tactic. Names could be:

Iron Will, Leonine Determination

Iron Resolve, Leonine Ferocity

Blessing of Iron, Fury of the Lion

The chapter motto, Honour the Legion

thanks alot for the help Bjorn and suggestions.

• Bjorn Firewalker likes this
k0EYErV.png

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,380 posts
How about a Special Rule in which, when a certain unit loses a Wound, this unit's Attack and Movement stats increase +1 until the game ends, to represent this unit's refusal to die before completing the mission? (I'm taking inspiration from Lemartes' Special Rules in a previous edition Codex: Blood Angels, but replacing his increased Strength with increased Movement.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Angels Successor, Unforgiven, Legion of the Iron Lions Chapter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users