Update on Tiamet and the Genestealer Cults

Shinros

So I got the codex today and there is a host of new lore in there, it describes how cults can take over whole sectors if something happens to the hive fleet being guided towards it, it also notes how it may even take centuries or more for the nids to arrive at the world. Plus there is a story where cultists are fully aware of what the nids will do to them and are eager for when it's their turn to be killed by them. So yeah...go to town with your cults at the end of the day. 

Still this topic is about tiamet and what they are building. The nid codex explained that they are calling cults to the world and now we are getting a small answer as to why and they are not being called to be killed. This was the last entry on the "timeline" part of the codex. 

Here is excerpt 

Tiamet Rising 

"Ziaphoria, the repugnant and anomalous jungle planet claimed by Hive Fleet Tiamet, becomes a site of a disturbing new development in the curse of tyrannoforming, the hyper-accelerated biological process that overcomes the prey worlds of the Hive Mind. There the conquering hive fleets have constructed vast psychic resonators of fleshy, encephalitic material - some of the size of mountains, some large enough to cover entire continents. 

The world forms the end point of a vast pilgrimage of genestealer cultists from the nearby Heinrich's march. Led by a blind prophet known as the Conduit, they depart from a world plagued by the Dark Gods, plying the stars to eventually land upon Ziaphoria's pulsating crust. Those who touch the corrupted earth with their bare flesh are instantly bought in thrall to it - an convince their brethren to go back into space as missionaries, carrying the Creed of Tiamet to as many imperial worlds as possible. They are first of dozens of interstellar pilgrimages that seek out Ziaphoria, and in doing so, add to its power. The Tyranids of Hive Fleet Tiamet defend the planet so ferociously it is declared Quaratine Extremis and abandoned entirely by the Imperium. 

Only the Deathwatch of nearby Haltmoat and Inquisitor Kryptman, who comes out of exile to join them - have any inkling of the threat posed by the immense psychic resonator of Tiamet. The theories they discuss long into the night are so wild, and the other threats facing the Imperium so dire, that they are given little credence by the wider Inquisition." 

So...I will start with my own thoughts which is all speculation by the way. It's obvious to me they are building a beacon, most likely to call the true face of the Tyranids. The interesting part to me was the fact Tiamet called the Genestealer Cultists, not to nom them but to essentially turn them into heralds, adding to the beacon since they allow them to leave the world. 

Plus Kryptman is coming back into the plot, I recall someone who attended LVO recently reported that GW are going to be making changes to the 40k setting, I wonder if this is a part of that? Or a hint? Who knows the Tyranids we see now might be only hunting dogs or animals of whatever is in charge of them. 

If you remember the Silent King left the galaxy and came back stating the nids are the true threat and then went on a spree to wake up tomb worlds. Maybe this plot line will be developed with the Necrons as well? 

I went back to the nid codex, this was the original entry on the Tiamet page. So the GSC codex it tells us what happened to the people, so Tiamet is calling GSC and then sending them away, but they kill and nom everyone else. 

Here is the extract 

Call to the Void 

"Upon the world of Heinrich's March, worshippers of the Dark gods work their tortured slaves to death as they attempt to erect a monolithic ziggurat in honour of their foul patrons. A new and hidden cult propagates admist the persecuted masses: the Choir of the Void. it's leader, the blind prophet known as the Conduit, preaches that a savior race from beyond the stars awaits them in a far-off place, a paradise planet where they will find salvation. In a great uprising, millions of slaves overwhelm their masters and commander several dozen cargo hulks. The armada of the faithful makes for the nearby Tiamet System, guided by the visions of the Conduit."

This is so sweet! I love this Hivefleet

Krash

Yeah I think this is pretty big, the Hive Mind is actively not eating the Choir of the Void or those who come to Tiamet's world, instead they become heralds of...something. 

I'd love to see the narrative switch forcus for a bit to something like Tyranids vs Necrons, with the Imperium, for once, only being involved on the sidelines.

Of course, it'll never happen. We're not allowed plot deveopment that doesn't involve Marines.

Well the Imperium are already involved, going by the Nid codex Kryptman wants to destroy the structures but essentially as stated by the GSC codex the wider inquisition are turning a blind eye to it since it's not really a problem at the moment. *cought'aucough*

edit:I imagine deathwatch will be a big player in this event if it comes to the limelight. 

I do think Necrons VS Tyranids would be interesting, but I do wonder do you think the Hive mind will ignore worlds that are spreading the creed of Tiamet? It had the opportunity to nom them but it didn't. Plus it does say Tiamet is gathering biomass for the structure. 

Oh and I am totally making a cult that follows the creed of Tiamet. *Gets Kabalite green ready.*

I've been thinking about this a bit more and I think I've got a theory.

GW have spent decades hinting that the Tyranids we've seen so far are the advance force for a much larger amount of Hive Fleets, or maybe even one super-Hive Fleet. They've also made it clear that if that's the case and if said mass of Tyranids arrive, the Imperium is screwed. They don't have the numbers to stop the Tyranids. Other races are even smaller so won't be able to put up much of a fight. Maybe a fully unified Ork empire could do it, but I'm not sure even Ghazgkull has that kind of clout.

That kind of approaching, unavoidable doom is fantastic for a 10 minutes to midnight setting, like 40k has been for so long. But now we're heading into 9:50 minutes to midnight those Hive Fleets can't stay as an existential threat forever. GW could keep them as never arriving, but that would feel very forced and undermine the threat of Tyranids. Not good after 25+ years of hearing about what a big deal they are.

I'm sure GW knows this and knows that they need to advance the Tyranid's storyline, but do so without them eating the entire galaxy or being so much of a threat they make the threat of Chaos, Orks and other factions a side show. The Tyranids need a foil, one that isn't just Imperial plot armour.

The perfect foil would be an awoken Necron race. They have the numbers and technology to wage such a war and bring the Hive Fleets advance to a standstill and they have the motivation to defend the galaxy against the Tyranids. On top of that, Tyranids and Necrons are the galaxies ultimate recyclers and, in a way, diametrically opposed. One is the ultimate biological evolution, the other the ultimate non-biological stagnation. Both race's ability to keep throwing the same troops back into the fight after they're destroyed, albeit using different methods, would be perfect for a conflict on this scale that doesn't need to be resolved i.e. exactly what you want in a game setting where "There is only war".

I've been thinking about this a bit more and I think I've got a theory.

GW have spent decades hinting that the Tyranids we've seen so far are the advance force for a much larger amount of Hive Fleets, or maybe even one super-Hive Fleet. They've also made it clear that if that's the case and if said mass of Tyranids arrive, the Imperium is screwed. They don't have the numbers to stop the Tyranids. Other races are even smaller so won't be able to put up much of a fight. Maybe a fully unified Ork empire could do it, but I'm not sure even Ghazgkull has that kind of clout.

That kind of approaching, unavoidable doom is fantastic for a 10 minutes to midnight setting, like 40k has been for so long. But now we're heading into 9:50 minutes to midnight those Hive Fleets can't stay as an existential threat forever. GW could keep them as never arriving, but that would feel very forced and undermine the threat of Tyranids. Not good after 25+ years of hearing about what a big deal they are.

I'm sure GW knows this and knows that they need to advance the Tyranid's storyline, but do so without them eating the entire galaxy or being so much of a threat they make the threat of Chaos, Orks and other factions a side show. The Tyranids need a foil, one that isn't just Imperial plot armour.

The perfect foil would be an awoken Necron race. They have the numbers and technology to wage such a war and bring the Hive Fleets advance to a standstill and they have the motivation to defend the galaxy against the Tyranids. On top of that, Tyranids and Necrons are the galaxies ultimate recyclers and, in a way, diametrically opposed. One is the ultimate biological evolution, the other the ultimate non-biological stagnation. Both race's ability to keep throwing the same troops back into the fight after they're destroyed, albeit using different methods, would be perfect for a conflict on this scale that doesn't need to be resolved i.e. exactly what you want in a game setting where "There is only war".

Oh...I like this. Now I have been wondering those that follow the Creed of Tiamet do hive fleets ignore them?(Unless they are starved of Biomass) since the Hive mind made the conscious choice to spare them and be the heralds of whatever the true face of the Tyranids is. Since they are fully aware of what the star-children are since those who follow the creed or follow someone who has made the pilgrimage to Ziaphoria. 

Honestly I think it's cool that GSC now have a "cardinal/shrine" world to journey to. 

Both race's ability to keep throwing the same troops back into the fight after they're destroyed, albeit using different methods, would be perfect for a conflict on this scale that doesn't need to be resolved i.e. exactly what you want in a game setting where "There is only war".

Love this idea - The Imperium of man sidelined as the Necrontyr and Tyranids go at it, endless ever living (after a fashion) troops. Also humorous to see the Xenophobic relying on an Alien race for survival...

To add to the discussion I am going to post the whole timeline extract of what Tiamet is possibly doing. 

Tyranids 8th edition 

Part of the opening paragraph on Tiamet 

Hive fleet Tiamet is a unique phenomenon: a Tyranid incursion fleet which has claimed a cluster of planets without entirely stripping them of biomass, and continues to guard its conquered territory with single-minded ferocity. 

Then we have theories on the device. 

"What purpose this bizarre device serves is yet unknown, but for the hive mind to devote an entire fleet to its protection is a worrying portent. Ordo Xeno inquisitors have theorised it may be a powerful beacon, guiding yet more Tyranid hive fleets into the galaxy. In recent years, sightings of questing Tiamet tendrils have become worryingly common, as the hive fleet seeks fresh yields of biomass with which to finish its creation. These hosts have proven extremely difficult to kill, shrugging off volumes of fire that should have seen them utterly obliterated." 

A nightmare unearthed 

Far out on the northern edge of the galaxy lies the Tiamet System. This unremarkable region is home to one of the Hive Mind's most disturbing secrets, the truth of which is only now beginning to emerge... 

Call to the Void 

"Upon the world of Heinrich's March, worshippers of the Dark gods work their tortured slaves to death as they attempt to erect a monolithic ziggurat in honour of their foul patrons. A new and hidden cult propagates admist the persecuted masses: the Choir of the Void. it's leader, the blind prophet known as the Conduit, preaches that a savior race from beyond the stars awaits them in a far-off place, a paradise planet where they will find salvation. In a great uprising, millions of slaves overwhelm their masters and commander several dozen cargo hulks. The armada of the faithful makes for the nearby Tiamet System, guided by the visions of the Conduit." 

Ominous Reports 

More and more reports of missing ships and lost fleets drift in to Watch Fortress Haltmoat. The common denominator in each of these cases is that the vessels were last reported in the vicinity of the Tiamet System, far from safe haven. Watch Commander Vilnus orders an immediate survey of the area. 

Dread Discovery 

Kill team Gjynheim departs from Haltmoat to investigate the reports of missing trade fleets near the Tiamet system. (Lexicanum notes Tiamet are gathering ships for some reason.) The Deathwatch drift in-system unnoticed, and land upon Ziaphoria. There, they discover the xenos super-structure that covers the planet's largest continent. When the vast device pulses, sending a tsunami of psychic energy rolling across the planet, the Kill Team's Librarian suffers a catastrophic cranial rupture. 

His screams alert nearby Tyranids, and soon the remaining battle-brothers are surrounded by swarming xenos. Before he and his remaining battle-brothers are torn apart, Watch Sergeant Gjunheim manages to send one final vox transmission to the team's orbiting Corvus Blackstar, warning of the nightmare his men have uncovered. 

The Butcher of Octarius 

Haltmoat receives an unexpected guest - the exiled Inquisitor Kryptman. Watch Commander Vilnus agrees to an audience with the outcast, who has his own grim theories regarding the mysterious Hive Fleet Tiamet. Together, the two begin to formulate a plan that will see whatever the Tyranids are creating utterly obliterated. 

Genestealer Cults 8th edition(The choir of the void was not mentioned at all in 7th) 

Tiamet Rising 

"Ziaphoria, the repugnant and anomalous jungle planet claimed by Hive Fleet Tiamet, becomes a site of a disturbing new development in the curse of tyrannoforming, the hyper-accelerated biological process that overcomes the prey worlds of the Hive Mind. There the conquering hive fleets have constructed vast psychic resonators of fleshy, encephalitic material - some of the size of mountains, some large enough to cover entire continents. 

The world forms the end point of a vast pilgrimage of genestealer cultists from the nearby Heinrich's march. Led by a blind prophet known as the Conduit, they depart from a world plagued by the Dark Gods, plying the stars to eventually land upon Ziaphoria's pulsating crust. Those who touch the corrupted earth with their bare flesh are instantly bought in thrall to it - and convince their brethren to go back into space as missionaries, carrying the Creed of Tiamet to as many imperial worlds as possible. They are first of dozens of interstellar pilgrimages that seek out Ziaphoria, and in doing so, add to its power. The Tyranids of Hive Fleet Tiamet defend the planet so ferociously it is declared Quaratine Extremis and abandoned entirely by the Imperium. 

Only the Deathwatch of nearby Haltmoat and Inquisitor Kryptman, who comes out of exile to join them - have any inkling of the threat posed by the immense psychic resonator of Tiamet. The theories they discuss long into the night are so wild, and the other threats facing the Imperium so dire, that they are given little credence by the wider Inquisition." 

So there are theories this could be a beacon or an anti-warp weapon. Since it causes Eldar and psykers to explode due to the psychic shockwaves that pulse across the world. I assume the Conduit is a Magus, he seems to be fine and those GSC who journey to the world. 

Now since the prophets name is conduit I will bring up the definition. 

A channel for conveying water or other fluid. 

‘nearby springs supplied the conduit which ran into the brewery’ 

More example sentencesSynonyms 

1.1 A person or organization that acts as a channel for the transmission of something. 

‘as an actor you have to be a conduit for other people's words’ 

More example sentences 

2A tube or trough for protecting electric wiring. 

‘the gas pipe should not be close to any electrical conduit’ 

mass noun ‘the cable must be protected by conduit’ 

So perhaps the hive mind is using them to help guide the fleet to the galaxy or perhaps the hive mind wishes to channel itself through the conduit? Plus the extract notes that the pilgrims are the first among many. 

I think the Tyranids are prepping for the arrival of some "Evolved norn queen" or tyranid super species that is intelligent and can communicate.

And its not like "kerrigan a talking zerg from starcraft" its more like, this thing is so alien, even in the way it chooses to communicate it terrifies everyone.

It would literally look at everything like ants, like an ant eater at a ant hive.

Imagine if this world, turns out to be a factory to produce just a few of these super organisms . (primarch equivalents, basically a super conductor and broadcaster to the local milkyway cluster for the hivemind.) Then it turns out that when the task is done, The world becomes a "hivemind" server for the local cluster. and the Super organisms act like processors for it.

imagine the fear, This Tyranid thing can talk in all known languages, and is truely a terror from beyond the outerdark.

Both race's ability to keep throwing the same troops back into the fight after they're destroyed, albeit using different methods, would be perfect for a conflict on this scale that doesn't need to be resolved i.e. exactly what you want in a game setting where "There is only war".

Love this idea - The Imperium of man sidelined as the Necrontyr and Tyranids go at it, endless ever living (after a fashion) troops. Also humorous to see the Xenophobic relying on an Alien race for survival...

as the necron take a sideline to imperium +? fending off the chaos invasion.

I could totally see the TAU being the main focus on a Massive RAKGOL incursion.

I think the Tyranids are prepping for the arrival of some "Evolved norn queen" or tyranid super species that is intelligent and can communicate.

And its not like "kerrigan a talking zerg from starcraft" its more like, this thing is so alien, even in the way it chooses to communicate it terrifies everyone.

It would literally look at everything like ants, like an ant eater at a ant hive.

Imagine if this world, turns out to be a factory to produce just a few of these super organisms . (primarch equivalents, basically a super conductor and broadcaster to the local milkyway cluster for the hivemind.) Then it turns out that when the task is done, The world becomes a "hivemind" server for the local cluster. and the Super organisms act like processors for it.

imagine the fear, This Tyranid thing can talk in all known languages, and is truely a terror from beyond the outerdark.

Oh that would be nuts, a being that is truly on lovecraft levels. So in other words the GSC that arrive become it's heralds? If this theory is true. I do recall the Mesphiton in devastation of baal likens the hive mind to a god and all the other blood angels get into a right huff about that theory. Reading the 8th edition codex they say this about the hive mind. 

"The Magos Biologis of the Imperium categorises each Tyranid hive fleet as a separate force, an individual entity that competes with other hive fleets for resources. Indeed, each is self-sufficient, appearing to exhibit different strategies and developing unique creatures to overcome its prey. However, the truth is more complex, for each hive fleet is but a splinter of one greater assemblage. the Tyranids numbers are vast beyond counting, swarms so large that they block out the very stars, yet each and every creature is but a single cell in a living body of a single super-organism. 

Every thought and action, every spark of life in the Tyranid race, is bound and interlinked into a single unfathomable consciousness, a great entity that stretches across hundreds of light years of space. This gestalt sentience is known as the Hive Mind. It holds all Tyranids in a psychic bond that enables them to act in perfect synchronicity. Under the influence of this ancient consciousness, the Tyranids have fed on countless planets and devoured civilisations since time immemorial. 

The majority of Tyranid organisms have no distinct mind as a human would understand it, having been created to perform a single task to the exclusion of all else. Unless the implacable will of the Hive Mind instructs them to do otherwise, these organism simply fulfil the functions for which they were created, acting on nothing more than instinct. Larger, more complicated, Tyranid beasts have grown to make limited decisions appropriate to current stimuli and situations, but even these actions are subordinate to the goals of the Hive mind." 

Now this is speculation but reading this passage and thinking about it for a moment it seems like the hive mind is "separate" from the Tyranids. 

Oh that would be nuts, a being that is truly on lovecraft levels. So in other words the GSC that arrive become it's heralds? If this theory is true. I do recall the Mesphiton in devastation of baal likens the hive mind to a god and all the other blood angels get into a right huff about that theory. Reading the 8th edition codex they say this about the hive mind. 

"The Magos Biologis of the Imperium categorises each Tyranid hive fleet as a separate force, an individual entity that competes with other hive fleets for resources. Indeed, each is self-sufficient, appearing to exhibit different strategies and developing unique creatures to overcome its prey. However, the truth is more complex, for each hive fleet is but a splinter of one greater assemblage. the Tyranids numbers are vast beyond counting, swarms so large that they block out the very stars, yet each and every creature is but a single cell in a living body of a single super-organism. 

Every thought and action, every spark of life in the Tyranid race, is bound and interlinked into a single unfathomable consciousness, a great entity that stretches across hundreds of light years of space. This gestalt sentience is known as the Hive Mind. It holds all Tyranids in a psychic bond that enables them to act in perfect synchronicity. Under the influence of this ancient consciousness, the Tyranids have fed on countless planets and devoured civilisations since time immemorial. 

The majority of Tyranid organisms have no distinct mind as a human would understand it, having been created to perform a single task to the exclusion of all else. Unless the implacable will of the Hive Mind instructs them to do otherwise, these organism simply fulfil the functions for which they were created, acting on nothing more than instinct. Larger, more complicated, Tyranid beasts have grown to make limited decisions appropriate to current stimuli and situations, but even these actions are subordinate to the goals of the Hive mind." 

Now this is speculation but reading this passage and thinking about it for a moment it seems like the hive mind is "separate" from the Tyranids. 

I would love for some lovecraftian like beings being different aspects of the hivemind collective.

Just pure biological eldritch horrors. that make even chaos and warp entities shudder

Archived