What is the SW standing in Tournaments.

Torin

I have been away from 40k gaming for sometime. I have been looking around and have yet to see any SW in any Tournament making their position among the top rank. Maybe its me not looking in the right place.. So far i see astra and ynari taking rank.  What your take in the current SW standing in Tourney... are we competitive enough to match to crazy combo army without playing sick and crazy combo. How do can we take down astra with 100 infantry and russ battle tank. just an example.

Some tips and advice.

Cheers Brothers.

A pure wolf list went 4-2 at LVO

Player name Jimmy Johnson

He went max jump HQ with SS/TH

Supreme Command

RP-JP

WGBL

WL

WL

WL

Aggressor

Vanguard

WGBL

8xWulfen 3 TH/SS

8xWulfen 3 TH/SS

9xWulfen 4 TH/SS

Outrider

RP

WGBL

Aggressors

Aggressors

Cyberwolf

Cyberwolf

Cyberwolf

In the ultra competitive setting of the LVO you don't bring fluff.  You spam killer elite units and the cheapest chaff/bodies you can find (hence all the loyal 32 for 5CP in every loyalist army and a castellan as the firepower)

The SW player record was L W W W L W

He finished #189/661

According to BCP and ITC stats we are THE worst performing codex when taken by itself.

Personally I wear that as a badge of honor. I know I earned every victory myself. We’re also living in a time of data, that’s never been the case before. It’s always been come down to traditional nerd debates as to where things stand. We have the data to back it up and GW has been making steady tweaks to fix stuff. It can be frustrating to be where we are but think of it like this.

Tau was pretty bad for several editions. When they’re book in 6th came out and was decent. The die hards that had been playing tau dominated people once they had the tools to do it. That wasn’t an OP book either until the formations happened.

My point being, be patient, sharpen your game when you have bad tools. When the tools come it will be glorious.

According to BCP and ITC stats we are THE worst performing codex when taken by itself.

Personally I wear that as a badge of honor. I know I earned every victory myself. We’re also living in a time of data, that’s never been the case before. It’s always been come down to traditional nerd debates as to where things stand. We have the data to back it up and GW has been making steady tweaks to fix stuff. It can be frustrating to be where we are but think of it like this.

Tau was pretty bad for several editions. When they’re book in 6th came out and was decent. The die hards that had been playing tau dominated people once they had the tools to do it. That wasn’t an OP book either until the formations happened.

My point being, be patient, sharpen your game when you have bad tools. When the tools come it will be glorious.

To continue what FPS is saying...forget all the tournament stuff and think about what YOU want from the hobby.

You don't have to go anywhere near the cut throat competitive scene to enjoy your SW.  I've experienced narrative and other games and had plenty of fun.

However, I am ultra competitive so I keep going to tournaments.  I was going to them when I had INDEX and no stratagems so even though we are bottom of the barrel our codex FEELS like an improvement to me (except for the nerf to my blizzard shields that ticks me off....meanwhile castellans with 28 wounds can still get a 3++).  Point being your skills as a player have more impact than a slight codex bump (not talking OP best units in the game...just more or less competitive ones).  So if you hone your skills with a handicap you will be like one of the comic book superheroes who throws off the training weights and goes wild (Rock Lee!!!)

I've also gone to the dark side as some people say taking allies with SW doesn't count.

That is the path I am on for tournaments.  I hope to have more time to fine tune and unleash the wolves at more tournaments in the near future.

SW are a terrible tourney army in 8th. We waited a year and a half plus to get a terrible codex. The FAQ and chapter approved gave us nothing. Mono codex armies don't work well in tournies which is a shame. SW are a fun and friendly games only kind of army.

I play in a location that has a few players in the top 100 rankings of ITC.  Now disclaimer that I have yet to go against these players, but their mere presence inspires everyone around them to go hard.

I currently use a mono-space wolves list that has locally been known to be the bane of knight lists, and in our last ITC I was 2-1.  Played against a IG, BA, Knights soup list.  A Knights / Loyal 17 list and a Smash Bros list that I ultimately lost against (too many damn mortal wounds!).  Granted I am in the process of tweaking this list to use a small DA attachment so use the Lion and the Wolf stratagem to allow me to use my WL at S10.

The current list is:

WL

WGBL

WP

RP

(All jump packs, SS + TH on lords)

8 man biker unit, 3 hammers and all stormshields and SBs on those not taking a hammer

2x 5man 3xTH 5SS TWC (I know, right?)

8x Wulfen

3x plain Grey Hunters, a cyberwolf

Don't get me wrong, for the most part this list isn't very fun.  I basically want 3s everywhere, I roll and I run straight into the enemy's teeth while trying to deflect everything with stormshields.  If I get in, I basically win.  If I take too many casualties coming in I typically lose.

But its the only damn way I can compete as mono-dex. 

I play in a location that has a few players in the top 100 rankings of ITC.  Now disclaimer that I have yet to go against these players, but their mere presence inspires everyone around them to go hard.

I currently use a mono-space wolves list that has locally been known to be the bane of knight lists, and in our last ITC I was 2-1.  Played against a IG, BA, Knights soup list.  A Knights / Loyal 17 list and a Smash Bros list that I ultimately lost against (too many damn mortal wounds!).  Granted I am in the process of tweaking this list to use a small DA attachment so use the Lion and the Wolf stratagem to allow me to use my WL at S10.

The current list is:

WL

WGBL

WP

RP

8 man biker unit, 3 hammers and all stormshields and SBs on those not taking a hammer

8x Wulfen

Don't get me wrong, for the most part this list isn't very fun.  I basically want 3s everywhere, I roll and I run straight into the enemy's teeth while trying to deflect everything with stormshields.  If I get in, I basically win.  If I take too many casualties coming in I typically lose.

Good for you brother, thats awesome! I'm sorry to hear you dont super enjoy the list, but winning is winning right? I'm pretty split between fluff and cutthroat so my list is about as fluffy as i can get without getting wrecked instantly:

Roughly:

RP on JP

Bjorn

WGBL JP AoR/TH

5 GH, plas WGTDA SS/SB

5 GH, melta WGTDA SS/SB

5 BC, fist WGTDA SS/TH

5 Wulfen TH/SS 

5 WG - JP  SB/SS leader with TH

Long Fangs 3las/1HB/1ML WGTDA SS/SB

Leviathan Dread 2SCA

Stormwolf

It does pretty well, I've tweaked it a bit since renegade where i went 1/1/1. It'll likely change again before march.

The current list is:

WL

WGBL

WP

RP

8x Wulfen

Good for you brother, thats awesome! I'm sorry to hear you dont super enjoy the list, but winning is winning right? I'm pretty split between fluff and cutthroat so my list is about as fluffy as i can get without getting wrecked instantly:

Roughly:

RP on JP

Bjorn

WGBL JP AoR/TH

5 GH, plas WGTDA SS/SB

5 GH, melta WGTDA SS/SB

5 BC, fist WGTDA SS/TH

5 Wulfen TH/SS 

5 WG - JP  SB/SS leader with TH

Long Fangs 3las/1HB/1ML WGTDA SS/SB

Leviathan Dread 2SCA

Stormwolf

It does pretty well, I've tweaked it a bit since renegade where i went 1/1/1. It'll likely change again before march.

I have two different sides to my "I don't like this list" quote.  I like it because it competes.  I don't like it because there is very little thought process required to run it and that if I come up against a list that is anything but ITC ready I will stomp the life out of it and I really don't like being "that guy" (I don't bring this list anywhere except ITC, or when I explicitly state I need a practice run, a few people come to our events just to play and don't run ultra comp lists).  My biggest aspiration with Space Wolves are to run lists like they do in 30k with power weapons on everything and PA infantry swarms.

i like your list, it definitely is more along the route of what I think is a fun to play list!  I'm glad you found fun and success with it!

I posted this on the SW army list. I play in a competitive local meta. I know the guys that only want to play fluffy games and those that want to bring their ITC lists. One of our local guys just came in 19th at LVO 2019 with the best IK army.

Here's my list and the thoughts behind it. This is an unusual list for me because I almost always bring Wulfen and a Stormfang but this list was for those that wanted a non Wolfy McWoofwoof list.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/352762-2k-post-ca-shoot-em-up-wolves-list/

I posted this on the SW army list. I play in a competitive local meta. I know the guys that only want to play fluffy games and those that want to bring their ITC lists. One of our local guys just came in 19th at LVO 2019 with the best IK army.

Here's my list and the thoughts behind it. This is an unusual list for me because I almost always bring Wulfen and a Stormfang but this list was for those that wanted a non Wolfy McWoofwoof list.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/352762-2k-post-ca-shoot-em-up-wolves-list/

Yea i really like that list! I need to make it on to that part of the forum more, I always forget about it.

To continue what FPS is saying...forget all the tournament stuff and think about what YOU want from the hobby.

You don't have to go anywhere near the cut throat competitive scene to enjoy your SW.  I've experienced narrative and other games and had plenty of fun.

However, I am ultra competitive so I keep going to tournaments.  I was going to them when I had INDEX and no stratagems so even though we are bottom of the barrel our codex FEELS like an improvement to me (except for the nerf to my blizzard shields that ticks me off....meanwhile castellans with 28 wounds can still get a 3++).  Point being your skills as a player have more impact than a slight codex bump (not talking OP best units in the game...just more or less competitive ones).  So if you hone your skills with a handicap you will be like one of the comic book superheroes who throws off the training weights and goes wild (Rock Lee!!!)

I've also gone to the dark side as some people say taking allies with SW doesn't count.

That is the path I am on for tournaments.  I hope to have more time to fine tune and unleash the wolves at more tournaments in the near future.

DYNAMIC ENTRY! YOSH, MY LEGS FEEL LIGHTER NOW!

Thanks for your great advice and encouragement to those of us who only like to play mono army but are stuck with a somewhat competitive meta. For my part, I thank God that there are a FEW players who know how to switch off their competitive modes and do something.... casual? fluffy? fun? narrative? Basically not spam loyal 32, regenerating CP (although that has been toned down),and golden bananas. Also as far as Codex comparisons are concerned, I'm somewhat finally accepting that the SW Codex was rather..... not well designed and synergistic compared to BA or even Vanilla SM. Not just strategems, but Relics and Warlord Traits. In the end, I'm betting the only relics anyone takes is the Armour of Russ and Wulfen Stone. The other CC relics are simply horrible and lack utility or army buffs.

Nevertheless, as FPS says, when I win or give my opponent a run for their money, it is hugely satisfying.

Yesterday I fought a friend who I know owns about 10-15 Knights, of which at least 5 are Forgeworld variety, but he came after me yesterday with a Nurgle Daemon army, fully painted to boot and using an old resin Great Unclean One as a Lord of War character (can't pronounce its name, starts with an S). This is in addition to his Blood Ravens, which can be any chapter tactic he chooses as he sees fit, including Gabriel Angelos himself, but yet he came down to my level without  making it feel like he was patronising me.

So to those who play mono wolves, FENRIS HJOLDA! Fight on and play on as you see fit, but watch and pick your opponents carefully. If you are fighting a competitive guy or list, make sure you are prepared for it mentally and tactically. Basically pick your opponents carefully. Speaking as an easily depressed person, I came up with a list to help ensure I don't get upset too easily:

1) Pick an opponent who is friendly both on table and outside. Meaning does light banter, has a good sense of humor, not too serious. His list maybe mean but if he/she isn't mean, it goes a long way to avoid ill feeling

2) Know the list that is coming your way. For fighting a competitive guy, it is essential to come up with a fighting plan before hand, preferably a few hours in advance, rather than meet it head on at the moment you play.

3) OPTIONAL: make sure the guy's army is fully painted. If option 1 and 2 is not there, at least make sure it's a decent painted army you playing against.

Great response brothers.

Getting people to play fluff is very difficult. I have played from 2nd ed with my wolves and have seen the changes in the way 40k is being played. All i can say is that veteran player plays fluff and the younger generation play more competitive. But there are some younger generation who plays fluff which i admire. Play for fun not just to win. Hahaha... says the old wolf.

Cheers Brothers

Great response brothers.

Getting people to play fluff is very difficult. I have played from 2nd ed with my wolves and have seen the changes in the way 40k is being played. All i can say is that veteran player plays fluff and the younger generation play more competitive. But there are some younger generation who plays fluff which i admire. Play for fun not just to win. Hahaha... says the old wolf.

Cheers Brothers

for my meta is the other way round. I find to my horror that it's the OLDER players who are being competitive, and this in turn potentially turns new players off. Which is even more unacceptable that veteran players become elitist by only playing competitive instead of helping to bring new players into the fold via fluff and casual games.

Looking back, there are a few players I want to smash to the ground who reduced me to a weeping mess during my early entry in the hobby. Now I just look on them with disdain and don't play with them.

Great response brothers.

Cheers Brothers

for my meta is the other way round. I find to my horror that it's the OLDER players who are being competitive, and this in turn potentially turns new players off. Which is even more unacceptable that veteran players become elitist by only playing competitive instead of helping to bring new players into the fold via fluff and casual games.

Looking back, there are a few players I want to smash to the ground who reduced me to a weeping mess during my early entry in the hobby. Now I just look on them with disdain and don't play with them.

What you say is true, even down at my place there are some vet player who actually play competitive specially if they are looking forward to winning the prize given. I guess probably most vet player down here have so many army already, they most likely game to chill out from their daily routine. On most casual game the player have been nice... :) but the moment they enter tournament they completely change .... some change from time to time can be fun otherwise it would be boring. lol

Archived