Space Marines Promotion

Roderikum

Hail Brothers!!

I´m a Crimson Fist Player, and with the recent view of the WD Index article about us and the induction of Primaris I was "shocked" watching how some models have their right glove painted red (thought that such priviliedge was only given to those who have gone through the First Company´s Ranks). Since then I´ve been wondering for a while about how do space marines (individually and as squads) promote in their respective companies and move from one company to another. I´ve been collecting them (in various flavours) since 1998, when third edition was reeleased, and know vastly about space marine chapters; I´m aware that such things varies from chapter to chapter, but I´m not satisfied with the knowledge I have, so I´m asking for your oppinion. Here is what I know:

-Chapter induction: 10th company.

-Black Caparace implementation: 9th company (in some chapters they may be promoted to the 8th instead)

-From the 9th Company to the 8th One (or Viceversa, as viewn before)

-In both previous cases the Squad or Space Marine may be moved to a battle company as reinforcement.

-Here is where I start to wonder...

-Do space marines move from one company to another individually or as a Squad??

-When is a squad or individual marine promoted to one of the two Tactical Reserve Companies??

-When is a squad or individual marine promoted to one the First Company??

-Is it possible for a whole squad to be promoted to the First One??

-Is it possible to be promoted to the company veteran squad without having gone through the First one??

-Is it possible to be promoted to the headquarter of a company (Captain or Lieutenant) without having gone through the First One??

-When do an individual space marine leave the First Company (if they ever do)?? Only as Veterans Seargeants and as High rank Officers??

As far as I know, in Battle Companies, company´s veterans are drawn individually from the ranks of the company itself.

-In the case of the Reserve Companies, where are the Company Veterans drawn from (both as Seargeants and Company´s Veterans Squad)?? I suppose that the 8th, 9th and 10th (being the "younger" ones) draw their veterans from the 1st one, but I´m not sure at all...

-In the case of the 6th and 7th ones, I suppose that their Company´s Veterans (both as Seargeants and Company´s Veterans Squad) may be drawn both from the company itself and the 1st one, but, as in last paragraph, I´m not sure at all.

Any way, I think that all these questions are answered in a different way, varying from chapter to chapter, but I´d be very glad if any of you could enlightme.

Thankyou very Much!!!

I've wondered what exactly "company veterans" were myself, actually. Are they dudes seconded from the 1st company or is "company veteran" sort of a last step before a 1st company position. I presumed that veteran sergeants were loaned from the First Company, as you did.

As I see it, company veterans are basically present in the battle companies, and I see them as a result of a squad serving for a long time inside the company. Through time and campaigns, an individual squad will acquire honours, both individuals inside it and the squad as a whole, earning the right to decorate their armours, to incorporate artificer parts, and to access the company/chapter armoury. Thus, while still being a tactical/assault/devastator squad, its members will have some extra gear compared to newer squads in the company. However, time and campaigns also involve casualties. While some squads might just be replenished with marines from the reserve companies, sometimes it might not be feasible or optimum, be it because the squad has developed a very thight brotherhood and or a fighting system that makes it difficult foe a new member to integrate, or because the casualties inside the squad are so high that it is easier to just replace it entirely with a new squad, among a miriad of possibilities. Thus, these marines will become a veteran squad, outside of the structure of the battle company, but remaining as part of it as they have belonged to it for many years and because their veterancy makes them a very useful resource for the company command. Maybe they become a reserve pool for sergeants to lead the newer squads, substitute casualties, or become part of the command squad.

Regarding reserve companies, I see it more difficult for them to have their own veteran squads. These companies rarely act as a fighting unit per se, and more often their squads are assigned to reinforce the battle and veteran companies in a specific battle or campaign. Thus, throughout their service they will probably be assimilated by the battle companies to replenish casualties. It is perfectly possible that some squads are basically from a reserve company by name alone, as they might become permanently attached to a battle company, until they are merged due to necessity.

Somewhere in this forum there is a fantastic thread where Apologist makes a great and comprehensive analysis of casualty rates in a chapter, and I think he also touches upon the promotion system inside a chapter, which has probably inspired quite a bit my thoughts. I am afraid I don't remember the name of the thread, but if you manage to find it, it is a very valuable source of information and inspiration.

Finally, about the Crimson Fists issue, is it possible that the painted fist denotes veterancy, without marking specifically a current/past member of the First Company?

Company Veterans are a holdover from the old Command Squad unit. The CS was the Captain's personal retinue of veteran battle brothers, and were upgradable to Ancient, Champion, and Apothecary. Now that those three are separate entries, the CS has become Company Vets but they remain the Captain's right hand men.

Archived