In PoD, why does Alpharius have to...

b1soul

undergo psychic reconstruction to believe he is Silonius?

He says the best way for you to keep a secret is to keep it even from yourself.

Was Alpharius just concerned that the psychic signature of an additional Primarch on Terra would be very easy to detect by Malcador's folks?

Also, why was it important for Alpharius to be on Terra. I believe Phocron and the other AL operatives could have accomplished the desired objectives on Terra without Alpharius.

With Alpharius he seems to always want to prove a point, that it was *he* who accomplished a task and it was *he* who outsmarted everyone around him. The Alpha legion books seem to always make everything extra complicated and always on the verge of failure if anything goes wrong, but it is always that way as a chance for Alphy to prove himself.

The Emperor Himself is also a plausible complication.

Alpharius has had a peek in the Total Perspective Vortex and, additionally, has some knowledge of the grand psychic tabletop on which the course of Galactic History is played out.

Why does your Smash Captain do what it does on the tabletop?

Would it still make the same moves if it was self-aware and could consult with you?

Would you make the same choice if you knew one of your models was a bit more special than it is? Might that tip off your opponent?

I'm not sure I believe/am-satisfied with Alpharius being super-arrogant or insecure in their need to prove themselves, but I am very confident that they might have just been a teensy bit more meta than they strictly need to be.

I could see them actually viewing the results of PoD as an "acceptably within projected margins" re: the greater game.

And hiding from the Emperor (the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing?) isn't a curious or inexplicable bug, but a deliberate feature. (Which would tally with the "hiding from Malcador's lot" that b1soul suggests:

"Malcador's lot" both might *and* might not include the Emperor.)

Both and neither, arguably.

Alternatively, it might be that Alpharius really enjoyed the Horus Heresy spin-off of Dark Heresy as a LARP.

Really deep on being in-character.

Archived