Thousand Sons and Shadow Spear Boxset

Prot

It is a Venomcrawler. It could spit something dangerous. Also we don't know what that is on its back. Could be some kind of warp engine that dumps damage on targets from afar (which would explain why it bolsters daemons).

The venom crawler is almost guaranteed to have the (patent pending) Chaos *Special* rule: -1 leadership within X ". lol

Seriously though my biggest fear would be it has Mutalith Vortex status. It's kind of useful, but not enough to crack lists.

Between the Venom Crawler and the Possessed type dudes, I felt like those two were the most plausible units to be allowed in a Thousand Sons army. Now if the Venom Crawler is a close combat machine, that lets you tap in Daemons from reserve, on the move, with none of the current down falls to summoning we have now, then great! I'd love to see it in Thousand Sons.

Like I said right now I've been rotating in a bunch of Daemon engines for some variety in my Thousand Sons, but unfortunately most don't last long. Even my Dual Defilers got hosed. The reduction on the Forgefiend looked so good on paper, but I still can't justify it! Maulerfieds are good... just really uninspiring to me. Helbrutes have become my default for basic, march towards the enemy, type units. So for now I've gone into the Forgeworld rabbit hole for Decimators, etc. But I'd love to throw a few Venom Crawlers at the opponent if they work accordingly. Just really crossing my fingers that -some- of this boxset can be used with Thousand Sons.

I think it's a 50/50 thing. There's no reason a lot of it wouldn't fit with Thousand Sons. I guarantee they will join Abaddon through some point in Vigilus. Also. purely from an economic standpoint, it helps GW to sell boxes.

I’m akso upset kinda that there is not much synergie between tzeentch daemons, and TS.

I wanted to play horrors instead of cultist because its more fluff. Actuallybthe codex art show many battles where rubrics fight alongside the pinkies...

Result: summoning dont work because has to be turn 2 only

Tzeentch detachment dont really work because we have 2 pay for two tzeentch characters that are not so strong, dont have brotherhood of sorcerers; etc...even the Tzeentch DP sucks in comparison to the TS DP.

I’m akso upset kinda that there is not much synergie between tzeentch daemons, and TS.

I wanted to play horrors instead of cultist because its more fluff. Actuallybthe codex art show many battles where rubrics fight alongside the pinkies...

Result: summoning dont work because has to be turn 2 only

Tzeentch detachment dont really work because we have 2 pay for two tzeentch characters that are not so strong, dont have brotherhood of sorcerers; etc...even the Tzeentch DP sucks in comparison to the TS DP.

I found something rather similar.. I have 1500 points of daemons, but overall my dusty bois are stronger without them. HQs are rather expensive and have redundant roles, units require too much support in terms of characters/cp, etc.

I use my daemons mainly as a CP battery and some bubblewarp with some cheapish horrors (2 brime squads and a pink squad) and two foot heralds to pack gaze of fate.

Sometimes an exalted or two if I feel like I need some extra heavy shots.

But overall, yea they are not doing much.

I use my daemons mainly as a CP battery and some bubblewarp with some cheapish horrors (2 brime squads and a pink squad) and two foot heralds to pack gaze of fate.

Sometimes an exalted or two if I feel like I need some extra heavy shots.

But overall, yea they are not doing much.

Doing the same, with the exception of a unit of flamers. The issue is pinks, flamers, and changecasters all need DoTW to be really effective. That's 6 CP, the detachment only gives you 5. That makes them ineffective as a CP battery.

The flip side is that you can save the CP, but then the daemons units don't function as intended. Same with a combined Tzeentch detachment.

Errrr, not really?

DoTW is outright counter-productive when the main role of the horrors is to provide bubblewrapping to your TS characters...especially brimes who don't do anything EXCEPT stand there and be annoying.

The changecasters work just fine back line. their #1 goal is to cast the "infinite range" gaze of fate, throwing random smites comes secondary, but they can advance willy-nilly as they don't shoot or charge anyway.

The flamers are the only dudes left that MIGHT want DoTW, but honestly I find it mostly not needed. they are fast enough for my needs that they usually get in range to a target T1, and even without DoTW at worst T2 (when DoTW would bring them), and they never bit the bullet before a large portion of my army is already down, so not like they needed protection.

I hardly ever needed DoTW for any of them.

I think the more I see the new Chaos releases I’m really hoping parts of it comes into TS. I understand Deathguard not getting it as their codex is chalk full of characters and unique units, many of which do work respectably well.

Today’s Daemon rumour engine would seem to indicate the Venow Crawler may have some sort of ranged options.

I just think with the loyalist marines a lot of new units propagate into most codexes. I mean the vast majority of Primaris are legal even in Space Wolves and BA etc.

I’m wondering how many of the Thousand Sons player base here is thinking of jumping on the CSM releases as a result?

Today’s Daemon rumour engine would seem to indicate the Venow Crawler may have some sort of ranged options.

We already know it has some ranged option though. Look at its sides. It has ranged weapons mounted there. :P

chaos-venom-crawler.jpg

I’m wondering how many of the Thousand Sons player base here is thinking of jumping on the CSM releases as a result?

I’m going to pass. I’m not sure what GW’s vision for chaos is and I’m uninterested in Black Legion. I do hope others get some well-earned relief from a relative dearth of models and rules the past few years. I’m finding the xenos factions to have more interesting models and slightly more options that don’t stink on the tabletop.

I’ll revisit the Sons someday, but they’re pretty played out for me. I hope the new chaos stuff gives players what they’ve been seeking. Several of the models sure are great!

We already know it has some ranged option though. Look at its sides. It has ranged weapons mounted there. :tongue.:

Someone earlier in the thread said it was going to be lethargic at shooting.... I was responding to that post (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353864-thousand-sons-and-shadow-spear-boxset/?p=5257637 )

:thumbsup:

I just think it's a little early to say it will be a bad unit. 

I’m going to pass. I’m not sure what GW’s vision for chaos is and I’m uninterested in Black Legion. I do hope others get some well-earned relief from a relative dearth of models and rules the past few years. I’m finding the xenos factions to have more interesting models and slightly more options that don’t stink on the tabletop.

I’ll revisit the Sons someday, but they’re pretty played out for me. I hope the new chaos stuff gives players what they’ve been seeking. Several of the models sure are great!

That's sad to hear.  But I understand if you don't like Black Legion. I would probably prefer to return to Crimson Slaughter, but I'm not going to deny myself options like VotLW, etc. Plus Abaddon will be a great centerpiece. That's why some of this being ported into TS would have been fantastic.

I've been eyeing CSM for a long time but the ancient models deterred me. With the new kits coming out I'll pick up at least a token force for sure.

I agree 100%. For the last couple of years I tried literally forcing myself to paint Black Legion a few times (or even expanding my Crimson Slaughter) but the models were just so horrid, my motivation would only last a few painting sessions.

That's part of why I love TS... I always have to love the background of what I'm playing/painting but the Thousand Sons' line is pretty amazing in my opinion.  The new CSM may tip the balance there. 

Archived