Patriarchs - how nasty can they get?

Rogue

My fledgling cult is currently led by a patriarch (because it's the only HQ unit I have). This afternoon, I was pondering just how much can be packed onto him for maximum combat mayhem. His base 6 attacks at strength 6 is a pretty good start, coupled with his invulnerable save and swift and deadly rule. And the monstrous rending claws look handy too (which is good, because he's stuck with them).

We can't buff him with cult creeds, because genestealers are exempt from those rules. 

Using his own psychic powers, we could use might from beyond to gain +1 strength and attacks (7 attacks at strength 7).

Then it gets a bit more varied - the core warlord trait biomorph adaptation allows another +1 strength and attacks. You could then add any of the amulet to prevent overwatch, or scourge (although he already hits on 2s, and hopefully doesn't leave many survivors for the mortal wounds bit).

Or the Bladed Cog's single-minded obsession would help against one enemy unit (if there was a really big target to throw him at), allows the mark relic for a better invulnerable save and mortal wounds, and gives access to the overthrow the oppressors stratagem for even more attacks (probably).

Alternatively, bio-alchemist (Twisted Helix) increases his damage by 1, and allows the elixir relic for that 8th attack, plus toughness and wounds.

So, three ideas (and assuming the psychic power goes off):

Unaligned, with the amulet - 8 attacks at strength 8, can't be overwatched

Bladed Cog, with the mark - 7 attacks at strength 7, 4++ save, mortal wounds, reroll wounds

Twisted Helix, with the elixir - 8 attacks at strength 7, +1 damage, toughness, wounds

I feel like the strength 8 option (via biomorph and might from beyond) might be most helpful, as it allows him to wound almost all infantry on 2s, most tanks on 3s and even something like a Russ on 4s (and with 8 attacks hitting on 2s at d3 damage a time, he's got an outside chance of pulling one apart in a single turn). Factor in that being a character makes him hard to shoot normally, and the amulet that makes him impossible to shoot in overwatch, and he's a bit of a monster.

I've almost certainly missed something (synergistic combinations seem to be a blind spot for me), so feel free to chip in with something nastier.

I'm going to be running mine with Shadow Stalker and Amulet of the Void Wyrm for a more survivable Patriarch. With Strength from Beyond and the Icon of the Cult Ascendent nearby I feel it's going to be killy enough.

It's ignoring -1 to hit essentially as well because it grants +1 to hit to itself and hits in 2s already. (-2 with a Primus nearby if it matters).

I run Twisted Helix. the Elixir on a Patriarch is nothing short of insane.

Haven't seen him do anything over the top incredible yet but my last couple of games I have been focusing on how ridiculous the aberrants + abominant are!

What delivery method are you using on the Aberrants? Mine always seem to get shot up.

I run Twisted Helix. the Elixir on a Patriarch is nothing short of insane.

Haven't seen him do anything over the top incredible yet but my last couple of games I have been focusing on how ridiculous the aberrants + abominant are!

What delivery method are you using on the Aberrants? Mine always seem to get shot up.

Goliath's seem to work for me, having more than one helps a bunch too as it means that they have something else to focus on

Ive tried running them in Rockgrinders - but that usually makes them a high priority, that and losing them to emergency disembark really hurts.

Monstrous Vigour is good but they certainly make an argument for Perfect Ambush as well.

I don’t think I would ever use rock grinders for them. It limits the size plus puts a big shoot me sign on that unit. I like the idea of them maybe in trucks and some over dangerous unit in the rock grinder, like acolytes with mining weapons and flamers, or just deepstriking them.

I run mine with Cult of the four armed emperor and stick them in deepstrike with a Clamavus. Also run them with an Abominant with Insidious Mindworm (Field Commander) giving me a +3 to charge out of deepstrike. Combine with silly things like the relic banner on an iconward, a Primus and might from beyond and they get ridiculous. 

I plan to save A perfect ambush strategem for other things link my sanctus or maybe a lone patriach.

I run mine with Cult of the four armed emperor and stick them in deepstrike with a Clamavus. Also run them with an Abominant with Insidious Mindworm (Field Commander) giving me a +3 to charge out of deepstrike. Combine with silly things like the relic banner on an iconward, a Primus and might from beyond and they get ridiculous. 

I plan to save A perfect ambush strategem for other things link my sanctus or maybe a lone patriach.

Insidious mindworm only works on Anointed Throng units and only aberrants and abominants in the detachment gain that keyword.

Personally I'm inclined to run my patriarch and 20 'stealers with CotFAE and use a perfect ambush to get d6+1 for the charge. Then use a clamavis, CotFAE, and insidious  mindworm on a kitted out aberrant unit for +3 on the charge. That's pretty good odds for two immensely deadly melee units to get into combat.

I think with my Patriarch and genestealers I plan to ambush them. They move 8" and can advance and charge also. Keep a clamavus next to them and your getting +1 advance and charge, chances are moderate that they will get a turn 1 charge that way. If the chances dont look good then you can always stick them in reserve using the stratgem. 

The reason for doing this is that both Patriarchs and Genestealers are hefty point wise and it goes towards 1/2 your army on the board

Archived