Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1000 points - single detatchment

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 244 posts
Got my first local tournament of the weekend- List has to be single codex, single detachment, 1000 points

It will be “acceptable casualties”, I.e. you don’t auto win by tabling. I have no idea of what I’ll be up against... except that there might be an all knight list.(!)

I’m still a bit limited in what is ready to go (far too many half assembled and painted armies) but I was thinking (basically, anti-horde shooting and anti-anything melee):

Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [60 PL, 998pts, 8CP less 1 for stratagem ]

HQ [23 PL, 369pts]

Astorath

Captain
(Jump Pack- angels wing), Thunder hammer (artisan of war), death visions of Sanguinius stratagem

The Sanguinor

Troops [15 PL, 246pts]

Intercessor Squad - 5x bolt rifles, sarge has chainsword

Intercessor Squad - 5x bolt rifles, sarge has chainsword

Tactical Squad
3x Space Marine
Space Marine (Special weapon Selections: Flamer )
Space Marine Sergeant- Hand flamer, Power sword

Elites:
Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 117pts]
Selections: Flamestorm gauntlets

Heavy Support:
Land Raider Crusader [16 PL, 266pts]
Selections: 2x Hurricane bolter Storm bolter Twin assault cannon

Lynnean

Lynnean

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,533 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords, Exsanguinators
What is the battleplan behind the list?

Whats the reasoning behind taking astorath & sanguinor, but no death company, vanguard veterans or sanguinary guard?
Have you considered those?

Smash is missing his shield? :P
(I expect this to be model limitation)

Lastly, in my opinion land raiders just arent grear this edition. I'd rather take a death company for those points.

As the list stands i think it might be really hard to win that game against the knight list, as the only real anti tank i see is smash.

Cheers!

ETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_An

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 244 posts
Really a function of model availability, especially given confines of a single detachment.

I really don’t have much high AT firepower painted, so melee becomes the way outta that (but it’s blood angels so that’s what they should be doing, right?)

Hoping against a pure knights list, I can score more points. Against hordes, hoping I can clear screens with crusader and intercessors /aggressors (with beta bolters helping, especially with crusader) and then charge the enemies good stuff.

Haven’t seen the tables or missions, so anything else is a bit up in the air.

Zon

Zon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 63 posts

Echoing Lynnean, Sanguinor and Astorath are buff characters. They are geared particularly for elite assault units, which you don't have. Sanguinor can give Intercessors some more punch, but I think you'll struggle to find Astorath a place and he's not really a one-model wonder. If you have the models, I'd honestly just drop them for another smash cap and a Librarian dread. These are the guys that can punk knights on their own.

If you've got them, also consider taking knife scouts in place of the tacs. They put out more damage than tacticals in combat and you can kit the sergeant with combi-flamer/sword. They also give you flexibility to deploy them forward or they can just chill in the raider. This way you have a scary assault-oriented centerpiece with the raider and Librarian dread, supported by fire from Intercessors on objectives, and the smash caps as your scalpels. Very cohesive.

we_badge_skullchaos.png Formerly Skullchaos with the fun little lambda

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 244 posts
I only had the one jump pack hammer model and figured that astorath was effectively a (slightly better) version of a captain with a power fist - so I threw him in. Figure he can also keep me in rerolls when smash dies.

Figured that the sanguinor would buff aggressors nicely as well as the heroes.

I could replace the landraider crusader with 4 sang guard and 5 jp death company. Maybe replacing astorath with lemartes?
Oh, no scouts unfortunately (I understand that they are the most efficient troop unit)

Lynnean

Lynnean

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,533 posts
Replacing the land raider with thr sanguinary guard and jp dc, joined by lemartes sounds like a plan. They'll do more for you i think, however they will be quite CP hungry.
Fair enough, if model limitations are there, nothing's always a perfect sandbox haha.

Zon

Zon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 63 posts

Agreed, replacing the raider seems better. Do you have the models for a larger death company? I think more bodies (and some hammers) would be more valuable than 4 Sang guard w/o the relic banner. That way you also don't have to worry about splitting CP between smash and 2 other units. A well-used Forlorn fury or DOA from deep strike is really all DC need to start kicking, leaving the rest of your CP for smash. I've also found Lemartes > Astorath.

If you've got random tac models with plasma and/or lascannon sitting around, I think that'd be better so they have a bit of reach without the raider.

we_badge_skullchaos.png Formerly Skullchaos with the fun little lambda

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 244 posts
So, in the end I took the landraider (thinking it would be a good distraction ) and did pretty well for my first ever tournament (and first proper full 8th ed rules games) and out of 3 games i won two, lost one.

First one (against craftworld), I easily won the fight but he played much better for objectives. Still, if the variable length game hasn't ended as early as possible then I would have probably won.

Second game (against salamanders), I got in some slightly heavier punches in first and then the random removal of objectives meant that he had to come to me.

Third game (against harlequins) scored on killing units. There was very aggressive play by both of us and my large number of bolter and flamer attacks and "only in death does duty end" saw me table him in 3.

Landraider was awesome in the first game reaping dark reapers), sucks up lots of fire power in the second and third games.

Lynnean

Lynnean

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,533 posts
What were your opponents fielding? Really curious haha

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 244 posts
The heaviest vehicle/Armour I faced was a salamanders stormraven , which flew too close in order to target my intercessors... and died to slamguinius in turn 1.

I was massively helped by harlequins being perfect bolt/flamer fodder (due to low T and not caring about a lack of AP).

The craft world force had one annoying flyer (T6, 12W and a couple of bright lances and pulse lasers).
I’d heard that dark reapers were nasty but my land raider got T1 line of sight to them (in ruins) and just deleted the whole squad with the power of 40 Dakar shots and captainrerolls.

I think I also benefited (as a newbie to 8th) from the format... 1000 points, single detachment, Single codex, limited the complexity and stratagem shenanigans.

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 244 posts
Iirc,

Salamander force was captain, venerable dread with all autocannons, ironclad dread (on stormraven), scouts, unit of three landspeeders with double heavy flamers (which could 1 turn incinerate whole primaries units, even in cover!)

Harlequins fielded 3 Harley infantry units (with inferno pistols), solitaire, 2 psykers, 2 death jesters, then a warlord.

Crafworlds had 2 dire avengers, 1 fire dragons, 1 dark reaper, the aircraft, warlord, some kind of psychic who came back to life causing mortal wounds)

Lynnean

Lynnean

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,533 posts
Fair! Good to hear you did well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users