Legio Exhortor - The Proclamators

I think your golden. Less planning more painting! Now get cracking!

I'm getting there, this is the biggest mini I've ever painted and I'm pretty fussy so it's taking a while :happy.:

I hadn't actually considered that, me too.

I know how it goes...analysis paralysis? I find myself sitting at the desk just staring at a project for long periods of time...I usually just have to push myself over the edge and start...I'm almost done building a reaver and about to start paint and I am agonizing over the build...re work this? Add more of that?...

Yeah I get you - thankfully I've actually started painting it, which is always the biggest hurdle for me, so I'm committed now - I just gotta remember that the more you get done, the faster the steps are so now is the most laborious stage

I think your golden. Less planning more painting! Now get cracking!

I'm getting there, this is the biggest mini I've ever painted and I'm pretty fussy so it's taking a while :happy.:

I hadn't actually considered that, me too.

I simultaneously love and hate how detailed the kit is too - it's phenomenal, but it makes it a real pain to paint

I know how it goes...analysis paralysis? I find myself sitting at the desk just staring at a project for long periods of time...I usually just have to push myself over the edge and start...I'm almost done building a reaver and about to start paint and I am agonizing over the build...re work this? Add more of that?...

You are not alone, I can stare at a model or a built without actually doing anything for quite some time, at best dry fitting things and going over and over again on various options. I even put things aside for a couple of hours, days, even weeks or months …

I tend to hit a point where I’m happy with how a paint scheme is progressing then seize up for fear of ruining it. My studio is stacked with half finished models because of it. Despite starting them back in January 2019 most of my legion are in the semi-done state. Recently took the plunge and began to get them finished. Edited by Taxidermied

I tend to hit a point where I’m happy with how a paint scheme is progressing then seize up for fear of ruining it. My studio is stacked with half finished models because of it. Despite starting them back in January 2019 most of my legion are in the semi-done state. Recently took the plunge and began to get them finished.

Same same same, I have the identical problem.

Hey Brother, love your planning process. Looking forward to seeing some cool Maniple madness.

Quick question though, what's your green recipe?

It's the old 'Scaly Green', not sure what the current equivalent would be - on the test panels there's a tiny bit of a lighter green showing through at the edges where I mixed it with Camo Green (again, older paint) but it came out too bright so I've reverted to pure Scaly Green, washed with diluted brown ink

(also not a Brother just fyi)

One issue with the schematics is that you don’t need to do all your titans the same way. The legios tend to have a palette of colours but not a set way to put them on their titans.

...Which is a long winded way to advise you to do your colouring in on plastic kits, not drawings of them. You seem to be a great painter from what we’ve seen. More of that please!

One issue with the schematics is that you don’t need to do all your titans the same way. The legios tend to have a palette of colours but not a set way to put them on their titans.

...Which is a long winded way to advise you to do your colouring in on plastic kits, not drawings of them. You seem to be a great painter from what we’ve seen. More of that please!

Oh yeah, these are all individual Titans, not set colour schemes for every Titan of their class, I mainly did it to avoid the potential for trial-and-error on the minis - I'm painting the armour plates as separate sub-assemblies, so I won't actually get to see how they look overall until the last stages. Now I have the base files, testing new colour schemes on the mock-ups is pretty easy.

You might have noticed that the Reaver & Warhound share the same thin vertical stripe motif - I'll be using similar types of markings across the Titans in a maniple, and in this case they're in the same Venator maniple - the diamond checker pattern on the Warhound will be carried across my Arcus maniple & the Warlord's stripes will be used to signify constituents of a Fortis maniple.

I like the idea of repeated motifs in maniples, for some reason that's quite rare among AT folks. Perhaps the desire to think of these engines as singularily impressive individuals is so strong one doesn't immediately think of such insignias that are so common on normal groundpounders :D

It is a cool way of trying various colour schemes. Eager to see the titans once they are done!

Thanks! It's gonna be a little while before I can get back to the Warlord but I've got a lot of Titanicus motivation at the mo so hopefully once I'm back at it I'll knuckle down

I like the idea of repeated motifs in maniples, for some reason that's quite rare among AT folks. Perhaps the desire to think of these engines as singularily impressive individuals is so strong one doesn't immediately think of such insignias that are so common on normal groundpounders :biggrin.:

Yeah it's related to the background of the Legio - they originated as a detachment of the Legio Astraman, but in the early years of their Forge World when they were beset by constant attack, they didn't have time between deployments to repaint their entire plate, which would be scoured clean by Anostos Struix' near-constant, highly acidic rain. Instead, they focused on distinct markings that would help them identify each other should comms be damaged. While their heraldry gradually changed as they became a distinct Legio (with Astraman's mossy green morphing into a deep turquoise), the tradition stuck.

Maniples will share the same motif, but it'll be applied differently to each Titan, and individual Titans will still have distinct heraldry and insignia - entire plates being turquoise are only awarded as battle honours, so outside of distinctive Maniple patterning, you can tell how prestigious/old a Titan is by how much of its plate is turquoise.

Maniples will share the same motif, but it'll be applied differently to each Titan, and individual Titans will still have distinct heraldry and insignia - entire plates being turquoise are only awarded as battle honours, so outside of distinctive Maniple patterning, you can tell how prestigious/old a Titan is by how much of its plate is turquoise.

I did common maniple design but happy I kept them subtle so I can play outside the two Axioms I ended up with. Really like your idea with the turquoise! Looking forward to seeing your engines.

I did common maniple design but happy I kept them subtle so I can play outside the two Axioms I ended up with. Really like your idea with the turquoise! Looking forward to seeing your engines.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm sure it'll cause me some heartache when I inevitably combo Titans from different maniples to try out new maniple types, but at my current list building stage, building battleforces around one of the 3 maniples I've planned for (Venator/Arcus/Fortis) seems to work pretty well, as there's usually only room to reinforce a maniple depending on the points cap, and having single Titans from other maniples on the field will still work aesthetically.

The test panel looks great; looking forward to seeing more painted stuff soon. :smile.:

Thanks! Just need to make sure I don't go overboard with the weathering across whole Titans so they're not too busy (the sample plate probably has a bit too much in that context but it's a useful demo)

• 3 weeks later...

A partially painted mini? Only 5 months after the kits were assmbled? Who woulda thunk it!

The skeleton's almost done, might add a quick shade of dark green to the coppery sections to make them pop a bit more, but now I've got a ton of armour panels to undercoat

gallery_53779_13609_352829.jpg