Legio Exhortor - The Proclamators

Took the most important step of all: naming all of my Titans/ Princeps (given my expected addition of a Starter Set & Warbringer kit :happy.: )

med_gallery_53779_9225_60299.png

Looking good!

Is that a dead Reaver's powerfist holding a dead warhound's head on the base?

Thanks! Yeah, there's a slightly better look at it below:

The Proclamators almost exclusively avoid melee weapons, preferring to engage at extreme range if possible, so I thought it'd be fun to give them a feud with the Legio Vulpa (one of the more overtly melee-focused Legios) over the idea of slights of honour/ accusations of cowardice etc. during the Great Crusade that escalated during the Heresy. Given that, the Reaver arm/ pauldron will be in Vulpa colours, with the Warhound head being a Proclamator's, suggesting that the Bellum Locuta had just avenged one of its fallen compatriots.

gallery_53779_13609_266385.jpg

Excellent, that is exactly how I imagined the backstory of the debris on the base, one of vengeance. Very cool!

Great pose as well. It makes me think of a cowboy just having shot his gun.

Thanks, I often find the Warlord a bit boring (especially in the common 'arms open' pose) so really wanted to make sure it looked dynamic, and having the Bellicosas at opposite elevations gives a sense of movement that can be hard with the chassis - I like the idea that it's turning to face a new threat

I did something similar with one of my Warhounds:

med_gallery_53779_13609_50393.jpgmed_gallery_53779_13609_456580.jpg

Thanks folks - I'll be getting my hands on the starter set at some point in the next few months so I'm looking forward to see how I can use posing to differentiate the new Titans from my existing Warhounds/ Reaver (even if I'm not relishing the idea of having to put two more sets of Reaver legs together)

• 2 months later...

I'm waiting for the Starter Set I ordered to arrive, and looking forward to using the Cerastus as a nice break from painting the Warlord (which I'm still slowly slogging through), so I mocked up the Knight Scheme I'll be using on the official GW models to see how it'll look:

gallery_53779_9225_157391.png

I've considered it, but honestly my modelling skills aren't really advanced enough to come close to what I have in mind, and I'm too much of a perfectionist to be happy with scratch-built approximations, so not for the time being

That said, if I ever actually fulfil my commitment to trying out 3D modelling, printing parts might eventually be a thing? *Very* far away though

• 3 weeks later...

So the Starter Set arrived, & I'll be going back to the Titan's I've already assembled to swap out some parts while I build the new set, but first up I couldn't resist throwing together the Cerastus Knights, which are a dream:

Scion Uhlan Samara Hattori piloting the armour ‘Eunostus’ & Marquise Zuri Ajala (Lord Scion) piloting the armour ‘Despoina’

med_gallery_53779_13609_180623.jpg

It took a bit of sawing, but I went back and swapped out the armament of the smaller Titans from my Battlegroup box, so now they're all armed to a consistent range bracket (I'm trying to outfit them to maximise what can actually fire each combat phase), so here's the Reaver Gaudia Certaminis (The Joys of Battle), and Warhounds Praemonitus & Praemunitus (Forewarned & Forearmed):

med_gallery_53779_13609_101423.jpgmed_gallery_53779_13609_605124.jpg

Edit: oh, I also assembled a Reaver from the starter set but forgot to post it here; meet Resurgam (I shall arise):

med_gallery_53779_13609_401925.jpg

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

• 1 month later...

I've been focusing on painting my Warlord, but I did end up putting the rest of the starter set together, so I managed a shot of the whole Battlegroup, which comes to exactly 2,500 points (once I've grabbed myself an extra Reaver Volcano cannon):

gallery_53779_13609_139850.jpg

The picture's a bit naff (garbage phone camera time), but now the main scheme's blocked in I'm really liking the colour palette - the only big absence is the verdigris that'll circle each panel but that'll have to come right at the end after weathering

med_gallery_53779_13609_477948.jpg

Interesting colour scheme. That's starting to look very nice.

Out of interest have you magnetised that? I'd always recommend magnets for Warlords, though I know some people aren't fans of them.

Thanks! The idea behind it is that they're descendants of the Legio Astraman, but their Forge World is beset by constant corrosive rain and during its establishing years engagements against ork raiders were so frequent that they didn't have time to fully repaint the green (having been stripped away by the rain/weapons fire), so they just repainted it for Maniple markings, a practice that continued as the Legio evolved its own identity.

Nah, I've not magnetised it - my priority with the army is making it affordable so having multiple Warlords/ grabbing magnets/ buying resin weapons when I can build a full Titan from just the box wasn't very appealing - I know swapping a Bellicosa out for a Quake would be more effective, but I'm happier with the fact my entire battlegroup only cost me £150.

Fair enough. It's good you can make a force for AT for such a reasonable sum. However, double bellicosa Warlords do have an unfortunate habit of blowing themselves to bits due to overheating.

Looking at the Ryza book there are one or two Legio traits you could pick to help with this. The Enduring Gods stratagem seems pretty great and will help more than just your Warlord. The Elite Magos trait might also help a little. And you could consider Auxiliary shield capacitors to help protect the titan, because it's unlikely to have power spare for its shields.

Fair enough. It's good you can make a force for AT for such a reasonable sum. However, double bellicosa Warlords do have an unfortunate habit of blowing themselves to bits due to overheating.

Looking at the Ryza book there are one or two Legio traits you could pick to help with this. The Enduring Gods stratagem seems pretty great and will help more than just your Warlord. The Elite Magos trait might also help a little. And you could consider Auxiliary shield capacitors to help protect the titan, because it's unlikely to have power spare for its shields.

Honestly, I'm more inclined to use stratagems/Maniples as a heat management tool - either a Fortis Maniple with a Plasma Generator to help reduce the need to spend repairs on voids/ jump the reactor down a few levels in mid-late turns when I'm less likely to first fire, or in a Perpetua Maniple with a Void Generator stratagem in a similar manner to above but with more of a focus on consistently dropping heat. That's mainly because I'm kinda set on the custom Legio rules I've chosen (Gunnery Command/Masters of Defence/Opening Salvo/Plasma Rifling) given that I'm at heart a narrative gamer and that set really matched the Legio Exhortor's background perfectly - admittedly whenever I get a chance to actually play with them, it may just be too much of a struggle to keep the Warlord (and Volcano/ Plasma Channel Reavers) cool so I could see myself potentially switching some stuff out then. 

I'm working on a formatted background page for the Proclamators including the Crusade Legio rules I've chosen for them, so I thought it was about time I mocked up their Legio Icon:

med_gallery_53779_9225_349402.jpgmed_gallery_53779_9225_140551.png

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

I'm late arriving to this thread, but wanted to congratulate you on the posing of your titans and on the colour scheme.

I like the Legio emblem too.  :smile.:

Thanks! I'm definitely gonna have to mark firing arcs on the base rims, but with a range as relatively limited as AT where conversions are a little harder, giving my Titans some interesting poses really helped give them a sense of individuality which I can hopefully reinforce once they're painted (I'm really looking forward to experimenting with markings & transfers).

Digging the Legio Icon!

How'd you put it together?

Thanks, I'm a digital illustrator by trade so I painted them using Krita - I'm not 100% settled on the design yet, it can definitely use a couple of alterations, but I'm planning on using a few different iterations of varying complexity similar to what you get on some of the Legio transfer sheets:

99510308016_ATLegioTempestusTransfers03.