Legio Exhortor - The Proclamators

I've finished up paintwork on the skeleton for the Bellum Locuta, the armour panels haven't even been basecoated yet but honestly I'm really looking forward to having some large, flat, accessible surfaces to work on

gallery_53779_13609_285266.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_252007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Proclamators are Loyalists, yeah - I'm probably gonna paint the wrecked Reaver arm in Legio Vulpa colours, my background for the Legio Exhortor is that they developed a bitter rivalry with the Death Stalkers during the Great Crusade that further developed into a blood feud during the Heresy

While on a campaign, they were met by a terrible and deep defence network.

But they would break 500 lines
And they would break 500 more
Just to be the guys who break a thousand lines
To fall down at your door.

At whose door, is left as an exercise for the reader. Solid work with the verdigris, Iron Hand Fanatic ;)

At whose door, is left as an exercise for the reader. Solid work with the verdigris, Iron Hand Fanatic :wink:

Or to clear a path for Clan Bransaar to launch an escalade against the Adamant Gate of Leath.

IHF, permission to actually write out this anecdote Forge World-style for you?

Edited by bluntblade

At whose door, is left as an exercise for the reader. Solid work with the verdigris, Iron Hand Fanatic :wink:

Thanks, it was kinda weird planning the colour scheme to include the verdigris as a vital component of the overall aesthetic from the outset but only applying it at the last stage, having to remind myself throughout the whole painting process that it'd come together at the last minute

Or to clear a path for Clan Bransaar to launch an escalade against the Adamant Gate of Leath.

IHF, permission to actually write out this anecdote Forge World-style for you?

As much as I desperately want this awful, awful bit to end, I'm just intrigued enough to say yes

I'm going to have to watch this thread to see it all as it's coming together; the weathering is great and I'm curious to see how it will all look together.

Thanks, the outer plates'll include a lot more of the turquoise and white panels so the overall scheme should look a bit more interesting

I kept it fairly lowkey:

One of the Legio’s most storied campaigns was the Scouring of Layith, in which they alongside Clan Brannsar of the Iron Hands, two Solar Auxilia cohorts and three Imperial Army regiments. Arriving after four months of grinding stalemate against the planet’s Ork occupiers, the Titans and Space Marines embarked upon what later became known as the Thousand Mile March. Breaking the defences in the east and supported by Xth Legion armoured echelons and their own allied taghmata, the Exhortor advance broke through to the very heart of greenskin territory.
  The brazen assault and the mere presence of the Titans drew in Orks like moths to a flame, and the Proclamators and the warriors of Brannsar fought multiple pitched battles, fixing the Orks in place to be destroyed by ferocious aerial assaults from Imperial bomber wings. This had the further benefit of distracting the xenos, enabling numerous attacks by the Army and Solar Auxilia within the enemy lines.
  Enraged further by the Imperial incursion, the Orks began to desert their own defences in a vain effort to destroy their attackers, and in short order the defences which had held for months were undermanned and easy prey for the Emperor’s forces. The campaign barely lasted beyond its fifth month, with the last, largely empty Ork fortress tumbling under merciless bombardment by Legio Exhortor Titans.

• 1 month later...

Almost two years after starting this thread and I finally have a single painted Titan to show for it: Legio Exhortor (Proclamators) Warlord Titan ‘Bellum Locuta’ piloted by Princeps Majoris Imari Oraka, lead Titan of the Fortis Maniple Carnyx-Rho and Battlegroup Kydoemus:

gallery_53779_13609_820844.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_1167214.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_250937.jpg

gallery_53779_13609_669110.jpg

I've already moved on to my pair of Cerastus Knight Lancers as a nice little palette cleanser, and as is tradition I've mocked up their schemes in preparation:

med_gallery_53779_9225_340045.pngmed_gallery_53779_9225_131896.png

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic

Congrats on the first finished engine!

Thanks! As I suspected, having one done has me way more enthused to work on the rest, probably helps that the biggest one is out of the way now too 

Well done, that’s a milestone! I really like the oxidation weathering, it’s really distinct, not seen anyone else do similar and it’s really effective!

Thank you - the weathering ties into their homeworld and background a bit, as they're supposed to be descended from the Legio Astraman, with their home forge of Anostos Struix beset by constant corrosive rain which in their early years stripped away and discoloured the green into a turquoise that could only be maintained as unit markings due to continual deployment impeding full repaints of their Titans. This tradition was maintained as the Legio evolved, and prior to deployment Titans typically stand vigil in the open air of their homeworld to establish a layer of verdigris over their plating, with the gradually built-up patina only removed at the conclusion of a campaign.

In terms of painting, I knew I wanted a green colour to link to Astraman, which copper/bronze pairs well with, and I'm a sucker for teal so I couldn't resist adding some verdigris given that was the direction I was taking - plus I like how it gives them a sense of age by evoking ancient weather-beaten statues.

(Astraman colour scheme for reference)

QCJkjJH1TVkTxMe1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The Cerastus are done, and now I've had a palette cleanser from the Warlord it's back to the turquoise and copper (which contrasts quite nicely with the knights scheme) - given that I'm trying to keep the format of patterning on the Titans consistent across each maniple, I'm considering going for a checker pattern on the Venator, I figured out how to do it via masking & although I do worry it's gonna be a pain to execute, I've mocked up the colour layout for the Titan's I'd be using it on:

[ Scion Uhlan Samara Hattori piloting the armour ‘Eunostus’ & Marquise Zuri Ajala (Lord Scion) piloting ‘Despoina’ ]

gallery_53779_13609_64109.jpggallery_53779_13609_473957.jpg

gallery_53779_9225_151213.jpg

• 6 months later...

It's been a while, but I've been plodding away at the venator maniple, and I finally have a usable battleforce:

gallery_53779_13609_280664.jpggallery_53779_13609_325933.jpggallery_53779_13609_308315.jpggallery_53779_13609_524034.jpggallery_53779_13609_332767.jpg

I also grabbed a precept battleforce box a while back and even managed to swap out the two warhounds for a unit of 3 questoris knights & an acastus, as well as exchanging the warlord's weapon sprue for the plasma/ laser blaster version so I've got plenty to move on to

Well, I've already planned the schemes for my remaining titans (the first warlord in the Fortis maniple is the one that's already done) so I just need to figure out what I wanna start on next (thinking two reavers from the fortis to make it a useable maniple might be an easy lil chunk)

Fortis Maniple Carnyx-Rho:

Carnyx-Rho.png

Arcus Maniple Lutuus-Xi:

Lituus-Xi_overview.png

Excellent works.

Great stuff. Nice to see your battlegroup coming together.

Thanks folks, this has been my first foray back into painting minis after a *long* hiatus so it's very satisfying to reach this stage (also this is my first ever fully-painted army)

Yeah, that’s a really nice, unique looking scheme. Good idea for the spare battlefield asset being turned into two defence points, too!

Thanks! It takes a bit of cutting but yeah, I figured distributing the assets I was never gonna use across the bases was a decent way to put off having to actually buy the terrain sets :happy.: