Horus Heresy Book 8: Malevolence

m0nolith

I'll have to pull through all the different catalogues to figure out what to do with daemons -- maybe evoke the old Chaos Daemon World list, old C35 and C38 Chaos Warriors and Beastmen alongside Mirilton Grenadier Chaos and Knightmare Miniatures Pantheon stuff, with their excellent Greater Daemon of Malice at the fore, all supported by some of the monstrosities that Mierce makes... want to get my hands on some Mantic Nightstalker Reapers (these excellent models) but I believe they're out of production, and I can't get my hands on them. Genuinely great models on Mantic's part (I never thought I'd see the day when I'd say those words.) The possibilities are, genuinely, endless.

(Yes, yes, I know that the stipulation does specify "Games Workshop models" but I'm unlikely to ever play in a GW again, and I've not much interest in following arbitrary consumerist checklists over using aesthetically pleasing models.)

On a slightly different note -- the Warmonger is the perfect way to represent the Captain of my Blood Angels parachute company, something I've struggled with working out for ages, and so that army's back on the table. Very pleased with how everything's turning out with that.

Originally, book 8 was set to include both Dark Mech and the Dark Angels. But they split it up, and we'll see both of those in Book 9.

Maybe get off your high horse and show us Page 309? Im assuming if its impressive it wont have any rules on it? :tongue.:

it turns out page 309 is the Alan Bligh dedication.

Edited by LetsYouDown

The daemon list looks amazing and I can't wait to figure out what direction I want to go. I guess I should try to pick up the book at Adepticon.

As to some of the concerns, I definitely agree that there is a potential issue with people abusing the lack of official models. People should not just be grabbing a random or semi-random grab bag of models. There should be real effort to convert a thematically coherent army that fits within the world of 30k with emanations of horror modeled where appropriate. Grabbing Witch Elves and Nighthaunt and slamming them side by side probably will look weird. But if someone kitbashed together the banshee models with witch elves, within a larger ghosty army might look good. So long as folks take this as a legit modeling challenge/opportunity, then that's amazing and I'm confident that that is what folks will do.

My main thoughts are Nighthaunt for Nurgle, Chaos Warriors/Darkoath for Khorne, Witch Elves for Slaanesh, and Beastmen for Tzeentch.

(Maybe switch Nighthaunt and Beastmen)

pssst there's 5 theme's/not gods really gods/things for the DotR list ;)

My main thoughts are Nighthaunt for Nurgle, Chaos Warriors/Darkoath for Khorne, Witch Elves for Slaanesh, and Beastmen for Tzeentch.

(Maybe switch Nighthaunt and Beastmen)

pssst there's 5 theme's/not gods really gods/things for the DotR list ;)

There's 6 actually

Got my book yesterday, so have spent a little time trying to wade through the book (it is rather large).

For those wanting to see a bit more around the lore rather than the rules / units.

Some nice info around the first sphere of the Blood Angels:

gallery_26271_15339_888128.jpg

Here's some of the various insignia:

gallery_26271_15339_476301.jpeg

For the White Scars, here are some of the insignia of the pre-Khan Pioneer Companies:

gallery_26271_15339_208531.jpeg

Some of the auxiliary orders within the White Scars but outside of the traditional Brotherhood organisations:

gallery_26271_15339_1513314.jpg

Examples of White Scars shoulder pads and banner heraldry:

gallery_26271_15339_467874.jpg

gallery_26271_15339_126352.jpg

And finally, the character of Tsolmon Khan, who after the battle on Chondax returned the relics of a Knight Centura of the Sisters of Silence to her Order, and as a mark of respect by the Order has an Oblivion Knight Centura assigned to him as an honour guard (something he can take in games as well as in the fluff).

gallery_26271_15339_269855.jpg

I'll keep looking for other lore-bits that people might like to see.

You’re a mensch, Parker. Is the section about the 300 companies pretty straight forward (like 1000 guys divided into sub companies) or is it more convoluted.

I have to admit, I had to google 'mensch' - I had no idea what that meant. Thank you!

I took some full-page photos of the IXth Legion hierarchy as it does differ slightly from others, but at it's core it's relatively straightforward. As it states in there, each of the 300 companies is made up of around 500 marines, but how each company is constructed in terms of squad types can be very different. Plus there are the three sphere's that encompass the Legion; third sphere being rank and file Legionnaires, second sphere being traditional command, and the first sphere being the Sanguiniary Guard, the Crimson Paladins, the Angels Tears, and the Burning Eyes.

There aren't any examples of company details that I've seen so far, everything seems to be at a higher (and more generic) level.

PICS:

gallery_26271_15339_1637147.jpg

gallery_26271_15339_120098.jpg