Horus Heresy Book 8: Malevolence

m0nolith

Brothers, regarding the Warmonger:

I hope you're all ready for Deep Striking:

• Bikes
  • Myrmidons
  • Anything else ridiculous

Though actually I'd love to see an Army of Dark Compliance with a Warmonger deep-striking a unit of jacked-up Ogryns.

I've been out of 30k since 8th ed 40k, though a friend got the new 30k rulebook already (I just hadn't flipped through it yet).

Can Legion Marine characters join up with Allies now (thus a Warmonger with Myrmidon Destructors can Deep Strike)?

Because that'd be utterly insane.  The only limitation they had was the relatively short range of their best anti-MEQ and anti-TEQ weapons.

Brothers, regarding the Warmonger:

I hope you're all ready for Deep Striking:

• Bikes
  • Myrmidons
  • Anything else ridiculous
Though actually I'd love to see an Army of Dark Compliance with a Warmonger deep-striking a unit of jacked-up Ogryns.

I've been out of 30k since 8th ed 40k, though a friend got the new 30k rulebook already (I just hadn't flipped through it yet).

Can Legion Marine characters join up with Allies now (thus a Warmonger with Myrmidon Destructors can Deep Strike)?

Because that'd be utterly insane. The only limitation they had was the relatively short range of their best anti-MEQ and anti-TEQ weapons.

Depends on the relationship your armies have.

If they are BFF then yes this will be a thing UNLESS they point out in his rules that he can only deep strike his detachment.

Why wouldn't they be ?

You start rolling for reserves from turn one on a 3 up.

You have at least one, if not multiple units with the  'Vanguard of Hell'  rule.

You get units that you actually can deploy normally that don't yield VP's if destroyed.

You can mix DS where available with emerging from a Warp Rift for a broader spectrum of possibilities.

And I'm certain there's more shenanigans even.

I gotta say, from what I've seen thus far, I'm seriously impressed by the Ruinstorm rules.

But you can block Warp rifts with your units (like surrounding them, yes?) and  have entire army worth of augury scanners so IF you get the first turn you can delete units aas they arive from turn one. Depends how your opponent placed his rifts of course. And for now I can't see a demon unit/special rule that can threaten your backfield, so...

I deleted previous post because I haven't seen it all, just speculating on available data. I'm aware I might have missed something or not really understand demon mechanics after one look at the rules. (likeI haven't seen deep striking demons)

Edited by rendingon1+

All right, need some clarification about it.

The Dawnbreakers have a Grenade Discharger (with frag and krak munitions). They are like weapons in the profile. There are people discussing these are NOT grenades, which I find quite weird. I'm posting an example here, if I'm not supposed to please delete it.

Ran

Edited by Captain Semper
Deleted post of rules

Makes them terrible, can't assault into cover.

Haha, you're right.

I can't even count how often they messed that up. How stupid are those people?

Maybe they think "fragment munition" is sufficient or smth.

I would guess the FW team intended the grenade discharger to work similarly to the grenade harness from the legion terminators (counts as using assault grenades the turn you shoot it) , as it would be weird that Dawnbreakers are basically the only (or one of the very few) legion power armoured marines that do not carry assault grenades with them. Then again, I guess it is another thing that will need an errata.

They probably did. But they didn't actually give them those rules; I'm getting flashbacks to Inferno and how haphazard that was on the editing

Personally, these are the kind of things that I would go "Yeah, obvious oversight" and just allow my opponent to use them as if they had grenades, given that they shoot them on the shooting phase (maybe make them use the frag ones in order to get the benefit, just to troll them a bit in exchange :D).

Then again, I understand that depending on the situation this may not be feasible, so obviously the best option is to let FW know about the issue and see if they can solve it quickly through an errata.

Or, they were under the impression some of us might be clever enough to recognize that a grenade discharger is not a grenade launcher and actually dispenses a frag grenade which obviously counts as an assault grenade.

Or, we haven't seen the full rules for the grenade discharger yet.

In any case, it's painstakingly obvious they're meant to work in an assault.

Again, one of those moronic RAW vs. RAI issues ...

Likely to be unpopular here....

This book looks terrible. As in, enough to put me off attending any events and thus killing off my interest in the game terrible.

Heresy appeals to me as a transparent, pseudo-historical game of sci-fi armies. Plenty scope for variation in a familiar, expansive, and fairly straightforward list once you figure out the RoW and unlocking mechanics offered by certain characters. Something faintly reminiscent of gritty old 3rd edition 40k.

And then we have The Daemons of the Ruinstorm. An entire army of counts as with invisible, esoteric rules and bizarre victory conditions. Something completely alien to the 'realistic' (massive quotation marks there) aesthetic of 30k. 

Oh man, I really don't want to hate this development but I loathe it completely.

Also: Holy proof-reading Batman, there's three different ways of capitalising and/or hyphenating 'Equinox Power Blade Case' on a single page.

Edited by Scammel

Or, they were under the impression some of us might be clever enough to recognize that a grenade discharger is not a grenade launcher and actually dispenses a frag grenade which obviously counts as an assault grenade.

Or, we haven't seen the full rules for the grenade discharger yet.

In any case, it's painstakingly obvious they're meant to work in an assault.

Again, one of those moronic RAW vs. RAI issues ...

Forcing players to guess or interpret is automatically poor rules writing. The onus is on the people who are paid to write the rules, not on the people shelling out for them.

And yes, it's obvious, but it's also not a case of "only those waac players will be able to twist this" . It's purely a shooting weapon; grenade launchers don't confer assault grenade rules. They need to tighten this kind of thing up because, once again we pay big money for these and it's been an endemic problem for the last few years.

@scammael it's interesting because to me, the daemon list is perfect because it's so alien and reminds me of 3.5 csm and 6th Ed hordes of chaos

Edited by SkimaskMohawk