The Second Barbarossa Crusade

The Pounder

I was looking for ideas on which force I wanted to start next (New Year and all that)

After hours of trawling through images of Space Marines I came across one of a Castellan, in Black Templars livery, they were just what I was looking for!

I read some of the background and really liked the idea of the Crusade, I'd already bought some Death Korps of Krieg models so thought why not do both?

So with that in mind I needed to find a suitable story to bring the 2 together, then I read about the Barbarossa Crusade, given that both Tempars and DKoK have Germanic influences I thought it would be a good fit. The original Barbarossa Crusade was too early in the time line for Primaris so the Second Barbarossa Crusade was born!

To start with I'll be concentrating on DKoK and Primaris Black Templars but over time I'll probably dip in and out of other Imperial factions (gotta love the Imperium and it's wide range of interesting factions!)

For the Templars I wanted to start at the top (I wanted a leader to start building the Crusade around) So here's Primaris Marshal De Molet 

32184748077_fae1feb644_c.jpgTemplar Marshal

I used a lot of bitz to try and make him look the part, this is probably the scheme I'll be going for with all the Templars stuff.

Now all I need is a symbol (Campaign badge) for the Crusade to tie everything in. I want something simple but effective so I can add it to the Guard elements too. 

Any ideas?

I came. I saw. I liked.

EDIT: that felt a bit pretentious as the only contents of my reply....

Welcome to the Eternal Crusade, brother!

Really liking your marshal, great use of Helbrecht's bits. Eagerly awaiting to see what you do next.

Edited by Reinhard

Outstanding!

I really like how he turned out and this effort bodes very well for your crusade.

Regarding a crusade badge, take your time figuring out what you want it to look like. It shouldn't be too complex because you will want to reproduce it on a small scale. If you're going to use decals, then you have more leeway.

If you are going to paint the crusade badge by hand, then keep that in mind with your design. Make sure it can be rendered down to something you can duplicate if you should want to apply it to figures and/or vehicles.

Onwards brother and welcome to the Eternal Crusade!

Thats really neat looking model, the body is the Primaris Captain, right? Because I was also thinking of converting it into a proxy for Helbrecht so Im glad it can look this good. Congrats and keep it up.

Looks like... the Primaris Captain, Helbrecht's sword and backpack, a Hellblaster plasma pistol arm, and shoulder pads from the Black Templars Accessories sprue.

Thanks for the warm welcome to this sub forum!

Reinhard, not at all, made me smile.

Honda, good advice, I’ll try something akin to the Dark Angels Company markings, I was going for a skull or stylised cross but I think there’s enough skulls and crosses on the models already.

redmapa, you’ll have to saw off the arm from Helbrecht, but easy enough to do.

Bjorn Firewalker, thanks again.

CommodusXIII, yep you got it!

Pearson, they were simple to do, glad you liked them.

Marshal Vespasian, not sure how much conversion there will be, I hope I don’t disappoint!

I think as far as the heraldry goes its best practice to go for something that adds a little bit of colour to our Standard reportoire of Black white Red and utilizes pictograms conductible to easyfreehanding.

For me its a Sun and a spear e.g. A circle and Triangle on a cone.

Maybe some Variation of a sandclock (2 Triangle) could work well for example.

I found swiss county heraldry on license plates quite interesting in how they reduce heraldry down.

Marshal Vespasian, thanks I went with a red circle with upside down V in the end.

Firepower, Thanks very much!

I've finished my first squad, these are my take on Aggressors. The kit was a joy to work with, though I was a bit over zealous with drilling out the barrels on their bolters.

Also some of the shoulder pads are the wrong way round but I thought they'd look good!

32219474147_2cb000b41c_c.jpgBlack Templars Aggressors 

32219469277_7aae2e4997_c.jpgBlack Templars Aggressors 

33286226118_504acd6249_c.jpgBlack Templars Aggressors 

32219468647_f8957c4a62_c.jpgBlack Templars Aggressors 

33286226878_2a7cd2e8d9_c.jpgBlack Templars Aggressors 

Thanks for looking!

Excellent. Really like the feel of them. The very subdued highlighting you do, gives me pause to reconsider the very stark highlights i do myself.

They're also very similiar something I'm working on myself... seeing these I should've perhaps saved up some old Terminator pads as you've proven they look really good on them

Curious as to where the loincloth bit is from?

I don’t know where they were from tbh, I bought a load from eBay.

Reinhard, I’ve just seen your force, what you’re doing is great so I wouldn’t worry.

Got bored tonight so I built a Chaplain and 2 Lieutenants out of some Intercessors, they’ll be my next update for the Templars.

Thanks for all the interest.

I've finished my Chaplain! I decided to make my own as I'm not a fan of the Primaris Chaplain.
I used a Intercessor body and tarted him up with some bits form my bitz box.
I know he doesn't have the skull mask but I'm pleased with him anyway.