The Second Barbarossa Crusade

The Pounder

Marshal Vespasian, hopefully he’ll kill many heretics with said mace!

Bjorn Firewalker, he doesn’t have a skull mask because I didn’t have the bit!

Chaplain Matthias, thanks, I’m looking forward to seeing yours! Can’t beat a bit of righteous zeal!

falcongek, nope Chaplain Matthias is right, they’re from FW.

Thanks again!

Next up will be the Castellans.

Finished the first of 2 Castellans.

I've used bits from the GW Black Templars upgrade set (an absolute God Emperor send) there are so many useful bitz on the frames.

Hopefully when the new Codex is released Lieutenants will get the option to take powerfists! (The updated Intercessor Data sheet features the option so fingers crossed))

I'm really pleased with how the banner went, I'm not usually confident enough to do things freehand but I think I got away with it!

Thanks for looking!

The Banner looks really good.

Also I am normally not for shiny gold, but the really bright chest piece really catches the eye amids the other more muted colours which just works with that pose. Especially since the other gold pieces arent as bright. A very very good job

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Thanks very much gents!

This is my second Castellan, again he's a mix of parts from the Black Templars Upgrade kit as well as the Primaris Captain eagle pad (with the red and black I think it looks a bit Judge Dredd!!)
I've done him bare headed because I wanted to practice human faces. Not sure if you can see it in the pics but one of his eyes is blind.
I think I'll call him Phillip.
Next up I'd better work on some troops!

I admire the effort you put in the second Castellan, especially on the well-applied paint. However, it makes little sense for him to cradle a bolt rifle in one hand, when his sword rests in its scabbard. As you have his right hand firing a bolt pistol, I think his left should either be lowered so he can mag-lock the bolt rifle to his side, out of the way so he can reach the sword hilt; or raised so he can draw the sword.

Bjorn Firewalker, I just thought it looked cool! Brother Abelard nailed it, it was an easier option!

Marshal Vespasian, they’re pretty much as you do yours. Cadian Fleshtone, Flesh wash, Cadian Fleshtone again with 3 further highlights progressively adding more Flayed ones flesh. Hope that helps.

Marshal Matthias, thanks very much! That’s exactly what I was going for!

My question is what next?

I have 5 Intercessors left but I’m not sure what to get next.

I was thinking of another box of Intercessors and a Redemptor Dreadnought.

I’m looking to spending around £60.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally made some progress on my Black Templars!
First squad of Intercessors is now complete.
With these Astartes I've tried to add some individuality to each model be it pose or mix of parts.
The idea is for everyman to be a hero!
I've tried not to add as much bling to these as compared to the characters I've converted.
Really pleased with how they're going.
Apologies for the wall of pics!
Thanks for the interest.

I am liking the Posing on the sgt. Sometimes I am sad that I didn't do the cream coloured pouldrons on my crusade as well.

All in all great execution on the minis, nice clean edge Highlights and freehands. I am not that much of a fan of the Extra line Highlight on the shoulder pads though, but it is an artistic choice and of you like it like that, roll with it.

• 3 weeks later...
Progress!!!
I've finished my second squad of Intercessors for the Black Templars.
I'm keeping to minimum size squads for now.
Also I've decided on a theme, the idea is to go fully for units (or transports) with the fly keyword.
This will mean I'll be going for things like the Repulsor and Inceptors.
I didn't want to build 2 gunline lists so the Templars will be very mobile and also will be able to fill gaps as needed.
Here are the pics:
Thanks for looking.

Very nice and crisp looking.

I like the shoulders more without the inner Highlight, so good call on leaving that out on this squad. I really like thosw cream coloured pads.

Also good use of spare Upgrade sprue bits to keep your guys fresh and templary looking.

• 3 weeks later...
It's taking me a long time but I've finished my third squad of Intercessors!!
I've continued to try and keep the individuality of each brother going.
I've raided my bitz box to do this, though I may have to hit ebay etc to find more diverse parts.
Still I'm really pleased with the progression of the Crusade.

Not sure what to add next, my idea for this force is for it to be very mobile so maybe a Repulsor or some Inceptors?

Marshal Vespasian, I’m glad you like them! I usually shy away from any freehand but thought I’d give it a go.

Firepower, I wanted to keep the main armoured areas as dark as possible to balance against the bright red and gold parts.

Thanks very much for the replies.