Rogue Trader kill teams

Orpheus108

I've played against the Servants of the Abyss and having a Psyker is strong in KT. They can also spam bodies pretty well. If I was to run them I would probably have a list something like

Rogue Psyker - Comms

TG Sgt - Leader

Beastman - Combat

Cultist - Zealot

3 x Beastmen

3 x Cultists

2 x TG with Lasguns

I've played many one off standard KT games with the Elucidian Starstriders, (as no one in my area has come to an agreement on how death in convalescence will work during campaigns with the named characters) and I think they take a lot more finesse than people realize and most people that have played with mine as a test didn't enjoy it.  

Most of the damage is going to come from Knosso Prond and the Heavy gunner (the more bullets strategem is just so nice) with some cheeky mortal wounds from Voidmaster Nitsch as CP allows.  I've been able to completely shut down a Grey Knights KT, and gotten completely pasted by Necrons as well. Some matchups will just not be fun with them and are major uphill climbs.

Knowing the limitations of BS 3+ guardsman is probably the most important factor here, as a good portion of the team is just GE models with las weapons.  

I've also noticed that other than Aximillion and Prond, staying as a close knit pod around Grauss is the most effective way to play since they get the 5++, and you absolutely must keep Mint protected as she (to my knowledge) is the only baseline medic in the system that can remove flesh wounds from friendly models.  To go back to Aximillion and Prond, their ability to run solo is invaluable in the objective scenarios.  Send Prond onto objectives with few enemy defenders and in a turn or two you should clear it out.  Her staying on the offensive is further (IMO) confirmed by her inbuilt 5++ save.  Aximillion on the other hand is quite good at early and late game objective grabbing and is very good at not getting shot due to his low model profile and high MV stat.  Boards with a lot of terrain will be awful for opponents trying to bring the dog down.

I would love to try out a commanders game but have not been able to as most people in my area are opposed to the expansion as a whole, so I cannot comment on how the team differs when led by Vhane.  

As a TLDR: Keep Prond and the Gunner alive, stick to cover and under the 5++ bubble unless you are the assassin or dog.  Know target priority!

I've played many one off standard KT games with the Elucidian Starstriders, (as no one in my area has come to an agreement on how death in convalescence will work during campaigns with the named characters) and I think they take a lot more finesse than people realize and most people that have played with mine as a test didn't enjoy it.

Most of the damage is going to come from Knosso Prond and the Heavy gunner (the more bullets strategem is just so nice) with some cheeky mortal wounds from Voidmaster Nitsch as CP allows. I've been able to completely shut down a Grey Knights KT, and gotten completely pasted by Necrons as well. Some matchups will just not be fun with them and are major uphill climbs.

Knowing the limitations of BS 3+ guardsman is probably the most important factor here, as a good portion of the team is just GE models with las weapons.

I've also noticed that other than Aximillion and Prond, staying as a close knit pod around Grauss is the most effective way to play since they get the 5++, and you absolutely must keep Mint protected as she (to my knowledge) is the only baseline medic in the system that can remove flesh wounds from friendly models. To go back to Aximillion and Prond, their ability to run solo is invaluable in the objective scenarios. Send Prond onto objectives with few enemy defenders and in a turn or two you should clear it out. Her staying on the offensive is further (IMO) confirmed by her inbuilt 5++ save. Aximillion on the other hand is quite good at early and late game objective grabbing and is very good at not getting shot due to his low model profile and high MV stat. Boards with a lot of terrain will be awful for opponents trying to bring the dog down.

I would love to try out a commanders game but have not been able to as most people in my area are opposed to the expansion as a whole, so I cannot comment on how the team differs when led by Vhane.

As a TLDR: Keep Prond and the Gunner alive, stick to cover and under the 5++ bubble unless you are the assassin or dog. Know target priority!

Thank you so much for this feedback as I myself have been wondering how they faired.

But you bring up a greater point. About the acceptance of the Commanders expansion. My 2 regular opponents are pretty opposed to it as well. I actually really like the idea, but am satisfied with 100 point games and no HQs.

I think my buddies are afraid it's a slippery slope that will escalate, both causing us to buy more models and losing the squad based charm of the game and turning it into 40k lite. Is this something to worry about?

Feels like I don't even want to run my Rogue Trader KT if I can't play commanders.

A number of players at our club are open to the open play format and want to use the Starstrider special retainers, blackstone fortress characters. On paper it will be a fun game to play i believe as we both have the sets. Over the next week inhipe to get 3 or 4 games in and see how they go.

Archived