Bringer of Sorrow- HH Short

MarineRaider

I just finished this and have to say I really enjoyed it and recommend it.

It picks up months after Master of Mankind leaves off with Land, his monkey ( he plays a nice role) and our damaged Captain of the Blood Angels.

I do not want to give too much away as it's a short but it is worth the read mainly because, well it's uplifting. ADB is a interesting writer, at first I hated MoM and now I love it. I suppose I wanted more, more insight to E and his thoughts and desires but I understand why he wrote it the way he did. But Land is a great, great character and I hope we see him after the Siege leading a crusade to free the Emperor from the Golden Throne.

After 10 reads of MoM this was a nice add-on. I hope this Captain of Blood Angels survives the Siege, he exactly what the E wanted from his Space Marines.

This short was minor and not really relevant in the grand scheme of things (currently in the HH series) but I totaly LOVED it, it was just a prefect pick-up for Zephon after Master of Mankind.

Also we need to start a move to make ADB's new nickname the Bringer of Sorrow, on the count of all of his characters that are liked die in some horrible fashion.... I don't like the future of Zephon with this in mind....

This short was minor and not really relevant in the grand scheme of things (currently in the HH series) but I totaly LOVED it, it was just a prefect pick-up for Zephon after Master of Mankind.

Also we need to start a move to make ADB's new nickname the Bringer of Sorrow, on the count of all of his characters that are liked die in some horrible fashion.... I don't like the future of Zephon with this in mind....

Considering what we know about Zephon now, it seems like it's fair to say we know how his story ends. Just not the particulars. Could always get a twist at the end though, I suppose

Fantastic short story. Every moment of it reminded me of why I loved these characters in Master of Mankind, and if anything, they're even more vibrant and fleshed-out now, it feels.

I'm really impressed that such a short story can evoke genuine feelings of amusement, awe, sadness and joy over its course. Superb stuff and I'm really hoping for more.

So erm...spoilers?

SPOILERS

The story begins with the Blood Angels Legion making planetfall on Terra and Zephon lookin on in awe in tears happy to be reunited with his brothers and Primarch. Of course Land scorns all this sentiment & offers Zephon a long term solution to the injuries that separated him from his Legion which Zephon accepts. They begin the surgery and several hours In Land sees that the temporary surgery done in Master of Mankind did more long term damage to his nerves and bones in his hands, but his exploration has led to discovery of certain technologies which skirt the prohibition of A.I., also called Abominable Intelligence. It's not QUITE A.I., but cuts it close. Anyway, the surgery was successful and Zephon gets a cool new pair of mastercrafted artificer hands care of Land, but it comes with a request: Land wants an audience with Sanguinius himself. Zephon is taken aback because he would've requested the audience on Land's behalf because of the friendship he thought they had as opposed to it being in repayment for a favor. (Land's monkey has become fond of Zephon it seems and they've spent the majority of time together since the end of Master of Mankind) Zephon, who's feeling are now hurt, tells Land that Sanguinius will not use the Blood Angels to attempt to retake Mars but he will still grant him the audience if possible. Land eventually is set to meet Sanguinius and is walking to the portal leading to the section of the Imperial Palace where the Angel is residing and is informed by one of the helmed Blood Angels on duty that he has ten minutes only to be in the presence of Sanguinius and that's it. Land recognizes Zephon and asks him if it is indeed him, which Zephon ignores and goes back to his post. As Land walks past him, his monkey jumps on Zephon's pauldron and Zephon scratches the monkey in the spot he likes, acknowledging Land. The end.

• 4 weeks later...

So...considering that Zephon became a Sanguinary Guard, that means he will die aboard the Vengeful Spirit as Azkaellon was the only one to survive. Bit of a shame, really liked the dude.

Ran

Archived