Mechanicus and the Meta

Prot

At least 2 UK ETC tournaments have been won this year with Admech, it might be 3 but I'm not sure which list he took to the first one, same player took the 3 wins. I don't know the full list but it has 30 Kataphron in it, I think it was 21 plasma and 9 grav. I will see if I can get the list details, I know it was Mars and used the vigilus formation.

It's a surprise to see AM doing well as it's been Eldar flyer lists near the top recently at least until the formation buffs returned. Now assassins will mix it up again.

At least 2 UK ETC tournaments have been won this year with Admech, it might be 3 but I'm not sure which list he took to the first one, same player took the 3 wins. I don't know the full list but it has 30 Kataphron in it, I think it was 21 plasma and 9 grav. I will see if I can get the list details, I know it was Mars and used the vigilus formation.

It's a surprise to see AM doing well as it's been Eldar flyer lists near the top recently at least until the formation buffs returned. Now assassins will mix it up again.

I like the premise of such a list, but overdoing it like this is too much for me. I'm personally just never a fan of these lists that use a single unit to excess. I personally think it leaves a tournament to a strong degree of match ups. It also depends on the tournament scenarios. 

That's just me, but I do like to see this over the Castellan 'AdMech' lists with success. 

They do have a lot of details and crevices to paint, don't they? I'm also never sure whether to glue them to the base first and texture the base afterwards or detail the base and then stick them on. Neither feels very straightforward unless your textured material is the right colour to start with.

In terms of the hobby side of things... Hidden below as off topic-ish.

On the subject of a mass Kataphron list - with Vigilus and CA points drops it's obviously very strong and a great theme for Ad Mech (if sending in servitors works then they'd certainly go hard on it!) Needs must etc when it comes to being competitive. I guess the crux is that when your basic trooper is the equivalent of other armies elite shooting units, why not take as many as you can?

Hidden Content

Hmm... I found them surprisingly easy to do? However I'll admit my scheme was very much tabletop and simple. Can't for the life of me remember if I finished the details but it was only really the weapons and some eyes etc.

You can mostly get away with a silver undercoat, heavy wash and then just filling in plates with the right colours. Though I know some people go more detailed than that!

VQQkacP.jpg

Looks great charlo! The wash helps things immensely. 

Mine are all done now as well. I use 6 in every list, but I do see there is a danger in it. The Servitors are mandatory, or else it's just a squad of dudes that can die fairly easily (I do find their 4+ hard to deal with.)

The tendency is to get other shooting from other units, and that locks you into this mindset, and if you're not careful, I find something flies across the board, and ties you up in a never-ending CC ball of hell.

This is the tipping point for me. I lay off that stuff, and kind of using Priests or what not to alieve some of that stress. It's a tight balancing act for sure since some armies.... like Astra, or something with Fly, like Tau, Eldar... they don't have to play that balancing act to the same degree. They simply block, or disengage.

Looks great charlo! The wash helps things immensely. 

Mine are all done now as well. I use 6 in every list, but I do see there is a danger in it. The Servitors are mandatory, or else it's just a squad of dudes that can die fairly easily (I do find their 4+ hard to deal with.)

The tendency is to get other shooting from other units, and that locks you into this mindset, and if you're not careful, I find something flies across the board, and ties you up in a never-ending CC ball of hell.

This is the tipping point for me. I lay off that stuff, and kind of using Priests or what not to alieve some of that stress. It's a tight balancing act for sure since some armies.... like Astra, or something with Fly, like Tau, Eldar... they don't have to play that balancing act to the same degree. They simply block, or disengage.

Thanks mate, I need to go back and finish-off my mech...!

Couldn't agree more on the balancing act. Ad Mech lists are like a fine calculation, whereas something like IG can just throw things at the wall and soemthing will stick and stick hard!

It looks like from your avatar you might be sidetracked?

That’s a good analogy comparing AdMech to others.

Since we’re in the topic of meta, I should mention I feel like Mars, which obviously benefits quite a bit from Cawl, is getting harder and harder. I believe the meta is moving from characters, and it’s only goin to get harder moving forward.

I agree with this , i've never actually been a huge fan of named characters , and with the abundance of anti character weapons in lists 
Vindi's , and the odd Caste missile stratagem , big char's like Cawl who cant so easily be hidden and rely on having a few wounds plus repair along with a mediocre invuln will die .

I've not played mars since the schism anyway :-P I wont soup My ad mech  so its  Stygies and or Metallica  for me ...

I think Stygies is still the thing to do. There's always been some character threat but it's getting pretty wild now. I was playing my Thousand Sons and faced a Genestealer Cult list with the new (anti-psyker) sniper stuff, it's getting crazy. New Assassin rules.... New Eliminators for marines... Tau Sniper drone lists. It sure would be nice to have a vehicle to put Cawl into now and then!!!

Interesting points on characters/growth of anti-character meta.

Almost makes me feel bad for running 6x arqebus in my current list....almost :D

Never used cawl/mars so don't really have experience with him...but I can see why you'd be worried when a model of that size/cost/importance to the castle can now be taken down pretty easy with multi damage sniping (not so worried about S4 eliminators as I would be the GSC and new assassins rules).

I love the idea of running more TUA's   but every time i use them they just let me down  ,....  Invulnerable saves  , the inability of moving the model at all and the stats on the gun , for its points cost .

To reliably kill a space marine Captain you need what  9-10 shots  thats with re-rolls to hit and assuming he doesnt have a storm shield  around 250 points ... O.o ....  compare it to 250 points of vindicare . I shudder  , two should pretty much kill the  captain before you even consider mortal wounds from headshot  at half the points

What are y'alls opinions on Electropriests and which variant do you like better and why ?

Fulgurites. Higher possibility and higher number of mortal wounds compared to the Corpuscarii, the potential for a 3+ invul. And frankly, I just like close combat better.

Corpuscarii are still quite reliable in my opinion. And the amount of shots they can pump out can be impressive.

I love the idea of running more TUA's   but every time i use them they just let me down  ,....  Invulnerable saves  , the inability of moving the model at all and the stats on the gun , for its points cost .

To reliably kill a space marine Captain you need what  9-10 shots  thats with re-rolls to hit and assuming he doesnt have a storm shield  around 250 points ... O.o ....  compare it to 250 points of vindicare . I shudder  , two should pretty much kill the  captain before you even consider mortal wounds from headshot  at half the points

I get where you are coming from, although i think comparing any sniper unit to the Vindicare at this point is unfair as he is just great for the points...but i get this thread is about the meta and vindicare is the new sniper standard!! 

When i played 2-3, they usually always whiffed, but with 6 on the board you have a decent chance to do some serious damage to stuff. Theyre less than 200 points if you arent taking omnispex (but i try to if i have the points), and fill out the troop slots nicely if going for brigades/double battalions etc.

I like to deploy as one big blog so all the snipers cover the same parts of the board and just dont move them all game.

As you say the captain with 3++ they're not going to do great against.... but anything with a 3++ would be at the bottom of my priority for them to shoot at.

The last few games Ive played I've actually found my TUAs more useful for taking the last few wounds off vehicles than I have with them killing characters. The T7 -2ap d3 damage for me gives them way more utility for this than say the new S4 eliminators.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure all you cog boys are waiting restlessly for a FW Custodes style draft datasheets for all that sweet 30k tech. 

You mean the Duke Nukem Forever of 40k? Nice as it may be - it's done when it's done. Wake me up when there's anything solid... :sleep:

With the meta where I am, I still find the Kastelans are an auto include regardless of FW. Obviously theyre better in Mars but they clear out Infantry like nobodies business. Mars just gives them the ability to take out harder units with WoM like IKnights etc.

The same with Fulgurite priests really. You can have games where they just flop due to poor use or bad matchup but you can also win games with just 10 of them. I run 2 units of 10 each with its own termite.

When you have 5 Kastelans, 2 termites, 20 priests and then whatever else in your list, I find that Cawl and other characters are generally ignored due to the opponent having to deal with the killier things first.

If running priests and termites in a Stygies list, take a Manipulus. That extra inch on moving and charging is gold.

Also, what are peoples thoughts on whats better. 6 x arquebus or 1 Vindicare? 6 arquebus spread one on each squad of 5 rangers

Archived