The Praetorian Crusade

Crovan

I'm liking the mini's, and the concept of the direction that your fluff is taking. I think that your Marshal should be prepared for disappointment though, as it has been stated in some lore over the past decade that Dorn himself DID in fact die during the First Black Crusade, with only one or both (depending on which version you subscribe to) of his hands being found instead of his body. There is some speculation that he may be trapped in the Eye of Terror, or that he has taken a vow of silence and is secretly guarding the Imperial Palace until the end times. The fact is, nobody really knows what happened to him after the events of the Black Crusade. I'm pretty sure it has been left purposely open-ended to add mystery to his disappearance and the mystery of the loyalist primarchs abscence overall. But that's just the lore by GW. As with all things when it comes to lore, it becomes murky and fluid depending on the time of publication, writer's perspective, biases, and current mood within the game.

I honestly can't wait to see more come from you in the fluff department, and your mini's are really looking great. I might just have to "borrow" the idea for four Sword Brethren myself, but that's a way off ATM.

Edited by SWORD BROTHER RYAN

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a WIP of one of my Sword Brethren. I still have some cleanup, and probably another round of highlights to do, as well as some more gradient work on his sword. Going forward, I think I'll be basecoating the IF shoulder pads white. What do you think, brothers? Is it too "busy?" I'm used to the much more austere scheme of normal BTs.

med_gallery_2986_15309_263939.jpg

Edited by Crovan

I'm liking the mini's, and the concept of the direction that your fluff is taking. I think that your Marshal should be prepared for disappointment though, as it has been stated in some lore over the past decade that Dorn himself DID in fact die during the First Black Crusade, with only one or both (depending on which version you subscribe to) of his hands being found instead of his body. There is some speculation that he may be trapped in the Eye of Terror, or that he has taken a vow of silence and is secretly guarding the Imperial Palace until the end times. The fact is, nobody really knows what happened to him after the events of the Black Crusade. I'm pretty sure it has been left purposely open-ended to add mystery to his disappearance and the mystery of the loyalist primarchs abscence overall. But that's just the lore by GW. As with all things when it comes to lore, it becomes murky and fluid depending on the time of publication, writer's perspective, biases, and current mood within the game.

I honestly can't wait to see more come from you in the fluff department, and your mini's are really looking great. I might just have to "borrow" the idea for four Sword Brethren myself, but that's a way off ATM.

Indeed.  It's entirely possible that Rogal Dorn is really dead, but, having had the idea that he might still around implanted in his head, I doubt Siegfried will be easily dissuaded.  

I'll admit what fed the idea initially was getting ahold of a pretty cheap IF contemptor dread and those Templar Brethren upgrades.  They just look so cool.  Plus, it will be fun to do some pseudo-Deathwatch style paint jobs with the cross/fist on one shoulder and the "home" chapter on the other.  For Primaris, I'm considering the Sons of the Phoenix for the color variation, though there may be a few too many nods to the Emperor's Children in their name and color scheme for my tastes.

Brothers, after nearly a decade, the first of our humble brethren returns to the Eternal Crusade.

((It's been a long time, and I know this Sword Brother is far from perfect, but it certainly feels nice to rejoin the chapter! This is my first fully painted and based model in many years.))

med_gallery_2986_15309_285602.jpg

med_gallery_2986_15309_16277.jpg

med_gallery_2986_15309_406100.jpg

med_gallery_2986_15309_374011.jpg

Well done. I notice he has the Imperial Fists Legion/Chapter symbol on his left pauldron. Is this a Great Crusade or Horus Heresy-era Sword Brethren?

They are "modern" 40k.  In my head-canon, they have encountered an ancient Imperial Fist dreadnought sarcophagus.  The red gauntlets reflect the Marhsal having participated in the Declates Crusade.

War of the Beast spoiler:

The entombed Imperial Fist was once a Black Templar whose crusade responded to the Last Wall Protocol, but arrived too late to participate in the war.  He and some of his brothers took on the colors of the old legion after the...difficulties with the Beast.

The marshal of the Praetorian Crusade has obtained some ancient VII Legion wargear, and believes that locating the Praetorian of Terra to once and for all enact the Last Wall and reunite the legion is the only way to save the Imperium.  There may also be some icons from other Sons of Dorn making an appearance.  In particular, I'm thinking perhaps Celestial Lions or Astral Knights for my Shadowspear Primaris.  Since those chapters are nearly gone, I think it may make sense for them to both have high numbers of Primaris and be willing to join up with fellow IF successors.  Celestial Lions make a lot of sense from a fluff perspective, but I'm not huge on gold colorschemes.

Edited by Crovan

• 1 year later...

Brothers!  The Praetorian Crusade encountered significant difficulties in making the transit to Imperium Nihilus, but our zeal and faith carried us through!  Warming back up to painting the black, white, and red.  The Intercessor Sword Brother is nearing completion, and I'm working on bases for the Cenobyte Servitors.

IMG 20200503 162050 419

The "original" Emperor's Champion model has so much character! I wish I could get a copy for my Crusade, regardless of how tiny he now appears. It's great to see people still doing the old models justice - they are a venerable slice of history.

Thanks!  I remember when both of these came out, and I agree that the EC is just a classic. 

Yup.

He's been my main man for almost 20 years now.

I don't think I've ever played a game without this model after getting it in my first year in the hobby.

@ brothe christopher. There was one advertised on yhe dutch e bay a couple of months ago.

Decided to give the brushes (and myself) a break and start working on converting some Palanite Enforcers to Neophytes. I'm pretty pleased with how they're coming along, but I'm undecided on the cross on the chest of the middle neo. I almost wish it was either a tiny bit smaller or larger.

gallery_2986_15309_634476.jpg

Id say the cross should stay.

Looks just right to me

Agreed. I don't think you'd want it any bigger, would look cartooney (to me at least). If it were smaller it would have to be a lot smaller and become just a minor detail, but as it is it's perfect - a bold statement.

Maybe the Neophyte's Initiate mentor could have a similar icon... just an idea!

Thanks, brothers!  I slept on it, and I agree that I think it should stay.

Thanks.  It's a real simple kitbash if you want to make them with BP + CCW.  You just need to shave down marine or Tempestus Scion arms. They also have a separate neck piece, because reasons?  I didn't like what that would mean I had to do to make marine heads fit, so I just plopped some green stuff in there. They only come with a couple melee weapons in the kit, and most of the arms are clearly meant to have two-handed guns slot in.

Had been wanting to see how these would look like as neophytes, nice.

Decided to fiddle around with my Marshal's heraldry. I think reflecting the Templar Brethren badge more accurately looks nice. The Fist gauntlet is halved Crimson to indicate his participation in the Declates Crusade. The field and cross are halved, frankly, because it looks more interesting. "Praetor Vult" is an indicator of his quest to find his gene-father and recreate the VIIth legion.

gallery_2986_15309_61069.png

Decided to fiddle around with my Marshal's heraldry. I think reflecting the Templar Brethren badge more accurately looks nice. The Fist gauntlet is halved Crimson to indicate his participation in the Declates Crusade. The field and cross are halved, frankly, because it looks more interesting. "Praetor Vult" is an indicator of his quest to find his gene-father and recreate the VIIth legion.

The heraldry looks good, though I'd personally make the fist a single color. The symbolism in it is excellent. Finding Dorn is a most worthy goal, though Lord Regent Guilliman will surely raise objection to recreating the VII Legion, which will violate the limits he set with the Codex Astartes- though the two Primarchs' psychic presences may awaken the Emperor long enough to let His Immortal Majesty say, "Stop being an idiot, Roboute! Your stubborn insistence in limiting your own loyal brothers' authority, has also limited their ability to fight my enemies, crippled the Imperium we built as a direct consequence!"