Most like IG, but not a horde

dbecer01

So, which army plays the most like Imperial Guard,but is not a horde army. This is In terms of being very flexible, and having lots of options on the battlefield -- like how orders broaden all of the options that you have.

I. One thought was Adeptus Mechanicus, because they are very shooty, and the canticles are almost like orders, although the canticles do lack a movement order, and they can be somewhat random. 

II. Another thought was maybe Aeldar, what with all their psychic powers that can be used to modify basic troops, and they already move very quickly by default. My only reservation about them, is that there are players that think Aeldar are cheesy (I don't blame them, especially with what I saw from wave serpents, and all the negatives to hit the can put on things). Also, I am concerned that I might go a little crazy with guardians -- which would cause the same issue I have with my guardsmen (I think I have OCD when it comes to writing cheap costed lists -- I just love me some troops).

I'm a little sick of laying down 60 troops, heavy weapons squads,  commanders,  and tons of vehicles down, and putting them away every game.

Got to second T'au.

Somehow just seems to fit right with your theme.

Interplay between Fire Warriors, Fireblades, Pathfinders and Ethereals may give you the orders analogue, whilst the suits and vehicles bring the hammer?

T'au offer pretty much everything among unit types (except for bikes and transport flyers) and don't necessarily force you into a horde playstyle (though Firewarriors are pretty strong), however keep in mind that melee is only there for T'au to bind other shooty units not to deal damage and they have literally zero interaction in the psychic phase as they don't have any psychers and no Stratagems or similar to protect them either.

AdMech are very similar in that regard but without transports or actual tanks but they are much better in melee than T'au.

I'd actually say that Eldar are the most similar to AM in that they can do basically everything if you want to.

Deathwatch might be an option. They have very flexible troops units who can be customised to a task either before the battle or during it with the relevant abilities/rules/stratagems. They also have some very effective ammo types for dealing with a wide variety of targets. Plus you definitely won’t have to worry about running a horde as they cost too many points for that.

Kroot Mercs would be a good shout, if such a thing existed.

Failing that, and excluding T'au, Aeldar and Ad Mech, I think the next guess would probably be GSC, but they might be too horde-y.

Kroot would be just as horde-y lol

I just don't like Tau :|

The answer is still Tau.

None of the others are particularly similar.

I disagree. AdMech is about as close to AM as T'au is. Eldar are probably the closest to AM in terms of army configuration if you don't count the horde of Guardsmen which OP doesn't want anyway.

Yeah if you like psykers then Eldar May be more up your alley, but Ad Mech also acts like guard as others said. The canticles are the order mechanic and will give you something to think about tactically every turn.

Dark Eldar is also an option, and you have combat drugs and transports to utilize.

Yeah, I may just get Eldar/Dark Eldar and just forget what other people think...

Yeah if you like psykers then Eldar May be more up your alley, but Ad Mech also acts like guard as others said. The canticles are the order mechanic and will give you something to think about tactically every turn.

Dark Eldar is also an option, and you have combat drugs and transports to utilize.

Imperial guard Astra Militarum tank company: Low model count, models can be used with guard, can deal with various foes depending on turret/hull/sponson weapon choice, tank commanders can deal out orders just like company commanders... :wink::biggrin.:

(Footslogging) T'au and Skitarii would be the most similar to guard, but still have a similarly high model count.

Deathwatch are very versatile and low model count, but as an elite army, would play different than guard. They could ally with guard if needed, so you could slowly replace units in your army list as you aquire stuff.

In a similar vein, GSC would allow the use of Imperial guard Astra Militarum units, but they tend to be even more of a horde than guard.

I can not say much about (Dark) Eldar, but currently they seem to be mostly about the psychic phase, flying units and shenanigans.

I’d like to toss Necrons into the ring, if you’d consider them.

They have some decent HQ-troop interplay (MWBD and Cryptek buffs), durable infantry, and some excellent vehicles.

Let’s also not forget that warriors with AP-1 are a serious treat to anything they get in range of. They’re like more survivable fire warriors, and the number of them that get up over the course of a game equal that of a FRFSRF squad (though if you want volume of fire just go all Tesla immortal with some DDay ark support).

They’re also cheap and easy to paint, so if you decide you don’t like them they aren’t a massive investment at the beginner levels (esp given the amazing deal of the SC box).

Archived