GSC Brigade - A trap?

Looking good! I would swap the patriarch and the Primus. 1st because you get CP back from enemy use on a 5+ with the Nexos and Primus being same cult. 2nd he’s better off supporting the acolytes.

Also why scout sentinels over armoured? They are the same point and with the range on the autocannon I would prefer the 3+ save. You want them stationary anyway

I didn't think about the Nexos. Right now the primus goes wherever the blob of 15 goes, as he needs to get them to-wound rerolls when they ambush. (use stratagem to put them 3inches away, flame everything) Right now the 15 is in rusted claw to help survive return fire.

I am using scout sentinels because I own a lot of them, maybe its time I picked up some AT-STs though

3x battalion requires 9 troop and 6 hq units, netting 15 cp   (+3 for battleforged)

1x  brigade  requires 6 troop and 3 hq units, netting 12 cp   (+3 for battleforged)

brigade only allows 5 hq units max, but the summoning stratagem could be used to bring in the 6th hq.

battalion does not force you to take 3 of FA/HS/elite slot units.

Ergo: you take more troops and a 6th hq and get 3cp, require less other units and since you've got 3 detachments you can take up to 3 of most characters.

Edit: I've tried to make some GSC lists and aside from one brigade, kept taking two battalions.

While 3x barebones Jackals + 3x brood brother mortar HWTs is really cheap for FA/HS tax, I prefer the freedom to bring units from other slots.

Loving the list, Link2e;

Having played Drukhari, I find myself drawn to using different Creeds to buff appropriate units rather than going all-in on one big formation...

I can certainly see the appeal of so many CP, and the list gives us enough effective low-cost units that it makes sense... I just like the difference between my Cog Neophytes and the Claw Acolytes, which I'm starting mostly mounted (1x Goliath, 2 Grinder) with 1x Atalans, 2x Ridgerunners, and their Primus and Magus.

I also want to take more than one magus etc., so multiple detachments are helpful that way! At this point up to ~2k points to me it's worth the -1 or -2 CP just to get +1 armour on Acolytes, with mobile heavies in the Neo skwads for a Keler-bomb.

At ~2200 and beyond, of course the Neos can just become a Battalion all their own ; )

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

After speaking with some tourney players I have made some changes. The biggest one is switching to abberants so they benefit from cult buffs and save me a few points. I moved some HQs mostly to help out the Nexos, Also to get buffs where I need them. I will be giving the brigade a shot tonight against some blood angels. I will post how it goes.

V4

BA guy had to cancel, but I got a pickup game against Dark Angels. He was running a tourney Ravenwing list with bikers, skimmer characters, and flyers. The list was set up to make shooting it difficult. It used Allied Imperial Guard for screens.

During deployment I covered the board with markers, I used the strategem to get 3 extra, then I used "they came from below" to pull units I didn't think would have an impact turn 1. I ended up running Rusted Claw for the Battalion and 4 Armed emperor for the brigade

Turn 1:
It was maelstrom, I got first turn. I shot a hole in his screen and drove the rockgrinder at his bikers. It killed a few bikers with the incinerator. Then charged them. 3 of his bikers detonated themselves in overwatch by dropping 1's on plasma, the rest of the unit was ground up in the rockgrinder's maw.

The rest of my forces turn 1 worked on killing screening units and scoring objectives. He returned fire and killed the rockgrinder, its contents piled out with rocksaws so he devoted even more shots to those. Because he had to pour so much into killing that stuff I really only lost the brood brothers and most of a leeman russ from the rest of his shooting.

Turn 2:
I went into turn two with the following in reserve: Primus, Magus, Iconward, Neophyte blob, Acolyte flamer bois, Abominant, Abberants, 3x Acolyte min units, Kelermorph.
I put the magus in my deployment area (his flyers were nearby) then used cult reinforcements to bring back 6 models from a neophtye blob that had been reduced to a single model (Papa  Patriarch was letting units ignore morale so he kept having to kill every model in the unit) The magus would end up mind controlling one of the flyers to shoot at his skimmer that was shrouding his guys. The flamer guys ambushed his screening units and burned them, the used the "come outside 3inches" stratagem to get there. One went to ground though and survived. The kelermorph ambushed and shot one of his company commanders, killing it and giving an ambushing neophyte blob a shooting bonus. The blob finished off the unit the flamers couldnt, then put 2 mining laser shots into the annoying skimmer, eventually killing it.

When the abberants ambushed they used the perfect ambush stratagem to get closer to his warlord, with the +1 from their cult and the +1 from the clamavus they easily made the charge. Their abominant was so far out of position there was no way he could get to them, so he went after another target and failed his charge. But those abberants got me slay the warlord. I used the 3x Acolyte ambushes to take more objectives.

The rest of the game was him shooting me a bunch, but most of his troops were dead so he was having trouble scoring objectives, and the score was 12 to 3. The store was closing so we called the game on turn 3.

Genestealer cult Victory.

Bonus points: This was his tourney list and he claimed no one had lived past turn 2 against it yet.

Lessons Learned:

1. Genestealer cults REALLY want to kill screens turn 1, they make it really hard to get good ambushes off and force your army to spread out. I am going to switch the sentinels over to scouts sentinels and arm them with flamers.

2. Brigades give you tons of troops. If you don't need them on turn 2, wait till turn 3 to ambush them. If I had ambushed the small units of acolytes turn 3 instead of turn 2 they would have done way more damage.

3. I am not sold on the abominant. He doesn't get many attacks, is expensive, and has trouble keeping up with his abberants (since I will always be using a stratagem to get them in better positions

4. Abberants are pretty durable. They ate most of his shooting turn 2, and only died because I forgot the damage reduction that bestial vigor comes with.

Big fan of the Rock Grinder then? I'm going round and round adding and taking units out of a list because there's so much good stuff. Feels like trying to make a Guard List (always a pleasure) because almost all the units are worth taking.

I'm hampering myself slightly taking a Guard Spearhead detachment with a tank commander, Leman Russ, Basilisk and HWT but it just makes me feel more comfortable having that firepower available. Too much do we think?

Archived