Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Eldar involvement on Terra?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Ovidius Incertus

Ovidius Incertus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,159 posts
  • Faction: Flesh Tearers

I've just started reading Master of Mankind and, while I understand the Webway wasn't build by the Eldar themselves, the apparent location of the Impossible City near what I assume is the Terran and Martian branch of the Webway makes me assume that the Eldar were there at some point.

Is there any lore about the Eldar in the Solar system back in the day?  There's a C'tan on Mars, and the Webway is all up in the Solar system's business, so I'm curious about space elves on Earth, especially when the Big E was not yet the MoM.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpg

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 871 posts
There are webway gates scattered across the galaxy, and we know humanity was tinkered with by alien influences during the War in heaven. There is absolutely nothing unreasonable about a gate being present in our solar system.

Edited by Brother Casman, 20 February 2019 - 05:24 PM.
off topic removed

• Brother Adelard likes this

Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_02.jpg

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,664 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens
Folks - we expect constructive discussion.

=][=
Active Projects: The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.
Finished Projects: Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Getting the "Third Army" on the battlefield

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,638 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

There is a gate located on Terra and Mars

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,487 posts
  • Faction: His Noble Inquisition

There is also one in the Imperial Palace itself. I forget which book this was important in.

"Frak this, for my faith is a shield proof against your blandishments."

-Book of Cain - Chapter IV, Verse XXI

"I think you really need to be a guard player in order to have that kind of attitude about casualties. My forces were killed to a man for slight strategic gain? All I heard was a buzzing noise until that part about strategic gain."

-Ailarian, Hand of the Kind XXXI

http://thisisahelmet.blogspot.com/ - My Sometimes Update Blog

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg gallery_4664_11830_5080.jpg sml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_48988_10980_7442.png

Grand Master Laertes

Grand Master Laertes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 528 posts
  • Faction: Betrayers of Pain
And there is also a gate on Luna, according to the Rise of the Primarch book

Ovidius Incertus

Ovidius Incertus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,159 posts
  • Faction: Flesh Tearers

I'm aware that there are gates in those locations.  I thought my post indicated that. 

I'm interested in any lore specific to the Eldar in the Solar system, not the Webway itself.

I've listened to Carrion Throne and, I think, The Emperor's Legion.  Whichever one has a scene on Luna when G-man actually arrives via the Webway.  I don't recall anything in that novel about the Eldar having used it in the past, although I think Carrion Throne insinuates that the Deldar know all about Terra, i.e. that's why the haemonculus in the novel struck a bargain with the =][= .  I haven't read any of the Gathering Storm books about G-man and the Templars actually going into the Webway, though.  Is there some discussion with the Ynnari forces they allied with in those novels?

Edited by Ovidius Incertus, 20 February 2019 - 06:24 PM.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpg

MARK0SIAN

MARK0SIAN

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,106 posts
The Eldar word for humans ‘Mon-Keigh’ (may have the spelling wrong) is derived from the simian ancestors of humans, indicating Eldar visited earth way before humans had even evolved.

It’s even mentioned in a book (possibly the forged of mars trilogy but I can’t be absolutely sure about that) so the precedent is there.

Grand Master Laertes

Grand Master Laertes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 528 posts
  • Faction: Betrayers of Pain
If I am not mistaken, in the Beast Arises series we see an eldar ambassador appear inside the Imperial Palace via the webway

Brother Adelard

Brother Adelard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,146 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
The Terra gate is opened by Eldrad Ulthran in one of the TBA books. (I forget the name, but he's on the cover conveniently) unlocking it kills a lot of the Elder psykers as the seals are pretty hardcore, also IIRC, only the Harlequins knew how to get to it.

Markosian, your spelling is correct, and I can't believe I never made the link between Mon Keigh and Monkey before. But it begs a causative question. If all the 'humans' were still monkeys at the time the Eldar met them, how could the words cross over?

O787td6.jpggallery_38474_6916_6036.jpg

Slasher956

Slasher956

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 823 posts
  • Faction: OoOML, Ulthwé
Mon-Keigh were a different primitive race who due to berligerance the eldar wiped out. When the eldar first meet humans they where reminded of the mon-keigh and just named them such...source 3rd Ed Eldar Codex
  • Iron Father Ferrum and Brother Adelard like this

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,696 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Mon-Keigh were a different primitive race who due to berligerance the eldar wiped out. When the eldar first meet humans they where reminded of the mon-keigh and just named them such...source 3rd Ed Eldar Codex

Yeah, the similarity to the english word monkey is just part of 40k's tongue in cheek side.

Humans didn't evolve from monkeys, humans are still in the simian (aka 'monkey but in latin because science') subgroup we snobbishly call apes and most contemporary species of monkey evolved after the first hominids.

Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,152 posts
  • Faction: Spacewolves

The Eldar word for humans ‘Mon-Keigh’ (may have the spelling wrong) is derived from the simian ancestors of humans, indicating Eldar visited earth way before humans had even evolved.

It’s even mentioned in a book (possibly the forged of mars trilogy but I can’t be absolutely sure about that) so the precedent is there.

the Eldar call every Alien Mon-Keigh, its a general insult thingy they use.

There are no Deamons in 40k

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,254 posts
The origin of the Webway gate on Terra (or at least, the one the Emperor used) is interesting. The Gate described in Master of Mankind doesn't sound like an Eldar webway gate. The Imperium is familiar enough with Eldar tech to recognise Wraithbone and it doesn't sound like the gate is made from that.

This leaves 2 other options. It could be an original gate left behind by the Old Ones. Or it could be a Necron Dolmen Gate. This option actually sounds the most plausible since the Necrons used a brute-force approach to breach the Webway since they could not fathom the underlying principles of the webway as they had no psykers themselves. This would explain why the Terran branch of the webway needs to be held open technologically with the Emperor acting as a battery to prevent daemonic incursion. The Golden Throne was not connected to a proper branch of the webway but punched a hole into it which the Emperor needed to maintain the integrity of.
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

Iron Father Ferrum

Iron Father Ferrum

++ INTERFECTOR PRODITORES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,084 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands
My understanding was that the Terran gate is a construction of the Emperor and the Mechanicus. When they're passing through the gate and then along the passage, the "terrain" is different to the Eldar/Old One-original webway thry connect to.
  • Marshal Rohr likes this
Posted Image

+Corruption of Purpose: Heretic Astartes+
+The Blade Unsheathed: Asuryani+

+AO+ Currently seeking a PhotoShopper to make me a Chaos banner for this signature. +OA+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users