Hi Everyone. I’m Givemead. I’ve been lurking, off and on, on here for a while, but I’ve finally got around to setting up an account and starting my own log.
For those of you who are interested here is a bit about my hobby history:
I want to have a real go at tackling my Death Guard, especially as I got the Infection Cluster battleforce at Christmas (not to mention the backlog). There may be other chaos stuff thrown in at some point just for good measure.
First up a pic of the last good sized chunk of chaos models I painted, circa 2012/13; a Hellbrute and cultists, some plague marines and Warp Talons. Also some daemons; plaguebearers (the last metal ones), some screamers and plague drones (with riders converted from the metal plaguebearers).
This next pic is the Death Guard from the first pic. They are mostly based on the old metal plague marine models that I think are about 17 years old now. One of the plasma gunners is from the slightly later havocs set, which was probably circa 2004. The icon bearer is built from plastic CSM bits plus some goodies that I had in my bits box.
I'm not sure I want to do the new Death Guard the same way, not least of all because I remember the paint scheme I went with on these old ones was quite a lot of work, but I’ll expand on my thoughts later.
Some more recently painted stuff now, from last year; an additional 3 plague drones, giving me 7 in total:
These plague drones aren’t based yet (basing is something I want to explore a bit and get some feedback on).
As mentioned above I have quite a few of the most recent Death Guard models, but I also have more old metal ones. Something that was bothering me when thinking about how I would tackle the old metal guys was that there has been a marked increase in size with the new models compared with previous versions. They are great models with masses of detail, but they're big. I thought about this quite a bit and decided that the main problem was that their legs are rather short and weedy in comparison with the new models but their torsos and heads are not so bad. I decided to saw the legs off the metal models and use Mk3 armour the metal torsos. I’ve got some of the metal havoc torsos and have used the Mk3 legs for them as well. This gave me the opportunity to boost the height more by putting filler in between the legs and torso. They are now much the same sort of height as the new ones:
The hybrids may not have quite the same bulk as the new models but they will blend in much more now. It has been quite a bit of work but quite satisfying. I am now at the stage where I have 17 hybrids (including 3 FW resin torsos (how I came to have these I don’t know)). Here are some of them:
The next problem to tackle is the bulk of the old models for which I think I will just use some plasticard at the shoulders and use arms and shoulder pads from the new multi part marines. I’ll also need to do so creative gap hiding around the waist area, but I’m sure my bits box is up to the task.
In my next post I’ll show you where I’d got to with my poxwalkers.
Edited by Givemead, 22 February 2019 - 05:21 PM.