Chaos by Givemead - Death Guard, Poxwalkers

Givemead

Your Chaos Lord looks promising.

Thanks very much Bjorn.  I have some more progress on him to show, but first the cultists:

SaXhDQW.jpg?1

I have finished all the blocking in of colours with gold added to the champion and his face and mask painted.  I've gone over the various branding marks with Bugman's Glow and Pink Horror for the light skin tone and Calthan Brown and Pink Horror for the dark skin tone.  I think at this point they are ready for the washes, but I will give them a check over before doing that.

The Chaos Lord:

usjxNfQ.jpg?1

He has had his claws done and the grey-red panels of the armour.  I've also just about finished the base.  I think the cracked earth needs a wash to blend it with the rest of the base and the rim needs another coat of Steel Legion Drab.

Edited by Givemead

Those poxwalkers have come out fantastically well.

I'm also converting a Foul Blightspawn and love that Festus model so much I have him but haven't been able to jam him into my Deathguard yet. So I'm very interested to see how you do with these 2 conversions. They look really promising so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Kolgrim Deathhowl and Krakendoomcool  - Thanks very much to you both.  I'm a bit stuck with the Festus blightspawn for what to do for his gun at the moment.

Major update time

I am calling the chaos cultists and the jump lord done.  The pics -

i307LC0.jpg?1

WmWWdDM.jpg?1

The final stage for these guys was a Seraphim Sepia wash followed by an Agrax Earthshade wash all over.  The bases will get another go with Steel Legion Drab on the edges and a bit of drybrush action before I'm totally happy with them but that will be after I've done the poxwalkers.

Ch4LrNF.jpg?1

Its just bits and pieces that I've finished for the jump lord - the chaos star and eye of Horus on the shoulders and other bits of red on the chest and belt.  I did his loincloth in Warlock Purple, highlighted with Pink Horror with a Ball Red wash to tone it together.  This is the part that I'm least happy with so it's probably just as well it is reasonably well hidden.  I ended up doing the top of his helmet in the grey/red the same as the armour panels.  I know the GW colour scheme has him with a bare head but I thought that would distract from his face.

Now I have just over 4 weeks for the poxwalkers to complete my Call of Chaos vow!

Edited by Givemead

• 2 weeks later...

They turned out really great! The model with the claws is really neat looking too.

Thank you very much Kolgrim.

I have a bit of progress on the poxwalkers for you.

7Yfb0d6.jpg?1

I know they are still looking very yellow, but believe it or not they are almost done from base colours.  A bit more edge highlighting to do on the orange cloth, some checking over for missed bits and they will be ready for the washes.  I have in the past done metals before doing the washes, but I did the first set of walkers with Boltgun Metal after the washes s I'm going to stick with that order for these guys.

Once the painting is finished I'll base them up and finish the basing of the first set along with the chaos cultists.

I've also started thinking about what comes next.

EUS7TOR.jpg?1

I need to figure out my paint scheme for the deathguard.  These two old guys have been primed as testers.  The one on the right is a light white spray on metal s looks a bit grey.  The other is first primed with Daemonic Yellow (Army Painter spray, something similar to GW Flash Gitz) then a zenith spray with white.

I'm going to play around with some of the Contrast paints to see what I can come up with.  I think a yellowy green as the main colour with darker/rusty trim, but we'll see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, painting on the poxwalkers is finished.  Just need to get them based up over the weekend.

YmNx6MD.jpg?1

I'm very pleased with how they turned out.  Together with the first batch that I did earlier in the year this will be quite a mass.  I haven't painted this many models in a shot period for quite a few years.

Next up will be a bit of experimentation with the old metal plague marines and some contrast paints.  I've also been working on building Feotid Bloat-drones.  I have a couple of the multi-part kits and several (4?) of the Dark Imperium easy to build version so I'm working out how to make the best use of all the spare bits.

The second batch of poxwalkers is now based up, so I think i will be calling them finished, in terms of the Call of Chaos vow.

2tnN4BG.jpg?1

The basing needs finishing off.  Another pass over with Stormvermin Fur before a drybrush of Steel Legion Drab and Karak Stone and the edges done in Steel Legion Drab.

Here they are with the first batch (which have had the edges of their bases painted) just to prove that I have painted all 32 of them and not just recycled pics of the first batch:wink:

rR0TnA2.jpg?1

I want to play around with doing some Nurgle goop on the bases.  I think straight Nurgle's Rot would be to much so I'm thinking Typhus Corrosion to darken it down.

Thanks very much Kolgrim.

Group photo time!

su9e0BO.jpg?1

The 3 units I've painted for Call of Chaos all together.  Overall quite pleased with how they came out.  If I'm being critical I think I needed to take a bit more time over the jump lord and probably should have gone for a darker red colour on the details on his shoulder pads and chest.

This may well be my last post before Christmas.  If it is have a good one and I'll see you on the other side.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the purple one (champion right?)!! But they all look wonderful is a chaotic type of way!

Thanks very much Kolgrim.  The Purple One, which is how I think I will refer to him from now on :wink:, is the Haarken model with his left arm swapped for a lightening claw from the Raptors/ Warp Talons set.  I painted a group of 6 Warp Talons in much the same way a few years back, so he will go with them.

Seeing the 12 Months of Hobby thread go up for 2020 and the world and his dog doing hobby goals for the next year has sucked me in.  After thinking about what I managed last year and what is realistic I have come up with a few goals/ challenges for the year ahead:

1.  Paint more models than I buy new ones - this was an obvious one, but could be hard.

2.  Modify, convert or kit-bash every model - I was reading a thread recently (sorry, can't remember whose) where they were saying that compared with 20-30 years ago when all models were made of metal it is now amazingly easy to convert models.  Having started my hobby journey in the late 80s I feel the same.

3.  Take opportunities to do hobby stuff - this one is a bit vague I know, but is really just about wanting to be a bit more spontaneous.

To get a good start on these goals I am going to sign up to the 12 Months of Hobby  Challenge.

BHA580L.jpg?1

These guys are the start of another chaos cultist unit.  They will be made up of mostly the traitor guard models from the Black Fortress Servants of the Abyss box (the 2 on the right).  The 2 on the left are just plain chaos cultists that look similar to the guardsmen.  The centre guy will be a champion/leader, who is a combination of the rogue psyker and the legs from the Imperial Guard vehicle sprue with the bulldozer on it.  I haven't decided on a head yet, but I've got a couple of pieces in mind.

Thanks for looking in.  Hope you have a great hobby year.

I decided that the leader of the new chaos cultists unit needed some foot surgery.

X5Ld9e8.jpg?1

I cut his left foot off at the top of the boot and turned it turned it by about 30 degrees.  I think this looks better and I'm glad I did it.  Also attached the auto pistol hand to the left arm.  This is the one from the cultist on the left.  Finally new in the picture is what is meant to be the sergeant from the Servants of the Abyss set.  He will be just another cultist and has had his trophy rack cut off, a spike on his chest shortened and his chainsword swapped out for a ball and chain flail from the Cawdor gang.  Really glad I got the Cawdor gang as its got lots of nice bits for chaos cultist types.

Also the first of my 2020 goals isn't starting out to well with the arrival of this guy.

PtxRoWC.jpg?1

Although in my defence he is only 1 model and the goal is only about the number of models :wink:.  I guess he better be a Plodding Along Vow for the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge.

I've got the second half of the new cultists unit assembled.

OGXOc25.jpg?1

I haven't done much to these guys, just cut down or removed some of the spikes/ blades on the armour.  This will be my next vow for the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge.  I may have to swap one of them into the first half as still haven't decided on a head for the leader.

In other news I'm making good progress on assembling all of my bloat drones so they may be the first of the Death Guard proper that I end up painting.

I've been working on the bases of the Poxwalkers while I wait for a bitz order (with a head for the leader of my new cultist unit).  I finished the edges this morning, so here they are -

j0cWXGL.jpg?1

Really pleased with the models themselves, although I think I'm done with Poxwalkers for a good while.  Not so happy with the bases.  The mix of Nurgle's Rot and Typhus Corrosion that I have used for the goop on the bases is the colour I was going for but isn't goopy enough.  I will return to the bases once I have a new plan for goop.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just about there with the base colours for the first half of the cultists.

bA6gT7z.jpg?1

Just a few more bits such as helmets to do and a few touch ups before washes.  I decided to go with a selection of browns used fairly uniformly across them all so that they seem like traitor guardsmen, rather that a bunch of civilians.

I've prepped the chaos marine from the Servants of the Abyss box.

ImZu0iS.jpg?1

I'm going to test out the method for Word Bearers that was in a recent GW video that uses contrast paints over Leadbelcher.  The method looked cool and pretty quick to do.  If it works out I'll dig out the marines from Betrayal at Calth and do a bunch of them.

They are done!

lotm80G.jpg?1

The washes make all the difference.  I'll do the bases during the week if I can, but these guys are finished enough for the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge.

Talking of bases I've been looking over my Daemons and most of the rank and file need their bases finishing.  For example there are 32 plaguebearers with unfinished bases.  Even those that are could benefit from some attention.  Looks like I've got a project brewing.

Looking good so far!!

Thanks Kolgrim.

I've done the bases so these guys are properly finished now.

0I8JorE.jpg?1

I think I'll be able to get the next five done quicker as I've figured out the order to do the different parts of them.  Just need to undercoat the champion.

I've also been working on preparing a Finecast Dark Apostle.  Its taking a bit of work so I don't know whether he'll be ready for me to paint in February.

I'm ready to make a new vow in the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge -

xJeDQi6.jpg?1

These guys are the remainder of the traitor guard from the Servants of the Abyss box and the rogue psyker that I've converted with the legs from the Imperial Guard vehicle accessory sprue.  His head is from the Cadian command squad (which I think looks like Vinnie Jones) and his auto pistol is from a chaos cultist.  The others have had minor adjustments to spikes etc, although the sergeant (second from left) has had a bit more chopped off than the others.

It was only a matter of time before the hobby butterfly in me would get distracted...

QFp2EfM.jpg?1

I've been messing about with spare bits from the Bloat drone and the Pusgoyle Blightlords (a random name generator classic) and came up with this nurgle lord discordant.  Obviously very early WIP, but I think it has promise.  Honestly still messing about with him at this stage.

zTm2MIJ.jpg?1

Can't decide whether to give it legs and if so how, or to go with the wings from the pusgoyle which could look mechanical if painted in metalics.  Also I feel it should be bigger - the oval base is the size for the GW lord discordant model so it could do with filling that a bit more?  I'll need to sort a counts as bale flamer, which I was thinking a spare plague spitter from the bloat drone.

Any comments or suggestions very welcome.

Edited by Givemead

• 2 weeks later...

Painting of the second half of the traitor guardsmen is finished

pesL2wC.jpg?1

I'll do the bases over the weekend. Quite pleased with these guys as I feel like I didn't spend a lot of time on them. Having done the first 5 in January I sorted the order of which bits to paint so that I wasn't going back to touch up as much as last month.

Next up will be the start of the other Blackstone fortress booster box to come out with the chaos cultists.

BZ6TCPD.jpg?1

I'll be leaving the big flamer dude for something else. I've got some more of the cultists so I can have a unit of 10, which gives me some scope to do head and weapon swaps so I don't have any doubles. These three though are just stock from the box, which I'm not so happy about, but at least I managed to spray them this morning before the weather got bad.