Chaos by Givemead - Death Guard, Poxwalkers

Givemead

The Flesh Hounds are well-painted.

Thanks buddy!

They are finished!

8upGz9t.jpg?1

I'm so pleased with my Khorne doggies as I think they have turned out really well. The collars were quite easy in the end, but I'm glad I painted the base Stormvermin Fur before doing all the Contrast colours as it was dead fiddly even just neatening up. I would have left the heads off if I'd thought about it before hand, although for several of the heads you glue them together around the tongue. I did a patchy coat of Retributor Armour covering most of the metal but missing recesses. Then I did the thinnest highlights of Stormhost Silver I could manage. The final step was a coat of Aggaros Dunes.

As I said before I'll move onto paint Karanak now and then base all of them at the same time. I've got Monday off work so I should manage to finish him by the end of the month.

Edited by Givemead

I've finished Karanak.

dUT824u.jpg?1

Q4YcrVA.jpg?1

Really pleased with him, particularly the ruffs around the heads and the flaming pile of skulls.  I'll base him and the Fleshhounds and then do some more pics of them all together.

"Good boi! And so well painted you are! Yes, goood boi!" *Pets all three heads* :tongue.:

"I wouldn't get too close, he has been know to go for people."  Thanks very much buddy.

I've got some pics of them all based up now.  Just the Fleshhounds first.

zZUm9Qk.jpg?1

And all together.

uRgWLr8.jpg?1

I took some more pics of Karanak as well.

tfiJg60.jpg?1

62XGcPW.jpg?1

wlcX87s.jpg?1

Turns out having three heads means you're rather difficult to photograph!  Who knew?

In the end I did have fun painting these Khorne doggies, but I was a little apprehensive about getting the transition from orange to red.  I'm glad I did the Bloodletters as practice and also doing the Fleshhounds first help when it came to doing Karanak.

I'm not sure what I'll tackle next at the moment.  I've got the Betrayal at Calth box out and have been cleaning up the heroes and the contemptor, but I want to modify them a little before I paint them.  I want to do the whole box as Word Bearers and I want them to be quite close to Imperial marines, so I'll be going for subtle changes.

I've also made a start on the first Bloat-drone.  I do want to try one last thing before I'm set on how I want to do the armour panels.  I feel that once I have that decided I could finish all six of the drones if fairly short order.

I previously showed the test Word Bearers marine I did with the plan of tackling the contents of Betrayal at Calth.  My fiddling about with Heresy era marines has finally got to a point where I feel it is worth showing.  Here is the captain in mark IV armour.

Z2l8dZC.jpg

oXhNdwL.jpg

I've swapped his mace thing into his left hand and given him a bolt pistol in the other.  This is quite a simple change on the face of it but was quite difficult because of the wrist guard that is part of the fore-arm armour of the MkIV.

I'm thinking that I'm going to say he is a Dark Apostle so he needs that weapons load out.  Plus it also gives me some great modelling opportunities for a couple of dark disciples, which I have some ideas for already.  With this in mind I think the head is going to change.  I want a shouty head, but I'm not sure which to go for.  Any ideas folks?

I have also been cleaning up the cataphractii terminators, which will probably be my next models for painting.  In the mean time I have got some of my old daemons out as I want to  finish the bases on them.  For some reason when I painted them some 12 years ago I didn't do finish many of the bases on them.  I'm starting with a modest 10 Plaguebearers, but there's plenty more to come.  I may also manage to do the bases for the 3 Plague Drones that I paints a couple of years ago (early in this log).

Here are the first 10 Plaguebearers with finished bases.

cCvx0VY.jpg?1

I'm very pleased with these and to finally have them based properly.  I don't remember exactly when I first painted them, but it was about 10 to 13 years ago.  I think the paint job on them is still pretty good, although the washes with Devlan Mud and Gyphon Sepia as they were then were, in some cases way too heavy.  I think Devlan Mud must have been darker than Aggrax Earthshade ro browner?

I knocked these out pretty quickly so I'm going to tackle the rest of the Plaguebearers that don't have finished bases, which is 22.  I'll break them into 2 groups to keep it manageable.

I'm still looking for a head for my MkIV armoured Dark Apostle.  I want something that I can either get from a bits site or is part of a kit that will give lots of other conversion material.

Excellent work on the Chaos Marine. Is he a former World Eater who chose to defect to the Black Legion? From another warband, maybe one pledged to Khorne?

Thanks Bjorn Firewalker. I didn't say in that post but he is meant to be a Word Bearer. I didn't do his shoulder pads black as GW did in their demo -
. I plan to do a unit of marines in mark IV armour that I've had for ages.

I have a couple of WIP pics to show off today.

mZiLakQ.jpg?1

The Flesh hounds are coming along. I was really not feeling these for a while, but having done the teeth and claws they are looking much better. I think its just the collars to do now for the painting. I'll be picking up Karanak after these and then will do the basing all at the same time.

The other WIP pic is the start of one of my Bloat-drone.

sJgAcnW.jpg?1

I started out by spraying it black and then doing a selective spray of white trying to keep to the armour panels, flesh and from the top. Then I did Typhus Corrosion over all the 'metal' bits. Over the top of that I did a coat of Gryph-Hound Orange. I think this gives a really good rusted metal look. I will try a little bit of Boltgun Metal on edges and bits where the rust might be wore away. I still haven't completely worked out how I will do the armour panels, but I feel like I've got a good start here.

I learned a lot of new stuff from 2 YouTuber named Night Shift and Marco Frisoni

chipping tutorial from night shift

Chipping, rust and distressed metal by Marco

Here's a blight drone and hauler I made using their techniques. I'm becoming a real fan of using oil based weathering paints thanks to them

gJ0ainW.jpg

Edited by Debauchery101

Wow, thanks very much guys.  I'm glad you like what you see.

@Debauchery101 - Those videos are cool.  I've done sponge chipping before on my Tau and really liked it.  I'll definitely have to try in on the test pieces for the Death Guard.

I've finished the bases on the second set of Plaguebearers.

qiEgDru.jpg?1

I love the one with the big bell.  Very pleased with that conversion - a head swap and the sword swapped for the bell from the Corpse Cart.

I've also finished prep on the Dark Apostle.  No changes to the model from the last pic other than a new head from the Mark III armour set.

cogv2rf.jpg?1

I've got an order in for the first of the dark disciples and I've got an idea for another, but I won't reveal until later.

Suitably scream-y :happy.: .

Yeah, I think so.  Thanks mate.

I've finished the bases on the last group of 11 Plaguebearers.

O0TLSHt.jpg?1

It's great to have all my 43 metal Plaguebearers properly based.

cQo4mj5.jpg?1

I have got a couple more of these metal ones that are not painted.  I have more daemons to base, but I'm going to do some proper painting next and do the Dark Apostle.

A few days ago I hinted that I had got something planned for a couple of Dark Disciples to go with the Dark Apostle.  I'd been thinking about how the Word Bearers I have planned are somewhat 30K as they will for the most part be in Mark IV armour and not overtly chaos-ified.  I've also been thinking about how a lot of the Horus Heresy novels are set in and around fleets of spaceships (at least those that I've read).  Somehow the two things gave me the inspiration for a couple of ways to make this into a proper little army of its own.  The first is to base the models on Sector Mechanicus bases to give the idea of being on a spaceship in the grim dark world of 40K.  The second is to use the Astra Militarum Regimental Advisors as Dark Disciples.  Specifically these two:

Wtzm3nM.jpg?1

Apologies for the photo.  I'd forgotten how hopeless it is to try to get good pictures of bare metal models.  The one on the right is the Officer of the Fleet, who seems completely appropriate.  The other is the Astropath.  I've shaved off the eye symbol from the icon thing he's holding and added a candle from the Cawdor kit.  I think this works nicely in a Word Bearers context to convey a sinister but not necessarily chaos feel.  I must say these are appropriately scaled - those are 25mm bases they are standing on.

I've got some of the base colours down on the 2 Dark Disciples, but I'm not really feeling in the painting mood so I've done a bit more on the Nurgle drone rider.

mAo8e0r.jpg?11E8BUBC.jpg?1

As I intend to count this guy as an Arch Lord Discordant I wanted to come up with something for the Bale Flamer.  These are the two options I've come up with it so far.  This is just tacked together to try things out.  Bits are the little mechanical arms from the Bloat Drone kit (with the blades cut off) and the flamer bits are from the Dark Eldar Talos.  Basically I can't decide whether they should be up or down.  I think I may have to wait until I've got much more of the rest of the model figured out.  Whichever way round they go I intend on replacing the rather Eldar looking nozzles with the ones from plagues spitters for a more Nurgle feel, as well as some pipes/cables.

I've also done a little on the dangling cables/pipes.

g7ynjBD.jpg?1

I had 2 sets of these left over from building my drones.  I couldn't figure out how to splice the sets together so I've added a couple of bits to from one to the other.  This gives a slightly different look to the drones, but it's subtle I know.  You can also just about see where I've started to add plasticard (near the top) to join the drone 'face' to the body of the pusgoyle fly.

Edited by Givemead

I've made some good progress on the drone rider.

OgizE2R.jpg?1

The 'face' is now attached to the body and the rail bit from the Bloat Drone is also glued on.  The most recent addition is plasticard between the front panel and the segments of the body.  I fiddled about with some paper to get a general shape as a template for the plasticard.  I then fine-tuned the shape.  Once I was happpy with it I flipped it over and cut a mirror image for the other side.  They are just tacked in place for the moment to get a feel for how it is all coming together.

I think the next think I wanted to do is decide what to do with the back end...

I feel like I haven't posted any painted stuff for a while so here is an update on the two Dark Disciples.

NxLUqDo.jpg?1

I'm quite pleased with the Officer of the Fleet.  The paint job looks a little ropy, but I would point out that this is quite a small model!

I'm a bit stuck on what colour to go for on the pouches and the holster.  I'm thinking the same as his boots, but maybe not.

eUYFLHx.jpg?1

Very pleased with the Astropath.  I think the candle icon thing has come out well.  The highlighting of his robes is quite subtle currently, and I will try a very fine selective highlight.  The question here is what colour to do the aquilla and rope around his waist.

I've also done the bases for both of these guy, but no pictures for now.

They are finished!

5GFBnbH.jpg

EWDtUS0.jpg

E2mAnm0.jpg

HxXHsZP.jpg

I'm really pleased with how these two turned out.  I found them quite a challenge as the minis are quite small and the details are tiny.  Also pleased with the last minute addition of hazard stripes to the bases.

Next will be their boss, the Dark Apostle.

As a quick thing before the end of the month I've finished off the bases on some nurglings.

iKiaJGR.jpg?1

I love these little guys. Actually I really like all the old metal Nurgle daemons.  The main exception is the plastic Great Unclean One is great and an improvement on the last metal version.

Talking of the Great Unclean One, I'm thinking I may try starting to put mine together.

So far for June I have mostly been putting together this guy -

tkIsVUC.jpg?1

I've decided I'm not going to use the alternate head, but I will be magnetising the other heads and all the arm options.

Next up on the painting bench is the Dark Apostle.

m2Rh0SR.jpg

I think I've got the colour placement worked out, but I'm not sure how light to go with the inside of his cloak.

To follow on from him I've got the Contemptor dread and the Cataphractii terminators from Betrayal at Calth under construction.  I will aim to do both this month

Edited by Givemead

• 2 weeks later...

The Dark Apostle is on hold while I sort out how I'm going to do the turquoise for inside his cloak.

While I've been figuring that out I have painted up the Contemptor dread from Betrayal at Calth.

23SIcJl.jpg?1

It's just about finished.  I was a bit concerned the Contrast method wouldn't work that well with it being quite a large model, well larger than a standard marine, but it has worked out well.  I decided to have some fun with transfers, which has worked nicely.  There are a bunch of black ones on the sheet that look like they are meant for he dread, but I decided they wouldn't show up on the armour panels with the red being so dark.

The only things left are to decide how adventurous I want to be with text on the purity seals, scroll and on the small banner that is going to be added hanging from the torso to hang down in front and the base.  The base is going to be one of the sector mechanicus ones, to give a spaceship look.  I'm just adding some hazard stripes.

Edited by Givemead

The Contemptor is finished!

5ou8SUy.jpg?1

XqRQnjd.jpg?1

As you can see the arms are magnetised, which was worth doing.  Keeps the magnetising skills up to scratch.

I still haven't sorted the cloak colour for my Dark Apostle so I think I may finish putting together the Cataphractii terminators from Betrayal at Calth and paint them.

I got these through the post today.

SdQUdB8.jpg?1

Bile is a great model and is a really good update of a classic.

I was slightly disappointed to find that there weren't many converted models featured in the book for the Creations of Bile, just one chaos lord made from the sorcerer model that came out a while ago.

My main disappointment though was with the box of mark IV armour marines.  In the box was a transfer sheet for the Ultramarines, not the Betrayal at Calth sheet that includes Word Bearer symbols.  I had thought this was a cunning plan, because the Betrayal at Calth transfer sheet only has enough shoulder markings for 20 marines, which isn't enough to do the whole of Betrayal at Calth as one legion.  I thought that if I got another 10 of the mark IV boys then I would get another transfer sheet and have enough shoulder markings for all of them.

Anyway, the new rules for Bile and his creations got me rooting about in my Pile of Shame/Opportunity to find these boys.

KZYxVjl.jpg?1

These were part of an Ebay rescue that I got many years ago, that turned out to be so awful that I did nothing with most of it.  I think I was in the hobby at the time of their release, but I don't remember them coming out.  Even now I don't know if I will do anything with them.  Instead I may convert some minions for Bile out of Dark Imperium primaris marines, but we'll see.  Hopefully I will actually paint Bile and his little friend and they won't join the pile.

Edited by Givemead

I'm making good progress with the Word Bearers Cataphractii terminators. I've finished the bottom 'half' of all five now.

7vbbwU5.jpg

I added he text to armour panels yesterday with transfers from the Betrayal at Calth sheet. I finished them up this morning with a quick coat of Skeleton Horde over the white text to give it an aged look.

I'm well on the way with the upper body and arms sub assembly as well. The bases are just about there too. I think I'm in good shape for finishing these before the end of the month.

I won't finish my Dark Apostle though. I have got some paint to be able to do the turquoise on the inside of the cloak, but there is too much else to do to be able to finish in June.

Loads of really cool stuff here. You should be proud of what you’ve achieved so far.

I particularly like the effort you put into having a big cultist horde of unique models.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Thanks very much Brother Dallo.  I do like cultists, it's true, and I think that even with different colours used the same model is quite noticeable. Plus I got into the hobby about 30 years ago when pretty much all models were metal and converting was hard work.  Converting these days is easy in comparison in terms of the practical cutting and gluing.

More progress.

Jubx7uF.jpg?1

The bases are done so I think I can quite legitimately say the bottom half of these guys are done.  All the main colours are done on the torsos as well so it's into details and touch ups now.

I have to say I'm not 100% sure about the bases edges in Mechanicus Standard Grey.  I'll carry on with it for the time being but I may look at something different.