Chaos by Givemead - Death Guard, Poxwalkers

Givemead

Excellent work on the Terminators.

Thanks very much Bjorn.

I've got a couple of additional pictures of the termies.

qegFjZf.jpg

JA1Dbbs.jpg

These show the text I added to the leg armour.  This was done with the transfers from the sheet that comes in the Betrayal at Calth.  The sheet has some fair sized blocks of text that are more suited to larger models, but I cut each one into small sections. The white text a bit stark on the dark red so I was washed with Skeleton Horde to give it an aged look.

I might return to these at some point if i can get hold of some suitable daemon skull type transfers to add to their little shields.  I've checked all the sheets of transfers I've got but none are suitable, either too large or not daemonie enough.

I've been searching my many boxes of models for a couple of half finished Helbrute conversions.  Thinking about it they are so old that they should probably be thought of as chaos dreadnought conversions I started them that long ago.  Anyway I didn't find them (moving house twice will do that), but I did find a bunch of metal Raptors.  I decided that it would be nice to sort them out and paint some of them up.

CvzT3OY.jpg?1

This is just the start, but the others need some work as they were Ebay saves that were poorly painted but cheap!

Oh those old raptors are a real treasure.

There really is something to them- something the new ones are lacking.

Sadly I never got around to buying some when they were still around.

Thanks, I know!  How could I not paint them after finding them?

I have some early WIP for you on the Raptors.

Yp87jgc.jpg?1

I got inspired by the old 'Blood Disciples' raptors in the 2007 codex.  This is done in a similar way to the Word Bearers I've been painting, but is Guilliman Flesh over Leadbelcher, rather than Fleshtearers Red.  I think I might give it another coat but it is definitely the right colour.  It's slightly more red in real life.  I think I'll do the jump packs first and then work on the bodies.

Edited by Givemead

Not a huge amount of progress this week on the raptors but I have got the jump packs finished (at least for now).

xOLwSYv.jpg?1

I'm working on the bodies now.  I'm not sure whether I want to stick to the 2007 Codex colour scheme for the Blood Disciples or vary it a little.  They have some sections of black armour as well as black cloth parts, but I think I will stick with the copper metal colour.

I'm also wondering if I should do the same blue as I used on my Warp Talons on the lightening claws of the champion.  My feeling right now is that this will look out of place unless I find someway of introducing blue onto the other models.  That won't be a problem for the plasma pistol guy but I'm not sure how I would do it on the others.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just about finished with the raptors.

thYIWiS.jpg?1

It's just the bases to finish now.

Overall I'm very pleased with them.  I think my version of the Blood Disciples colour scheme works well.  The flame flying stands took longer than I had hoped for, but they work well with the same colours used for the eyes.

I'm not sure I'll finish the bases of these guys and my Dark Apostle before the end of the month so I may get some more daemons out to base while I finish the raptors.  I still have some Bloodletters and the three Plague drones that I painted about 2 years ago to base.  The Plague drones may be difficult as I was planning something special for their flying stands.  However, it may not work with the other basing for my daemons.

These are looking great. The limited colour palette really ties them together.

Thanks Valkia.  I think that was a happy accident rather than a really conscious decision, but yeah I think they've come out really well.

They are finished!

pSKimca.jpg?1

Really glad these are on 32mm bases.  Being metal they were possibly the best example of a miniature that really needs a bigger base.

iLJQ6Ac.jpg?1

YZZvvbW.jpg?1

I have a few more of these that I will see if I can't do in August.

I'm not going to get my Dark Apostle do this month.  There is definitely more than 2 days worth to do on him.  To fill up the last few days of the month I'll base up the rest of my first Bloodletters, originally painted back in something like 2008.  There's 9 of them that need their bases finishing.  I've noticed that Bloodletters are supplied with 32mm bases, but mine are on 25mm ones.

The bases on the Bloodletters are done.

KvslKbF.jpg?1

Nothing terribly amazing about these really, but I'm pleased to have them done.  This means just about all my previously painted Daemons are properly based.  The main exception is the group of three plague drones that I painted ~2 years ago.  One of them will be straightforward enough as I used the legs from the Pusgoyle Blightlords that attach to the base with a rock.  The other two raise a problem though.  I built them with the idea of using my Tau drone stand technique, where I use a wire hidden in some 'grass'.  Here is an old pic to show what I mean.

1dY0yfY.jpg?1

And before anyone asks - No, I'm not painting Tau Empire currently and won't be for the foreseeable future.

That's not the best example but it shows what I was thinking.  The problem is that none of my chaos bases have any type of vegetation on them.  The solution? Come up with some other way of hiding the flying stand; accept that the two drones might look a bit out of place or go back and add some grass to models I painted before.  I'm thinking the last option.  It will be quite a bit of work to go back over other models, but I think it opens up some interesting options for basing future models and will add a little bit more interest to some bases that are otherwise a bit plain.  I'll probably work on the drone with the rock to start with and think more about the options for the others.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not really been feeling like I want to paint for much of the last month but I have got the paining on the four raptors completed.

SaMTuXW.jpg?1

These were much quicker than the previous 6, in terms of total time painting. I'll get the basing done on them over the weekend and also do the basing on this guy.

znGKadg.jpg?1

Man, those Raptors :wub: :wub: :wub: . I don't know what was GW thinking when they redesigned them. I am in the process of going old-school for a Raptor conversion I am working on ATM (taking some licenses, ofc). I am also a huge fan of the classic Eavy Metal paint scheme.

Keep it up!

Man, those raptors are gorgeous and the skin tone on the bloodletters is great. Awesome work! I like the wire idea from the drones, could you do the same thing with some green ooze?

Good suggestion, I'll look into that.

Man, those Raptors :wub: :wub: :wub: . I don't know what was GW thinking when they redesigned them. I am in the process of going old-school for a Raptor conversion I am working on ATM (taking some licenses, ofc). I am also a huge fan of the classic Eavy Metal paint scheme.

Keep it up!

Thank you both, much appreciated.  I'm so pleased with these guys, although I kinda feel like I'm leaning heavily on how great the old metal raptors are.  Actually though they really benefit from one more modern development - 32mm bases!  Being metal they are so top heavy.  I sure they would be falling over all the time on the old 25mm bases.  Anyway, really glad you like them.

I have done the bases of the last 4.

KDusvh0.jpg?1

The little bits of sludge need going over with the water effects, but they are essentially done.

A pinch and a punch for the first of the month and no returns!

Well met everyone!

I present to you the complete unit of 10 classic raptors.

CZ235CM.jpg?1

Also here is the finished drone base.

rkFZ47Q.jpg?1

SxXhNGF.jpg?1

It is quite satisfying getting the drone based as it has been waiting for the best part of 2 years I think.  I have been looking at the other 2 that remain baseless and have come up with a plan that I'm trying out on one of them.

I've also been messing about with various conversions which I hope to finish up very soon and show you.  A few more of the Blackstone Fortress chaos cultists and something altogether bigger.

Edited by Givemead

Hi everyone,

I have some chaos cultist conversion work to show you.

lLh0qFV.jpg

thrh9t0.jpg

FfjzXw3.jpg

I thought it would be nice to show my work against my earlier version of the same model.

The first one has had her autogun arm swapped for a pistol arm, I think from some Necromunda model, but I'm not sure which.  She has also had a bit of work done on the helmet to give some variation there too.

The second photo shows the two conversions of the grenade launcher armed cultist.  Obviously to pass as chaos cultist the grenade launcher had to go.  For one I went with an autogun from the older plastic cultists and for some reason decided I would do a shoulder strap loosely folded across the top of the weapon.  This may or may not work, we'll see once he is painted.  The other has been given a pistol and a hand weapon.  This involved repositioning his left arm, which I think worked better than I had thought it might.

The last one has had his autogun swapped for the one from the grenade throwing lass in the first picture.  Again I think this has work very well, it also means that the new mag in his hand makes sense and didn't need changing.

Some more work to do on these just to fill holes etc. but not much.

Thanks for looking in.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm making some good progress with the latest cultists, but today I thought I'd share the 'bigger' thing I've been working on.

AE4fKMJ.jpg?1

I have actually been messing about with a whole bunch of Soulgrinder/ Defilers that I've slowly collected from bits site sales, ebay saves etc.  It seems that some how I've collected together enough bits to build 4 Defilers and a Soulgrinder.  It'll take me a good while to make my way through all these, not least because some of them are in rather poor state of repair.  I also want to do some conversion work to bring these kits more in line with the more recent daemon engines, which have much less blocky forms than the defiler.

Anyway this is the first step in tackling this particular part of my pile-o-potential.

Those cultist conversions look great, super subtle. I'm excited to see what you do with the Daemon Engines!

Hi, acrowsperch, thanks.  I'm loving your stuff too.  More on the Soulgrinder below.

Really nice conversions! They fit perfectly with the aesthetic you are going for.

Thanks very much Master Umbra.

A couple of pics of the work on the Soulgrinder for you.

z2b5Vw7.jpg?1tSOkjDd.jpg?1

I don't think the Soulgrinder needs much conversion work, but the claw arm is a bit blocky and I think benefits from a little work.  Here I have added a chaos star to the upper arm (including turning the skull through 90 degrees!) and some 'rivets' (some of the tiny balls you get inside water filters).  This hides the rather obvious join between the two sides of the arm and brings the armour trim inline with the more recent chaos daemon engine kits.  It doesn't do much to address the blockyness of the arm, but I think it is enough.

I think I'm going to paint up the torso now rather than wait until I have converted the lower body.  My thinking here is that once painted I can pop the torso on the lower part of the Defiler I painted several years ago and all I'd have to do would be to swap in the Soulgrinder legs for the two Defiler claws.  I am still rather proud of the Defiler as even through it is an older paint job it was at the time the biggest model I had completed.  But it needs some work as it doesn't comply with the current weapon options for Defilers.  I originally converted it back in circa 2008 following the release of Apocalypse Reload.  This had the awesome Slaughterfiend Bloodpack formation, which was 3 Khorne Defilers all with 4 close combat weapons and with a Berzerker Champion rider.  At the time I fully intended to do another 2 converted Defilers, but never got around to it.

Here is a pic of the beast (cos pics or it didn't happen right?!).

JgTmnKk.jpg

Nice cultist conversions. Something I found was that it was a pretty simple cut to separate the reloading cultist at the torso (assuming you haven’t glued it together). This then gives you a nice Chaos-y set of legs for the bits box and you can use a Cadian or Genestealer cult set of legs as a replacement.

Just a thought if you have more to convert.

Dallo

Nice cultist conversions. Something I found was that it was a pretty simple cut to separate the reloading cultist at the torso (assuming you haven’t glued it together). This then gives you a nice Chaos-y set of legs for the bits box and you can use a Cadian or Genestealer cult set of legs as a replacement.

Just a thought if you have more to convert.

Dallo

Thanks Brother Dallo, that is a great idea.  I've used up all my BSF cultist now, but I'll remember that if I get some more, which I might as I like them a lot.

Great work! How did you find the Defiler? I kind of prefer the look of it without daemon flesh on it like you have set up.

Hi Llagos_Tyrant, thanks.  I quite liked the defiler actually.  I really enjoyed doing the Slaughterfiend conversion.  As I remember it there was a lot of edge highlighting on the body, but overall I am still very pleased with it.  I am a bit sad that I won't be able to replicate the metal as the main base colour for it was the Charadon Granite foundation paint.  That stuff was ace, I used it for loads of stuff.  Hardly surprising that my last pot of it was finished some years ago but I'm still using many of the other foundation paints.  I now use Stormvermin Fur for many of the things that I used Charadon for, but its not quite the same.

For the daemon engines I have more or less decided to leave the many body as it is and concentrate on the legs and torso as I think they are where conversion work will give the most differentiation to the standard model.  For the legs the armour panels that slot over the lower part are the best place to start I think, although I plan to try to change the foot somehow and the blades.  The problem will be finding something that I can replicate for all the legs.  For the torso I think some curved armour panels to each side of the head and battle cannon, something like the Helbrute would work well.  Some curved armour for the auto cannons and heavy flamers should be quite easy and would do a lot to bring the model more in line with the more recent models.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I got the latest cultists and the Plague Drone based. 

AxofrUu.jpg

Somehow I don't feel that these are quite as good as the previous lot of BSF cultists I painted.

aDGrxZa.jpg?1

Really pleased with the drone.  To attach it to the base I drilled/sculpted a paperclip into the leg on its left side.  The way this looks like it is just dipping into the rancid goop works well and gives a surprisingly sturdy attachment.  However, the bendyness in the legs mean that with the metal rider onboard the leg on the other side touches the base.  I also remembered to fix up the rider's horn.

In other news I got half a dozen big bases for the defilers and soulginder.  I decided the 170mm oval base, the same as the knights get, was the best to go for.  The plan will be to use the bases for more modeling opportunities to differentiate the models from each other and from the stock model.  One of the first jobs will be to base the Soulgrinder I painted some years ago, but I want to finish the one I'm working on first.

I have taken the plunge and started painting the Soulgrinder.

3weVWp7.jpg?1

I don't seem to have posted much WIP recently so I thought I'd post a pic of this guy as I'm quite pleased with progress so far.  I'm happy with the gold.  The armour plates will be fine once I highlight the black a little more.  The silver is OK, but I might see if I can break it up a bit with some oil stains or something.

I'm still thinking about what to do for the flesh.  I'm thinking a light blue-grey, possibly Aethermatic Blue Contrast, but that may just be because of the white undercoat.  Any thoughts fellow hobbyists?