Chaos by Givemead - Death Guard, Poxwalkers

Givemead

I think going with a colder flesh tone to contrast the warm gold could definitely be the way to go, or something completely different-- thinking about how the soulgrinder feels like a more emotional defiler, it could be better to go with a more warmer flesh color.

Thanks, acrowsperch, I think I'm going to go with a cool grey/blue, but I did think about a light pink flesh look.

I've done a bit more on the other parts of the Soul Grinder.

M1tK5Mx.jpg

jI71XoG.jpg?1

The first image shows the bits I've added to the front legs.  These are thin plasticard that I've cut to shape and cut out some sections.  I'm hoping this will be something like the fins/spikes on the Forgefiend and Helldrake.

The second image isn't the clearest but shows the tiny balls that I've added to the edge trim to look like studs.  This has worked well on the torso armour plates.

• 2 weeks later...

Painting of the Soul Grinder continues.

usBSxaj.jpg?1

At this point the skin has been based in white and then old Space Wolves Grey followed by Gryph-charger Grey.  I'll go over it to selectively add more grey contrast to the recesses where it hasn't shaded quite as much.  Then I'll use Blue Horror to highlight an possibly white for a fine edge highlight in selected places.  That's the plan anyway so we'll see how it goes.

I also got a Feculent Gnarlmaw.

UEtbKgp.jpg

I'll assemble this and probably paint it in between finishing the Soul Grinder.

• 2 weeks later...

The Soul Grinder torso is finished (until I spot the things I've missed!)

0s1lTXu.jpg?1

yPmqfiq.jpg

pfGEw3Y.jpg

rlBwzq2.jpg

Unfortunately I don't think the photos really do it justice, particularly the sword blade.  However I am very pleased with how it turned out.

The Feculent Gnarlmaw is coming along nicely as well so I think I'll get that finished this weekend.  Fortunately neither have bases at this stage so I don't have that extra stage to do.

I've finished the Feculent Gnarlmaw as well!

tSU3KWm.jpg?1

qH3ZldV.jpg

pUfZXHb.jpg?1

This was great fun.  Mostly Contrast paints over a drybrushed grey base.  The green-brown bark came out particularly well i think and it's just Plaguebearer Flesh and then Guilliman Flesh.

Edited by Givemead

I posted the 3 pics above of the Feculent Gnarlmaw on the Twitters and it was picked up by the War Comm team and featured on the Tuesday Hobby Roundup!

IWMKtPg.png?1

How amazing was that!

Some very nice comments from Nick Bayton, Chris Peach and the Chat.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone!

I've been doing a bit on Cypher so I thought I'd show a WIP shot.

zoiQnIf.jpg

I've gone for a fairly traditional colour scheme and been working on the cloak, trying to finish the fiddly inside area before moving onto the outside.  Now that they are both at a good stage I've turned my attention to the backpack and the other bits although this is mostly just repainting the Mechanicus Standard Grey base coat.

Thanks very much BadgersinHills.

I thought I'd show some more WIP.  This time its three old metal Plaguebearers that I uncovered when rooting around in my many boxes (I forget what I was actually looking for).

KFca0fB.jpg?1

Now I will admit that at this point they are pretty underwhelming to say the least, but I wanted to show them before the washes stage.  I'll wash them first with a fairly heavy coat of Agrax Earthshade and then with Seraphim Sepia.  Then it will be just some small bits like eyes and a bit of yellow glazing for the goop on them and that's it.

I thought I'd show the WIP of basing my last Plague Drone.  First up is the paperclip pin glued in place.

p6vrNG9.jpg

I've cut in along the front of the fin a centimeter or so and then carefully drilled a hole for the pin through the thickest part.  Then I have bent a length of paperclip to the right curve and super glued it in place.

rX2xUxD.jpg

Next I've covered the pin with liquid greenstuff.  I did this in 2 coats smoothing the first a bit before applying the second and then smoothing out again with very light filing.

pwsKX8R.jpg

NMfi2u2.jpg?1

The base is just a standard 60mm round base from GW.  I've filled 1 of the holes underneath with a sprue off cut and then drilled through.  Luckily I managed to get more or less the right angle first time so I think it will work quite well once I have the base made up with material and water effects.  I'll need to repaint the bottom half of the fin but that's not much of a problem.  Interestingly the leg on this drone is much more vertical and as a result there is less flex when I get the rider onboard than with the last 1 I did.

Edited by Givemead

Cypher is beginning to look rather good, even if I do say so myself.

UemoOxW.jpg?1

The Black Templar over the Mechanicus Standard Grey works nicely as a base for the black armour and shouldn't need that much highlighting.  Getting the armour to this stage really pulls the model together.  Quite a number of details to do but I think we are looking good to finish over the weekend.

I may have to do a squad of Fallen to go with him!

The painting of Cypher is complete.

ueaK50K.jpg?1

I've got his base made up and undercoated so I might finish him today.

The bases of the Plaguebearers and the Plague Drone are ready for the toxic sludge so I'll be posting them very soon as well.

I've got a bit of a picture dump for you.

kQxI5Gp.jpg

tCvHBcp.jpg

htiUzEw.jpg

PjY20GP.jpg

I am really pleased with how Cypher turned out.  I went for a fairly standard colour scheme, but with a few changes from the official GW version.  I have to say super respect to whoever it was who painted the one on the GW website.  I don't think I could do that good a job if it was a 54mm version.

Next its the Plaguebearers.

VRjJulT.jpg

FeVMFVg.jpg

These guys turned out rather well, a lot brighter than the same models that I painted 2008(?) or whenever it was.  I have since found another old metal Plaguebearer so this isn't the end of them!

Finally the based up Plague Drone.

SayH7i9.jpg

It's really good to get this one based up as it means I have all my painted Nurgle daemons based to a decent standard.

Next up will be a Venomcrawler, which I'm aiming to use as practice before doing a Lord Discordant.

Just the one picture for you today.  Here are the three Plague Drones together.

AjA8byU.jpg?1

Quite pleased with how the basing turned out.  The first one that I used the leg pinning on is a bit lopsided but I suppose that adds to the character of them.

Impressive work on Nurgle's children.

Thanks very much Bjorn.

I have some progress on the venomcrawler to show you this evening.

3JWZ9tz.jpg?1

This is just about all the basic colours done.  Started with a Leadbelcher spray and then major use of Contrast paints as is becoming standard practice for me.  I'll do some highlighting of the black armour panels and then its details like eyes, teeth etc.

I've started putting together my Lord Discordant.  Really pleased I did the venomcrawler first as it has helped me decide on the sub-assembles that I'll paint the Lord Discordant in.  To which the answer is 'many' as I think I should have left all the legs off.  Well lesson learnt :).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting there with the venomcrawler.

BKkkZFC.jpg?1

The paint job is complete, just need to do the base.

If I can give anyone advice about tackling one of these it would be this - Do NOT glue the legs on before painting it!  I thought I'd be fine with leaving the back pair off, but honestly if I had another one I'd leave all the legs off.  You might get away with attaching the middle set, but really I don't think there's much to be gained.  Might as well leave the mech-tentacles off too as the face will be much easier to get at.  Anyway it was meant to be practice for doing a Lord Discordant so I know for that to leave the legs off if possible.

Excellent work on the Venomcrawler.

Thanks again Bjorn for your kind words.

I've finished the base and so the Venomcrawler is properly complete!

oTaqEZ4.jpg?1

lpViT2X.jpg?1

Ytvpotk.jpg?1

9fQEZdb.jpg?1

u2LRq23.jpg?1

I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  I decided not to convert it, only doing a few minor changes.  The most noticeable thing is that I removed the chain and bits from the main spikes.  Otherwise its just some adjustment of the stonework and rocks that its standing on.

Painting wise the bit that probably took the longest was highlighting the black armour plates.  Most of the metalwork is just Leadbelcher spray with Basilicanum Grey and a drybrush of Runefang Steel.  The Gold then gets a coat of Aggaros Dunes and that's it.  I'm quite pleased with the orange eyes and vents.  They were done with Flash Gitz Yellow then Gryph-hound Orange, all over then around the edges.  Finally I blended on thinned Flash Gitz into the centre.

I will have plenty of hobby time before the end of the year thanks to COVID travel restrictions.  Which should mean I can finally have a crack at finishing the Dark Apostle that I started quite sometime ago.

I also aim to do a bit of a review of what I achieved this year, which promises to be interesting to say the least.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Edited by Givemead

Out of nowhere comes a painted Warpsmith!

rWWkVnO.jpg?1

I did him as my entry into Grotsmasha's Boxing Day Challenge.  The challenge was to build, paint and base a model in 24 hours.  I did just make the 24 hour time limit, but only by a few minutes.  I think I didn't do myself any favours by choosing a resin model and one with so many pieces.  It took quite a bit of time in the first place to clean up the different parts and get the initial build glued together.  Fortunately there wasn't that much in the way of bubbles or other imperfections that I needed to fix, but the main parts of the body just didn't want to glue together.

The paint scheme was actually very easy, although again I didn't do myself any favours because I picked up the Mechanicus Standard Grey can rather than the Leadbelcher can before spraying and only realised once I was back inside as the light was beginning to fade already.  Anyway the painting is mostly done with Contrast paints.  It's not my finest work but I am very pleased with him given the time involved.

I'll confess that the base is only temporary to meet the requirements of the challenge.  I'm going to put him on a bigger base, probably 32mm, but maybe 40mm rather than the 25mm base he comes with.  I think he must be one of the few space marine models that still comes on a 25mm base.  I did start to prepare a 32mm base, but decided against it for the challenge as the model is designed to hang over the edge of the 25mm base pretty much all round and is going to need more time than the challenge would allow to base on anything larger.  That will have to wait however as I want to finally get the Dark Apostle finished.

Something else that I have been fiddling about with recently is this guy.

J1L00MV.jpg?1

This is a conversion I started many years ago, exactly how long ago I'm not sure, but to date it the axe is from the Dragon Ogor Shaggoth which I got from GW just before they stopped doing mail order bits.  So yes this is old.

I'd previously got most of the conversion of the axe done, which involved removing a hand from the shaft and turning the axe head so the small rings hang down.  I also added the chaos stars at the time, although I've used liquid greenstuff just to go round and make sure there are no gaps.

I had at that time been trying to work out some sort of jet pack, which is where I had lost enthusiasm for it and put it away.  Coming back now I have decided to go with the model as it is so have attached the skull vent things.  The other thing that I had done was to start to convert the head by cutting the horns off.  Why I did this and what I had in mind I don't know.  Anyway I have Got the horns from an old CSM champion head, which i think are about right.  I did look at Bloodletter horns, but they aren't really thick enough to my mind.

The main part now is to get the shoulder pads attached, which will be easier said than done as they are quite thin and not really shaped on the inside to attach to the arms.

Edited by Givemead