Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chaos by Givemead - Death Guard, Poxwalkers

Chaos Nurgle Death Guard

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

Syrakul

Syrakul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 265 posts
That warpsmith is impressive for one day! Great work painting it with all the hidden details and subassemblies.
That sweet metal daemon prince has always escaped my grasp, really dislike the new(old) plastic one too. Horns look fine (from this angle)
  • Givemead likes this

Givemead

Givemead

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 206 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, Daemons, Tau

That warpsmith is impressive for one day! Great work painting it with all the hidden details and subassemblies.
That sweet metal daemon prince has always escaped my grasp, really dislike the new(old) plastic one too. Horns look fine (from this angle)

Thanks again Syrakul.  I'm very pleased with the Warpsmith.  There are a few bits that I'd go back to maybe and I will give him a bigger base, but, yeah it feels good to do that in just 24 hours.  I have to agree with you on the plastic daemon prince.  I'd like to see what they could do now if they re-did it.

I have finally finished the Dark Apostle.

RyrpscT.jpg?1

TjRWOOs.jpg?1

flDCU1b.jpg?2

Really pleased to finally get this guy painted after starting him in June.  The inside of the cloak was giving me problems.  Doing Cypher helped quite a bit and I think the cloak, both inside and out has come out quite well.  I'm also still pleased with the conversion, which is seemingly quite simple but involved swapping the right hand to the left.  It also took a bit of time to get the bolt pistol right.

hdXqz8B.jpg?1

Here he is with his Dark Disciples.

knZ0l0t.jpg?1

Here is all the Word Bearers together.  I decided to paint all the base rims black, rather than grey, as I think it looks better.

I am intending to do a bit of a review of the last year, but I think that will wait until tomorrow.

• Bjorn Firewalker likes this
My Chaos blog - 2020: Models fully painted = 61, bases painted = 55, New models bought = 91. I'm on instagram! - @give_me_a_d
gallery_48988_15094_5045.pnggallery_48988_15094_7072.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_15818.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_4765.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_9072.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_9852.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_1990.png

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 13,236 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Fine works.
  • Givemead likes this
Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)

Warhammer 40,000+ Star Wars- Rian Johnson- Reylo= AWESOME! (Knights of Renaissance)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement) or the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Syrakul

Syrakul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 265 posts
My god those cataphractii look like shiny eye candy, really nice red and mettalics, very clean and smooth
  • Givemead likes this

K0rtmer

K0rtmer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 732 posts
Great job on the face and skin tone of that Apostle there. Very well done.
  • Givemead likes this

— Visit K0rtmer's echo chamber: slow-burn, random projects, Death Guard, Space Crusade. You know, hobby butterfly. 

gallery_80057_10843_8937.jpg

Givemead

Givemead

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 206 posts

Fine works.

Thanks very much Bjorn.

My god those cataphractii look like shiny eye candy, really nice red and mettalics, very clean and smooth

Thanks Syrakul.  The terminators are possibly my favourite unit I painted in 2020, partly because they were dead easy to paint.

Great job on the face and skin tone of that Apostle there. Very well done.

Thank you K0rtmer.  I really feel like I struggle with human faces so I'm very pleased with how this one turned out.

Time for a bit of a review of 2020.

We all know that 2020 was rubbish in real life, and that's putting it politely.  Hobby-wise though I think for me and many others it was the most productive year ever.  So lets get into it!

Back at the end of 2019 (which seems so long ago now) I came up with a few hobby goals/ challenges for the year ahead:

1.  Paint more models than I buy new ones

2.  Modify, convert or kit-bash every model

3.  Take opportunities to do hobby stuff

For number 1 I ended up painting 61 models an I also completed/re-did the bases for 55.  I picked up several copies of the Mortal Realms magazine early in the year which pushed up the models purchased count and I ended up having bought 91 models.  I count this as a reasonable result.  If I take this forward I'll have to think about what I buy more carefully as I don't have any more daemons that need basing.  Still, all together it looks pretty impressive -

sTxXd66.jpg?1

For number 2 I did do a good number of conversions of chaos cultists including the leader of the traitor guard unit.  I did some minor modifications to several models including the contemptor dread and the venomcrawler.  However, I did leave some models as they are.  Again I think this is a reasonable result.

Number 3 was rather vague and I think I was thinking that I would do more hobby with others.  I ended up doing a load of hobby but obviously world events meant this was solo or virtual.  I feel like I finished the year on a positive note when I took part in the Boxing Day Challenge.  I count this as my strongest result, but not quite how I imagined.  A particular highlight was when my Feculent Gnarlmaw was shown on the Hobby Roundup -

IWMKtPg.png?1

Looking foward

I think I will stick with the 3 hobby goals I had for 2020 as I think they continue to be worthy goals.  In terms of the models I'd like to tackle this year I really want to get stuck in to my Death Guard and the new codex will help I'm sure.  I would also like to get more of the Betrayal at Calth box completed, which includes the Cataphractii armoured captain and the mark IV marines.  I got an additional box of marines, but was disappointed that they don't come with the same transfers.  However, I have since got several sheets so will be able to do them all as Word Bearers.  I've got some plans for some Nurgle cultists and some more generic Chaos cultists.  Other than that I'm sure I'll continue to pull old models out of the many boxes in my hobby room.

For now I'm starting with the metal daemon prince I showed recently.

I'd like to thank everyone who has commented on or liked my hobby output over the last year, it's been great to get feedback.  I'll finish up by saying that I hope 2021 brings you all some great hobby moments!

My Chaos blog - 2020: Models fully painted = 61, bases painted = 55, New models bought = 91. I'm on instagram! - @give_me_a_d
gallery_48988_15094_5045.pnggallery_48988_15094_7072.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_15818.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_4765.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_9072.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_9852.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_1990.png

Givemead

Givemead

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 206 posts

So about those chaos cultists...

7NAf1tS.jpg?1

Here are the first three of a new unit of cultists.  This idea is taken from a post on Warhammer Community from about April 2020.  They used Sicarian stubcarbines to give the Arco-flagallants the appropriate weaponry, but as I don't have that set and you only get 5 in a box (as far as I can tell) I went with something else.  I'm using cut down guns from the Skitarii set.  The WarComm article suggested adding spikes 'cos spikes = chaos', but I think I'm going to leave them as they are.

Thinking about using a Negavolt cultist for either/both a champion or flamer guy.  The negavolt cultist is slightly beefier and the coils on their back could be swapped for flamer tanks.  I have a Escher flamer that I'm thinking of using, so I'll have a little play around to see if that could work.

The Daemon Prince is coming along, just about there with the armour trim.  I've decided to go with a generally red and gold/brass colour scheme, taking inspiration from artwork in the old 2002(?) codex.

Syrakul

Syrakul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 265 posts
That is some dedication for cultists! Yep doesn't need to be spikes but in their case I would think removing more is a good thing, like their number tags, then maybe replace with painted on brands on their flesh.
  • Givemead likes this

Givemead

Givemead

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 206 posts

That is some dedication for cultists! Yep doesn't need to be spikes but in their case I would think removing more is a good thing, like their number tags, then maybe replace with painted on brands on their flesh.

Hi Syrakul, thanks.  I've decided to take the number tags off as they are quite distinctive.  I have the base colours going down on the first 5 now and I might get them finished quite soon.

In other news my daemon prince is coming along.  I've got the main edging done and the base colour for the armour.  Going to move onto the various bone details now.

ndMeGq0.jpg?1

• Syrakul likes this

acrowsperch

acrowsperch

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, LatD

Cultists are looking great. I'd maybe replace some feet with some less-than-desirable prosthetics and their dogtags as mentioned previously? I think cutting off identifiable limbs seems to help the "disposable-ness" of cultists a lot. 

• Givemead likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Chaos, Nurgle, Death Guard

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users