supporting titans

sal of manders

Not sure if this is the right spot for this question, but anyway

I have a warhound and am thinking of getting some mechanicus support forces to accompany it.  What should I get that is NOT knights? I'm looking for recommendations on  something that both works for the aforementioned support role and can be used as a stand alone force in smaller games in the 1k to 1500 range.  Emphasis is on the narrative in this one, so I'm not looking for super competitive, and the points range is just to give a ball park on force size.

If it matters, said warhound has mega bolter and titan plasma.  To clarify, I have no existing mechanicus, so options are wide open for me. 

Also, this is for 40k, not 30k.

Titan Legios are depicted as even more varied in nature and culture than even Space Marine Chapters. I would get a ground force that reflects the theme of my Titan Legion. If you play with a Legio that values the honorable joust, then I'd get tons of Dragoons and Balistarii to punch that theme home. Others could bring converted feral skitarii, like Legio Tempestus, or ordered hordes of servitors and battle-robots. Sky's the limit.

Titan Legios are depicted as even more varied in nature and culture than even Space Marine Chapters. I would get a ground force that reflects the theme of my Titan Legion. If you play with a Legio that values the honorable joust, then I'd get tons of Dragoons and Balistarii to punch that theme home. Others could bring converted feral skitarii, like Legio Tempestus, or ordered hordes of servitors and battle-robots. Sky's the limit.

so what you're saying is, I should get to work on that fluff piece for my titan legion :rolleyes: :happy.:

I can't speak to the crunch side of this discussion, but I'd assume that you might want to look into Forge World's Secutarii as their purpose in the fluff is to act as infantry support for Titans.

well... who would've thought such a thing would already exist? Looked at their PDF rules, and initial impression is that they look pretty good for their point costs.  I just got the ad mech codex today, so I'll have to see what grabs me fluff wise.  

my main army is salamanders, so I liked the color coordination with legio astraman, but I'm not so sold on Graia's game rules, so it's going to be home brew on this one.  Also, while I like the emerald green as a color, I think I'm going to be going with something different for the titan scheme.

Warhound is 750 points iirc.

No, it was increased to 1500 in 8th edition with the updates to the FW indexes. Which pretty much makes them a non-competitive choice by default, so you might as well go with the fluffiest choices if you want to build a force around one, since competitiveness is a non-starter at the moment. Hope they fix it though.

Warhound is 750 points iirc.

No, it was increased to 1500 in 8th edition with the updates to the FW indexes. Which pretty much makes them a non-competitive choice by default, so you might as well go with the fluffiest choices if you want to build a force around one, since competitiveness is a non-starter at the moment. Hope they fix it though.

Worse than that, it's a 2000 point unit now. 

Essentially it is never worth fielding.

Ah sorry. 30k player here had no idea 8th did that to the poor warhound.

Yeah, it's kind of a shame as it's a cool unit. It's quite powerful, but is not even close to being worth 2000 points. You could pick up a pair of Porphyrions and support units for the same amount - and you'd have a lot more firepower.

With games never really going above 2000 points anyway (and 1850 /1750 swiftly becoming the new standard), there is just never any chance to field the thing.

Unless you're playing apoc, where it tends to simply becomes the small fish in the pond :/

The warhound is 1500pts so you get 0 support

Just to clarify any confusion here, the points range I was talking about was in addition to the warhound itself.

I'm well aware that warhounds are over costed, considering baneblades are a thing, and I'm sure there's a LOT of other things that do the job better.

That, for the most part, is why I emphasized the fluff end of things on this one.

Archived