Finding a decent Voice-to-Text App for blogging

Xin Ceithan

Don't know where else to put this .... but can anyone point me towards a decent Voice to text Software / App for iOS devices?

I was diagnosed with a degrading visual disability recently and while reading is not the problem, I sucked at typing before and typing and proofing is getting tiresome. The basic iOS seems not to handle foreign languages well and I am reluctant to shell out money on an App with only the Internet to go by....

So, I am turning to you, my fellow Brothers, to help me get some text along with my pics on the B&C more frequently.

Any ideas or help is dearly appreciated!

Yup. But it seems reaaaaallly bad at English. Or my English, at least. :p

It's not even the hobby specific things. I tried the Notepad on my IPhone and it doesn't even get to write "The rain in Spain is mostly on the plains" spelled right. At that rate, I am actually faster typing and correcting. I am used to doing Voice memos from work and can get a couple of pages down in a couple of minutes. Writing and correcting, say, half a page takes me like half an hour. Plus headaches. :(

It's why I decided to ask around - I'd like to participate and blog a bit more but putting down some fluff takes me three hours. So, I am looking to speed things up with something that has a decent grip on the English...

Looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_speech_recognition_software

there seems to be not a lot of software for speech-to-text and the few open source projects are only speech recognition engines, not complete programs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_recognition_software_for_Linux

lists a lot of projects, many open source, but all software listed is for linux. Some projects could have ports for windows & mac os though.

Sorry that I'm not more of a help, but I'm neither owning a smartphone nor did I use speech to text software yet - and I won't recommend software I didn't at least try out myself.

If this was for PC I'd just say "try out the open source projects" since that usually costs just a download and some time.

I know that Dragon by Nuance is popular with programmers avoiding, or recovering from, RSIs. They have a mobile version called Dragon Anywhere that runs on iOS and Android. Note this is professional software, and is priced accordingly.

I'm Deaf, so often see requests for that sort of software - actually been asked to do a piece on Apex Legends' disability access functions for Hearinglikeme.com recently, though obviously that's within that game itself.

I'll see if any of my fellow authors have covered anything similar recently - but check out hearing loss blogs and see if they don't have anything that might help in the meantime!

Thank you all for your replies!

Options seem indeed rather limited, which does surprise me. I think most people talk much easier than they type...

I'll look into the ideas you have offered andI am not opposed to use professional software if it get's the job done.

Again, my thanks everyone!

I've been hearing good things about an app called Otter - and this is from journalists who have to transcribe a lot of different voices.

Example review -

https://www.fastcompany.com/40570158/theres-no-perfect-transcription-app-but-otter-is-getting-there

Thank you. It's good to have a few options. And a bit more hands on reviews than what is available on the App Store.

Archived