Redeemer - Astorath short story by Guy Haley

Panzer

So today Black Library released a short story focussing on Astorath and Primaris. Obviously we won't get some huge reveals there as it's just a short story, however I already like that GW isn't keeping completely quiet about that topic and Astorath is a great character deserving more stories like Mephiston got.

Here's the link to the book: https://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/redeemer-eshort-2019.html

Here's what the WarCom article said about it:

First up is a new short story, joining the five that have been released over the week. Redeemer is a Blood Angels tale by Guy Haley, focusing on the sinister Astorath and his grim duty of killing sons of Sanguinius who have fallen to the Black Rage. Here’s author Guy Haley to tell us more:

Guy: The issue of the Curse vexes the great minds of the Blood Angels. For centuries, the Chapter and their successors have sought a cure for the Red Thirst and the Black Rage. Brought to their knees by the Devastation of Baal, hope came unexpectedly in the shape of Primaris Space Marines. These new warriors appeared to be resistant to the Red Thirst, and immune to the Black Rage. But is this really true? And how do the Primaris view the terrors that afflict their non-Primaris brethren? This story, in which High Chaplain Astorath undertakes his grim duty, sheds a little light on matters perhaps best left unexplored.

BLCelebration-Feb23-Redeemer20ycf.jpg

----------------------------------

I've already read it (had to get it from amazon since Black Library still doesn't accept non credit card payments apparently :dry.: ).
The stories is set at what's basically the end of the end of what could be a great horror story if just humans are involved.

The appearance of the great rift caused some issues on a planet, as it did on plenty others, they weren't able to communicate with the Imperium for several decades, a half-squad of Blood Angels got send there to deal with it. It's a mixed squad of Primaris and a non-Primaris Sergeant.

I won't spoiler what happened on the planet though, even if it's not the focus of the story. Just know that a non-Primaris Blood Angel fell to the Black Rage, Astorath sensed it and as is his duty he went there to deal with it. It's nicely described how he senses those things from his point of view as well (so no meta explanation).
The most interesting thing for people who don't want to read the story but are interested in the future of BA Primaris is probably the afterword. I'm putting it into spoilers even though it doesn't spoil anything, just in case.

'High Chaplain,' said Fidelius. 'May I have permission to ask your guidance?'
'You may.'
'Will this happen to us?'
Astorath answered thoughtfully. 'Your creator, Belisarius Cawl, has many qualities, but he is a braggart and wears hubris like a gown. It is impossible to eliminate Sanguinius' suffering from our souls. But it may be that you are immune to its effects.'
'Then, if we shall never see what the Angel saw, can we truly call ourselves Blood Angels?' asked Edmun.
'You are Primaris, but you are Blood Angels first. The blood of Sanguinius flows in your veins as it does in mine. You may never suffer the way Erasmus did, but rest assured, you are my brothers,' said Astorath.
He made sure to meet the eyes of each of them, and as he did he heard a few distant notes of pain -  a foretaste, perhaps, of what might come to pass.

EDIT: abhor the typo!

Started reading it but took a break for housework. There've been a few takes on Astorath in the past (including a short story titled Redeemer of the Lost by Andy Smillie for an advent calendar series years ago), but this one, judging by the opening sections, is by far the best. I'd been skeptical of Astorath as a character since his introduction (mostly because of his miniature, originally, I admit), but the way Haley sets him up here, from the way he dreams in his personal sarcophagus, the make-up of the Eminence Sanguis, the way Astorath is clad in his ceremonial gear... it is extremely evocative and makes me wish they'd commission Haley for other Blood Angels characters as well. He gets the gravity of their burden.

Fun fact, this isn't the first or only Astorath short Haley has written. Eminence Sanguis was an extra to the Dante collector's edition, iirc. Sadly, it hasn't been published outside of it since, same as his Cawl story for Dark Imperium, or Josh's Howling Ship from Fabius Bile, or AD-B's Wonderworker from The Talon of Horus. A pity that, I'd really like to see the other Astorath story and how it connects.

Nice little story that’s mostly about the pain and sorrow that lies at the heart of the Black Rage rather than the all consuming rage and madness that’s it’s more obvious symptoms. Haley does a good job here.

I recommend that you read Lemartes by David Annandale, it clearly established the pain and sorrow that lies behind the rage, for the rage is just the expression of the sadness and the losses.

In Lemartes, the Chaplain find parallels in the rage that consumes the Death Company, the Blood Disciples and Skarbrand.

For the Blood Angels it is the sorrow from the loss of Sanguinius and the need to avenge his death that fuel their rage, and it is described as both a need to save and avenge the primarch.

For the Blood Disciples and Skarbrand it is the sorrow born from their betrayal against Khorne.

The Death Company rage is by nature made in order to make the sinners repent for their betrayal, aka the Horus Heresy, while for the Blood Disciples and Skarbrand, their rage is in nature a penitent one, for their seek to atone for a crime that they know, can never know redemption.

Lemartes also explain that the Death Company rage is one of Justice, while the rage of the Blood Disciples and Skarbrand is one that come from the knowledge of the sin of their Betrayal.

Archived