Reclaimers of Dorn

My first attempt at doing a homebrew Chapter, these chaps are going to be gold and Silver. Still working on the lore but I want to make them a Crusade type force who are seeking evidence that will lead them to find their Primarch :smile.:

Here are some pics.

1st Captain Larrairus:

Dz8RJp_W0AAWt7u.jpg

Dz8RJqBWkAA288E.jpg

Dz8RJqBWsAAWJWQ.jpg

Dz8RJqDX0AAtbqF.jpg

Not named yet, this is my 'Blade Master', just like a Champion. I know he has an Ultramarine sword, instead of clipping it off, I thought it would be cool that the Chapter settles its grievances with an honour duel, part of that duel is taking the opponents weapon if you win. Kind of, keep what you kill sort of thing.

E7JyN6B.jpg

Will keep the thread update with my progress :smile.:

Please just swap out the sword, there's a recent thread in the Black Templar forum showing how someone else did it using the sheathed sword in the Black Templar upgrade kit and it looks epic.

Anyway, no real son of Dorn walks round with a puny Gladius, we use proper swords.

You guys make it difficult to be a BT fan sometimes... With a "no true Scotsman" fallacy, even! If you don't like someone's artistic choices, move on and read another thread. If you're going to post, post constructively.

I, too, think that the "you keep what you kill" backstory is pretty cool. It's an innovative answer that I've never encountered before, and is much more characterful than the Blood Ravens' kleptomania meme. Honor duels are also very fitting for the sons of Dorn.

I also like the kitbashing work on the Captain. Keep it up, and post more pictures!

Please just swap out the sword, there's a recent thread in the Black Templar forum showing how someone else did it using the sheathed sword in the Black Templar upgrade kit and it looks epic.

Anyway, no real son of Dorn walks round with a punt Gladius, we use proper swords.

Nare, going to keep it my way, thanks for the feedback though :yes:

I'm sure it'll look grand once it's painted up. The blue plastic just screams "Ultrasmurf!" even without the decorations on the sword and scabbard, but I find that's the case with most of these coloured plastic kits. Once you get a bit of proper paint on them it changes everything.

In terms of justifying why a Son of Dorn is sporting an Ultramarine weapon, the "keep what you defeat/kill" trophy idea is cool. Many IF successors regularly compete against each other in trials, so they're no strangers to crossing blades with other chapters. Even so, there's plenty of alternative backstories. Maybe the Blademaster once served in the Deathwatch and took up the sword of a fallen brother, or perhaps the crusade intervened when a fiefdom of the Ultramarines came under attack and the weapon was a gift of thanks from the world's praetorians. Maybe the Blademaster served as one of Guilliman's Unnumbered Sons and was given the weapon by the Primarch himself for a notable deed before being sent off to his chapter.

However you decide to roll with it, I'm looking forward to seeing more!

I apologise if you thought I was belittling the keep what you kill idea. I can see that working, even if it is a little Marines Malevolent.

What I don't like about Calsius generally is the length of the Gladius, it just looks too short, particularly on a Primaris scale body and absent the shield which makes Gladii practical. (Gladii are designed to work behind a solid shield wall, the enemy hits it, and you just stab them repeatedly.)

I just think swapping out the sheath below the left hand would keep the Ultramarine look of the blade, while enhancing proportions.

Why get hung up about a non-Ultramarine using a gladius? There has been cases in the lore of other Legions/Chapters using various weapons, for example Nykona Sharrowkyn battles Lucius using twin gladii.

I think that receiving the sword as a gift is a great way to go, it would give the bearer instant respect/sway with any Ultramarines he encounters as they would recognise the honour in such a gift.

I love the backstory of the Gladius, really quite unique and cool. Very keen to see the progress and some paint slapped on them!

Thanks, I will get to the painting once I have my Shadowspear, want to spray them all in one go :P

Here is a kitbashed honour guard I'm working on, I know they cannot be used as the guard like Calgar but they will make a 'rule of cool' Captain or LT :)

e2wijVF.jpg

Eh574v5.jpg

oRvTlk1.jpg

Nice start brother:thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing some painted figures...… I'm also curios to see what your paint scheme will look like. Silver and gold sounds good.

P.S. My Ultramarine brother will be wanting his gladius back.... expect a rematch:wink:

Well, good to know how well those Storm Shields look on Primaris marines, as I'm planning out a squad with Storm Shields for a friend. :thumbsup:

What's going to be the colour scheme for your chapter if I may ask?

Going with Silver and gold at the moment.

Nice start brother:thumbsup: Looking forward to seeing some painted figures...… I'm also curios to see what your paint scheme will look like. Silver and gold sounds good.

P.S. My Ultramarine brother will be wanting his gladius back.... expect a rematch:wink:

Anytime :P

As much as dorn, the fists and their thin blooded ilk (executioners aside) are as entertaining to me as watching paint dry these guys, especially that boss looking chapter master, are looking really cool.

Can't wait to see more.

Keep up the good work both here and with your videos.

As a side note Mr valrak. Having watched countless of your videos and such I know your an imperial and fist fan boy. However! I would very much love to see you step outside your comfort zone and possibly with the new chaos release on the horizon do a dornian heresy fist force/squad/model.

May I suggest giving your honor guard a different weapon? One of the Phalanx Warders' axes maybe, or a power maul? It would go a long way in differentiating him from the base model! Good job on the chapter master by the way, the hammer fits his pose way better than PriMarneus waving his fists around imo.

As much as dorn, the fists and their thin blooded ilk (executioners aside) are as entertaining to me as watching paint dry these guys, especially that boss looking chapter master, are looking really cool.

Can't wait to see more.

Keep up the good work both here and with your videos.

As a side note Mr valrak. Having watched countless of your videos and such I know your an imperial and fist fan boy. However! I would very much love to see you step outside your comfort zone and possibly with the new chaos release on the horizon do a dornian heresy fist force/squad/model.

Oh yes Emperor let it happen

Archived