Road to The North China Open

Morticon

I guess the lack of specials is made up for by the fact they cause a wound on anything on a 6 to hit. Which will means a few extra saves for the opponent across the game. Not to mention they're still Primaris with 2W, 2A and red thirst. Solid Scout alternative, though as you say... POINTS will may or break 'em.

i'm going to play-test something completely different this week just to change things up for me, so I dont get bored.  

I have a feeling though, that it may actually do well in this meta - and may consider changing to it. 

Here's what I'm looking at :

BA Libby Dread

BA Smash Captain

5x Tactical Marines - Axe, Combi-Melta, Heavy Flamer

Razorback - Twin Las, SB

Razorback - Twin Las, SB

Razorback - Twin Las

Dreadnought - Twinlas/TwinAuto

Sicaran

Quad Mortar

Quad Mortar

DW  Captain- Hammer, JP

5x Veterans - Shields, SB

5x Veterans - Shields, SB

Razorback - Las/Plas, SB
Razorback - Las/Plas, SB

Assassin

I’m running a patrol now for Deathwatch with a jump Watch Captain:

Sergeant - power axe & stormbolter

Black Shield - stormshield & stormbolter

4x Veteran - stormshield & stormbolter

2x Veteran - frag cannon

2x Terminator power fist & stormbolter

Keen to hear how the frags play. Please let us know! 

So, I found out on Friday that there is a new Tau player on the scene and he's really good, with a very solid tau list.  This means that the really cool, fun list that I was thinking of playing is probably not going to see the light of day (though, i probably will give it a test drive some time). 

That being said, I played with the following variation on the main list against the Eldar list that beat me last week. 

BA - BATT

BA Smash Cap - Hammer, Shield, Angels Wing, Artisan. 

BA Libby Dread - Quickening, Wings

5x Scouts - storm bolter

5x Scouts - storm bolter

5x Intercessors - grenade

8x Vanvets - 5shields, 1Axe, Maul, 1Swords

1x Quad Mortar

1x Quad Mortar

DW - BATT

Libby - JP, Stormbolter (Veil, Might)

Captain - JP, Stormbolter, Hammer (Beacon here, now)

8x Vets - 2Terms, 1Vanguard, 7 stormbolters, 6shields.

10x Vets - 5Bikers (homer), 5SB, 3SS.

10x Vets - 5Bikers (homer), 5SB, 4SS.

+ Assassin.

The game provided sweet, sweet vengeance against the crafty Eldar.  First two turns were absolutely brutal, and it was backfoot for him for the rest of it.  

I wont give a full break down, but, the list played as it should.

On account of how aggressive the list is, they were unmolested all game. It was a weird decision by fw to make their shatter shot 24". So, you rarely get to use them.

I would say if you do use them make sure they're out of LoS.

Also, youre looking at 3-5 wounds a shot vs most targets sadly, so they aren't amazing. Just steady workhorses and necessary units if you're up against tau.

Their smaller footprint means they can hide better than the comparable whirlwind at same cost. Also, their crew are hardly ever targetable, making them very good back field units.

One more variation into the fray, because my mind isnt ready to give up on that mech list just yet....

BA - BATT

5x Tac- Heavy Flamer, Combi-melta, Axe

1x Quad Mortar

1x Quad Mortar
1x Quad Mortar

Razorback - TLLC
Razorback - TLLC
Razorback - TLAC

Admech - BATT

Enginseer
Enginseer 

5x Rangers- 2Arquebus

5x Rangers- 2Arquebus

5x Rangers- 2Arquebus

DW - PATROL

Captain - JP, Stormbolter, Hammer (Beacon )

5x Vets - 5SS,4SB

Razorback - TLLC

+ Assassin.

Thoughts? 

Edited by Morticon

No fan of it in a competitive environment :(

I don't know your local meta, but at least half of my Razorback would be blown up if I would bring something like this....

I'm actually also brainstorming some ideas for BA + DW atm and I might think they could be some merit in focusing on 2W models.

My idea would be to have a DW jumppack captain run up the board with the Beacon relic and have a 10 man scout consisting of 5 Intercessors and 5 Aggressors teleporting into cover and blow up your enemies screen. This unit is pretty though since its T5 and can first take wounds Intercessor.

All the while your BA heroes run up the board.

You could even have a big blob of SG with the banner running up ad well if you want to overload your opponent on high threats.

My only worry is that there just isn't a strong enough "core". It's just 30 wounds of troops split between marines and skitarii, however maybe this is the blessing as target priority is a bit moot when it's all Razors!

I guess you'll be playing the threat-neutralizing game, combined arms to pick off whatever is the biggest hamper to your guys then cleaning up VP with scoring bodies who can hopefully handle themselves.

Will the Libby Dread get enough done without Might of Heroes from a DW Libby?

Looking at neonmoles lists I'd say there doesn't have to be a strong "core" in form of infantry if the rest of the list compensates for it. ^^

The Libby Dread is perfectly fine without Might of Heroes imo. Its biggest problem is the amount of attacks which can only be solved with our +1d3 attacks Stratagem unfortunately.

Looking at neonmoles lists I'd say there doesn't have to be a strong "core" in form of infantry if the rest of the list compensates for it. ^^

But his core is the large amount of intercessors in repulsors? A lot hardier than 5 tacs in a razor!

But his core is the large amount of intercessors in repulsors? A lot hardier than 5 tacs in a razor!

Well his latest list has only 3x5 Intercessors, so barely the minimum requirement for a Battalion. That's not a large amount. ^^

But yeah Intercessors in Repulsors is of course more durable. That why you'd have to take a few more Razorbacks than you'd do with Repulsors and be prepared to lose some of them early.

Overall the Repulsor variant is probably the more competetive one for multiple reasons but that wasn't up to debate here. Just saying that you don't necessarily need hordes of Marine infantry if the rest of the list compensates for it somehow.

And by hopefully getting Quickening off.

Quickening is nice but I rather take Shield together with Wings. That way he can protect himself against high AP weaponry or some other unit like my Redemptor or Repulsor.

Great thoughts and considerations guys. Yeah, all the weaknesses in worried about.

in terms of wounds, my most recent iteration has around 60/70.

In terms of powers, quickening is what makes the Libby in my mind. Its what gives him his first turn charges and allows him to really put the hurt on.

I think the razors can work really well with a lynchpin. How open are you to exchanging the admech in the mech variation? Not sure how many points it brings you but if you can pack in a leviathan or something to take the heat off the razorbacks it could be enough saturation to let them survive for long enough. Using the previous comparison to neon's repulsor list, I'm thinking the razors would be like the redemptors in that they can do serious work if there are distraction carnifexes to draw focus

Will look at this over the weekend after recommendations from the group. 

BA - BATT

1x Quad Mortar

Razorback - TLLC, SB
Razorback - TLPG, SB
Razorback - TLPG, SB

DW - PATROL

Captain - JP, Stormbolter, Hammer (Beacon )

5x Vets - 5SS,5SB

Razorback - TLLC, SB

1x Quad Mortar

1x Leviathan Dread - Grav/Storm

+ Assassin.

Only thing I worry about is how tragically empty the backline is :/ But looks like fun, nevertheless. 

I shifted to las/plas razors as the Levvy will pick up a lot of the heavy lifting, and the lasplas will put out a lot more damage.  

1x Quad Morta1r

If the Levy is supposed to do a lot of the heavy lifting lets just hope it survives long enough. Looks to me like an opponent would try to focus it down the same way as the.öy'd do with a Knight or Repulsor. Do you think your list can still work if the Levy is gone turn 1 already?

If the Levy is supposed to do a lot of the heavy lifting lets just hope it survives long enough. Looks to me like an opponent would try to focus it down the same way as the.öy'd do with a Knight or Repulsor. Do you think your list can still work if the Levy is gone turn 1 already?

In a way, yeh. I think the strength is getting the beacon jump on the infantry, then key units taken out by the hard hitters, and the tacticals trying to pull their weight as well. I really dont know if it will work...but, if the enemy targets the levvy instead of the razors i will be happy