Local Club Tournament, advice wanted

Sloeberjong

Ok, so in may we'll have a tourney for our club. It's usually pretty laid back, so I don't necessarily have to go all out. I'm therefore not really looking for advice on my army list since I'll bring what I like. Im open to suggestions, though. 

The thing is that there will be some different rules. Rules that I've tried to get changed, but alas. I will play the tourney anyway, albeit under protest. The most terrible rule is that you're only allowed to use 5 strategems...the entire tournament. And you'll have to pick them along your army list. This is to speed up the game, or so they say. I know there are some people within the club that hate CP and strats because of powerful combo's when they bring :cussty armies. They're the equally terrible opponent to WAAC players and Smash captains will lose nothing in effect of this rule (they're otherwise nice people though). Anyway, this is water under the bridge, but it means with DW I cannot bring all +1 to wound strategems or anti-xenos stuff (I might not encounter tau at all). What I need advice on is what strategems to bring.

My Army list will probably be as follows, 1583 max points (average of people wanted to play for the tourney):

Battalion:

- Watch Master, black vault, beacon angelis (might switch for Vigilance and give the beacon to libby)

- Primaris captain with PF+PP

- Libby in termy armour: veil of time & might of heroes

- Intercessor squad 1: serg+PF, 2x Aggressors, 4 intercessors 

- Intercessor squad 2: serg+CS, 4x hellblasters, 5 intercessors

- Intercessor squad 3: serg+CS, 4x hellblasters, 5 intercessors

- Redemptor dread with macro plasma

- Venerable TTLC+ML

- Repulsor, las-outfit (squad 1 rides this with Captain)

The list comes in at 1582. I plan on putting the WM and 1 intercessor squad in orbit. Maybe the Redemptor as well although I'd like him on the board to provide the enemy with more targets and lead away from the repulsor (I'd play 2, but it's not as many points, so yeah).

You'll have to pick 3 missions in advance:

Hold Ground

You achieve this if at the end of the battle, your opponent has no units entirely within your half of the battlefield.

Gather intel
Every time you claim an objective, mark that objective with a counter. You achieve this objective if you have claimed all 6 objectives during the battle. 

Advance flank
After deployment pick a table quarter in your opponents table half. You achieve this if at the end of the battle, you have more units entirely in that table quarter than your opponent.

Bleed the enemy
You achieve this if at the end of battle no unit with the battlefield role that your opponent has the most points of, is on the battlefield. This excludes FLYER, DEDICATED TRANSPORT or FORTIFICATION.

Survive the onslaught
Your army must include at least 3 TROOP choices for this mission. You achieve this if you have any TROOP choices on the battlefield at the end of the battle.

Decapitate

You achieve this if you slay your opponents warlord in the Fight phase.

I'll probably go for:

Game 1. Advance flank (with teleport and the repulsor this should be doable).

Game 2. Bleed the enemy (I'm in doubt about this one, it's going to be hard if I meet a horde of Orks)

Game 3. Survive the onslaught (I think this should be doable as well, hide yo ass!)

I might change 2 for Decapitate (get my repulsor to the enemy warlord and unload my powerfists).

The table setup will always be as basic as it gets, deployment each side of the table full width and 24 apart. There will be 6 objective markers, 3 on each line of the deployment area and equally apart.

Getting your mission and preventing the enemy will give you the most points (7&6 resp.), but you'll get a point for each full 200 points killed as well (max 7). So I will try and play the missions as much as possible, and I will need strategems to use.

As for strategems, it means ALL strategems, so command reroll is 1 for example. I was thinking as follows:

- Malleus Doctrine

- Dominatus Doctrine (will switch for Purgatus if I go for Decapitation mission)

- Teleportarium

- Tempest shells

- Wisdom of the ancients (or command reroll, not sure yet).

Since I have not a lot of drops I'm banking on going first. There will be no seize the initiative. So what would you do? Thanks!

Well, limited Stratagems sounds awful (and doesn't really help much), and those Missions seem...urgh. Also 1582? I'd advise telling the TO to not try to appease everyone at once and just run multiple different events (at different times, of course!) because 

Your list looks like it has solid anti-tank, which is good. Your anti-infantry seems a little light, but it is Deathwatch, so should be fine!

For Stratagems:

• Malleus seems like a good call, especially as it covers both HS and LoW. You definitely want to be able to unload into big Knights and get them down as quickly as possible
  • Dominatus, probably a good call
  • Teleportarium: yup, naturally
  • Tempest Shells: a decent idea, though with your Hellblasters and vehicle AT you might want to consider something a little more...unusual: Auspex Scan. You've got some good AT and on several platforms; Auspex Scan could give you some flexibility/answers to some things, such as GSC and other dangerous deep strikers
  • Wisdom of the Ancients: I'd definitely go with Command Reroll, personally, as you already have a Captain and a Watch Master. But seriously?! They're not even allowing the basic three Stratagems outside of the five?!? Urgh!

For Missions, swallowing my distaste for what seems like a horrible mismash of crap...I mean...some are Battle Round and some are end of game, do they all reward the same points?

• Hold Ground: Seems alright and might be decent
  • Gather intel: Probably difficult for Deathwatch in general, and especially for your list, I'd avoid
  • Advance flank: Likely a good call for you, I second your choice here
  • Bleed the enemy: This is probably alright for Deathwatch, and your list has the capability to bring down most big things, so you should be ok
  • Survive the onslaught: Could be ok, as you have a good few resilient Troops and you can keep them protected between the Repulsor and Teleportarium, and range

• Decapitate: Honestly, it's pretty restrictive as it's only in the Fight Phase, so I'd personally avoid

I'd say your thoughts for Advance Flank, Bleed The Enemy, and Survive The Onslaught is probably your best shout.

Thanks, I guess I'm on the right way. And yes, I've tried to reason with the TO, but to no avail. It's all fun and games with our club so it's not too big a deal, but I hate changing such basic things as strategems because that'll lead to completely different balance issues. But oh well.

I do think I need to clarify, the missions are 1 each for every game. Each battleround is new game and you need to try to achieve your mission every game. You pick your own mission for each game and you can't pick the same one. I'll change the description in the OP.

Archived