Making my opponents quit Turn 1

Frostglaive

My old tau army against a trukk heavy Ork army.

First shot of the game was from my Hammerhead's railgun. it blew up a Trukk, which blew up the one next to it, and that blew up the one next to that, and the one next to that. All of them had large numbers of passengers.

Ten minutes after that first shot we rolled the last dice to find out what had happened. Seven Trukks and all but four of their passengers (including a warboss (warlord) and a pain boy) wiped from the board with one shot...

He didn't exactly surrender after turn 1, we just agreed to reset the game and start again :)

First shot of the game was from my Hammerhead's railgun. it blew up a Trukk, which blew up the one next to it, and that blew up the one next to that, and the one next to that. All of them had large numbers of passengers.

Ten minutes after that first shot we rolled the last dice to find out what had happened. Seven Trukks and all but four of their passengers (including a warboss (warlord) and a pain boy wiped from the board with one shot...

He didn't exactly surrender after turn 1, we just agreed to reset the game and start again :smile.:

I mean, playing Orks and NOT expecting silly stuff like that to happen is silly. No lie, if something like that happened to me when I was playing my orks, I would have LOVED that because that epitomizes Orks:

When we die, we die HARD! :lol:

I once had a Tyranid player decide to try out Genestealer Cult when they first came out in 7th edition. I was usually running lists that had insane amounts of Dominions with Flamers and meltas.

The game was over turn one, and we decided to rework our lists and try again. The second game was much more fun.

Ten minutes after that first shot we rolled the last dice to find out what had happened. Seven Trukks and all but four of their passengers (including a warboss (warlord) and a pain boy) wiped from the board with one shot...

He didn't exactly surrender after turn 1, we just agreed to reset the game and start again :)

This may be the most fluff accurate game ever??

Whenever I go to find a pickup game or arrange a game thru FB, I make sure to have multiple lists available. I also make a point to ask in advance or before the game starts at all whether they are looking for a competitive game or a more laid back game and (if I don't know) what their level of experience is. I've played enough new players that I've learned how to switch from competitive mode to community building mode, and I've found it's a helpful skill to have and is worth cultivating. Then again I do really enjoy silly fluffy games, so that certainly helps my willingness to take a hit for the fun of it.

That said, that second game wasn't going to go well anyway. I've played people like that, and they rarely get a second game from me. They're pretty much the reason I don't usually do tournaments as well.

Round 2 of a tournament in 5th Edition. I'm running my mechanized Iron Hands army, lots of Razorbacks with Tactical Squads and Thunderfire Cannons, oh and a Vindicator. My opponent is running a heavily converted Traitor IG ar,y, also heavily mechanized. We're fighting on a city map and he can't maneuver his Leman Russes because the streets are too narrow. He can't toss out enough anti-tank fire because buildings are impeding his line of sight.

My turn, I drop a Ven Dread and Ironclad using pods and move my APCs into the middle of the city while absolutely pounding his forward positions. He conceded at the end of my turn, much to my surprise; I had taken a chunk out of his infantry but he still had plenty of armor. Next round I went on to table the then-dreaded double Nob Biker list and win the tourney.

Sorry to piss all over your story here, but you blew up a W10 trukk with a maximum Dmg9 weapon first shot of the game, and the D3 wounds caused by the explosion destroyed another W10 trukk and so on?

Or was this in the era of Hull Points, where an exploding vehicle causes a single Str4 hit that couldn’t possibly Penetrate an AV10 vehicle and cause it to explode?

Or was this back even earlier, and you rolled a 6 to explode, a 6 to glance, a 6 to explode, a 6 to glance, a 6 to explode, a 6 to glance and a final 6 to explode, at over a million to 1 odds?

I know the saying is ‘never let the truth get in the way of a good story’, but come dude...

I think we have established over the history of 40k, from Priestley to now, this isn't a competitive game, treating it like one is the start of all these human interaction problems more so when you consider the player base consists of a demographic which is famously bad at sociological cues 

this is a laugh with mates and a bit of fun on a sunday, with a pretty concise way of measuring relative power, with a brew (this means Tea) and a digestive, or as the colonials say "beer & pretzels", treat it like that, as it was conceived, and there'd be little to no issue

no one gets upset about connect4, but if someone wanted to turn it to competitive min-maxing with regards to milled edges/reeding and weight of the coins.... then trouble is going to fly

Technically not a FTK but by all rights it sealed the game from the start. 4th edition, ordnance rules and results. Whirlwind slammed a blast directly into an ork truk which I had no idea what was in it (because it was fun to guess what was where and he was clearly being honest here). End of the game I see him pack models away and I see a full squad of mega nobz getting packed..."where were those?" "in the truk your whirlwind annihilated!" .

Back in those days, there were 3 tables if I remember right, Glancing, Penetrating and Ordnance Penetrating. The 6 result on the ordnance penetrating was Annihilated. Vehicle is gone, no questions. Also...any passengers are also toast. No questions. Again, the game did play out but the result was so far in my favour because something like 5-6 mega'nobz were out of commission turn one from a whirlwind was kinda of telling!

I've lost games on Turn 1 and won games on turn 1 in 8th edition (mostly <1,500 pt matches with reserves... I have a pathological loathing of the Swarmlord), but I haven't forced a concession or conceded Turn 1 yet.  There were a handful of games where it was all but over, but they made it to turns 3-4ish before the last wound was inflicted.  I play fluffy, a few of my armies are dangerous but in general they aren't optimized and I vastly prefer my experiences to be that way: it's gotta look like it's a force that would be called up, with strengths and weaknesses built in.  Makes it fun. 

Back in the time of y'ore, I wanna say 4th edition, I recall a turn 1 concession after an Imperial player brought his mixed army of what would be now 'agents of the Emperor', with vindicare assassin, grey knights, raider, sisters of battle, priests etc: and after a particularly paltry top of the first for him, drew his army into that perfect range just enabling my Imperial Guard to take a bite at them.  Demolisher hit a raider and detonated it with ye'olden "Annihilated" result which killed all the passengers inside it outright due to ordnance explosion (killing his high priced Terminator HQ and bodyguard), and a lucky sniper team counter-killed a Vindicare assassin, and pot shots from 2 missile teams in infantry squads exploded rhinos killing the majority of the passengers.  

We were both kinda stunned, called the game at bottom of the 1st and talked a bit before we changed out for a second game.  I think that might be the only time I can think of that was called in Turn 1 in more than 20 years.  

Better than the warhammer Fantasy battle turn 1 loss I experienced with a dwarf cannon shot killing my general and panicking my whole army off the table.  Game done in less than 2 minutes. Was admittedly great. 

Post Scriptum: 

First shot of the game was from my Hammerhead's railgun. it blew up a Trukk, which blew up the one next to it, and that blew up the one next to that, and the one next to that. All of them had large numbers of passengers.....

Sorry to piss all over your story here, but you blew up a W10 trukk with a maximum Dmg9 weapon first shot of the game, and the D3 wounds caused by the explosion destroyed another W10 trukk and so on?

Or was this in the era of Hull Points, where an exploding vehicle causes a single Str4 hit that couldn’t possibly Penetrate an AV10 vehicle and cause it to explode?

Or was this back even earlier, and you rolled a 6 to explode, a 6 to glance, a 6 to explode, a 6 to glance, a 6 to explode, a 6 to glance and a final 6 to explode, at over a million to 1 odds?

I know the saying is ‘never let the truth get in the way of a good story’, but come dude...

With ye old 3rd and 4th edition, that wasn't a million to one odds at all... it's not even uncommon with Open Topped and Vulnerable to Blasts adding to the damage table results.  I recall my friends guardsmen 'Bullet Bill' the Ace-las cannon gunner taking out a trio of Trukks like that.   

It was back in the days of glancing and penetrating hits. Think it was either close of 4th edition or beginning of 5th edition (many many years ago now)

And short of time travelling back to the game itself to show you the dice rolls I’m afraid to say you’ll have to take my word for it, I have exaggerated nothing and that is what happened. The sheer unlikelihood of it all was why I chose to share the story

He didn't exactly surrender after turn 1, we just agreed to reset the game and start again :smile.:

It was back in the days of glancing and penetrating hits. Think it was either close of 4th edition or beginning of 5th edition (many many years ago now)

And short of time travelling back to the game itself to show you the dice rolls I’m afraid to say you’ll have to take my word for it, I have exaggerated nothing and that is what happened. The sheer unlikelihood of it all was why I chose to share the story

Unlikely rolls happen and often make for the greatest stories. It reminds me of a 7e game when a Stormwolf shot at my Railgum Hammerhead, he jinks, shoots back on a 6, hits and explodes the Stormwolf who at that point still had full wounds. :D

Unlikely rolls happen and often make for the greatest stories. It reminds me of a 7e game when a Stormwolf shot at my Railgum Hammerhead, he jinks, shoots back on a 6, hits and explodes the Stormwolf who at that point still had full wounds. :biggrin.:

Totally agreed about unlikely rolls. I had a fantasy game where my Archmage managed to cast some spell with Irresitable Force and nuke the enemy general, but then rolled catastrophically for his miscast, killing himself, half of the Phoenix Guard unit next to him and then his wounded Dragon enraged and stomped through the remainder of said unit. That roll cost me the game, but damn was it funny.

In a friendly game you should scale down your list to avoid situations where opponents want to quit on turn 1.

I find it's best to discuss lists in advance or at least get the measure of the type of opponent you'll be facing.

Playing 2nd edition 40k twenty-something years ago, I won a game with my eldar before my first turn. The content of the armies is largely irrelevant except that my friend's tyranid army was led by a hive tyrant. What is relevant is that we were playing with the mission cards and psychic rules from Dark Millennium. VPs in those days were mainly earned by destroying enemy units, with every part 100 points the unit cost converted to 1VP. There was a bonus for slaying the enemy's general and my Witch Hunt mission was worth 1VP for wounding the most powerful enemy psyker or 5VPs for a kill.

Tyranids have the first turn so they scuttle forwards and we begin the psychic phase. In 2nd edition each player drew from a deck of warp cards, with the player whose turn it is using Force cards from their hand to cast psychic powers and their opponent hoping to have drawn some Nullify cards to stop them. The hive tyrant tried to cast something but I countered by playing Daemonic Attack, one of a handful of more powerful special cards. An automatic nullify with a d6 roll to determine if the psyker was "dragged screaming into the warp and killed".

One dice roll later and I'm at least 10 VPs up while the tyranids have lost their most powerful unit and tactical lynchpin. He conceded, we laughed about it, and we set up again to play a proper game.

I had a few similar experiences with the hallucinogen grenade or psych out missiles in Rogue Trader. After 30 minutes of rolling deviations and determining results, half my opponent’s army was off the board.

We then reset the board and played without those rules.

I've had a few experiences in this edition, against the same guy. I try to always keep my foot off the pedal when I am introducing someone so it has never happened to a new player, but there is a particular guy who always wants to play and falls apart emotionally when stuff starts cascading against him. Guard artillery rolls well against his Necron army and a few vehicles in has wiped out a full Warrior Squad? Calls the game before 3/4 of the army has shot.

Ten minutes after that first shot we rolled the last dice to find out what had happened. Seven Trukks and all but four of their passengers (including a warboss (warlord) and a pain boy wiped from the board with one shot...

I mean, playing Orks and NOT expecting silly stuff like that to happen is silly. No lie, if something like that happened to me when I was playing my orks, I would have LOVED that because that epitomizes Orks:

When we die, we die HARD! :lol:

That possibility is why I never could play Orks. That would piss me off so much.

I think i did it in 7th vs a known tau player who was bringing riptides in low points games and winning consistently. So i brought 2 tank commanders from imperial armour with beast hunter shells on their vanquishers. 2 direct hits and 2+ to wound rolls, follwed by failed invulnerable saves = both riptides and a full 1/3 of his force dead from 2 shots. The rest of my shooting took out a good chunk as well, he conceded and we both played less cheese lists and had a very fun (and bloody) game.

Archived