Game Against Deathwatch This Past Saturday

Had a great game against Deathwatch Saturday. 2k points, Supplies from Above, Dawn of War deployment.

His list was 3 teleporting Redemptors (full gatling loadout w/Storm Bolters), Primaris Watch Captain, Primaris Libby, 10 Reavers, 4 Fortis Kill Teams (3 w/4 Hellblasters and 1 Inceptor, 1 w/5 Hellblasters).

I had Ahriman, Termie Sorcerer, Daemon Prince, 10 Scarabs, 20 Rubricae w/8 Warpflamers and 2 Soulreapers, 30 Tzaangors, 10 Tzaangors, Mutalith, Defiler, and Forgefiend.

Game ended on Turn 5 with me on 6 points and set to gain more and him on 8 and slowly losing both board control and numbers. I lost, but it was super close.

He had 1 Fortis team and the Redemptors left (1 of which only had 2 wounds and another was almost degraded). I had the Termie Sorcerer, all 10 Scarabs, 10 Rubricae, and the Fiend left.

We were using the beta bolter rules to full effect on both sides, though I was getting the better of it because DW HATE shooting into All is Dust.

I denied every Psychic Power he cast except one.....a crucial Null Zone in CC that got half my army and cost me a bunch of goats, the Defiler, and most of the wounds on the Prince. Then a key Temporal Manipulation got Denied and the Prince went down, but not before finally clearing his 3rd Fortis team off an objective. I had had numbers on him, but the FLY keyword meant he was taking all the supplies in that area.

When I brought my Termies in, I deployed a little too conservatively, fearing an Auspex Scan and forgetting that he wouldn't kill more than 2 or 3 Termies. Murdered the closest team anyway though at 24 inches due to beta bolters. Scarabs are GNARLY with those rules.

Managed to get a few clutch charges off and take multiple objectives, turned the momentum my way, but the game ended before I could bring it home. All in all very fun and entertaining for those who watched.

I'm surprised he used all those CP to teleport in 3 Redemptors!

With my DW I never use Redemptors, the Ven Dreads are just so much better for the points. This means he would have brought a LOT of stuff that is affected by All is Dust. That's pretty funny. He would have been stuck using poison rounds most of the game to minimal effect.

Sounds like a very fun match up.

I'm surprised he used all those CP to teleport in 3 Redemptors!

With my DW I never use Redemptors, the Ven Dreads are just so much better for the points. This means he would have brought a LOT of stuff that is affected by All is Dust. That's pretty funny. He would have been stuck using poison rounds most of the game to minimal effect.

Sounds like a very fun match up.

Gatling Redemptors with Storm Bolters are frightening against most targets. I've watched them murder things in batrep after batrep, and when they charge, they really clean up too. Can even do a lot against vehicles because the rate of fire is SO high. However......Damage 1 is a big deal against us. :)

Basically, I've seen them be vastly more flexible than Ven Dreads with one loadout that is decent against all targets and absolutely murders hordes.....until you run smack into All is Dust like a bug on a windshield.

Nevertheless, he wanted to use the Redemptors to exploit any backfield holes and seize whatever objectives were uncovered. It worked well because his Fortis teams were so durable I didn't have much to spare to kill the Redemptors with.

The D6 damage on their fists came in super handy too. Ahriman got taken out by a single hit that got through his Invuln. Wouldn't have happened with a Ven Dread. Same thing happened to my Defiler. It was at 12 wounds when the Null Zone hit and 3 hits from a Ven Dread wouldn't have killed it. 3D6 wounds from a Redemptor took it out nicely in one go.

The Redemptor has far too many negatives for me but this isn’t the place to debate that. I’m glad you got to enjoy the beta Bolters. They’ve definitely renewed my fondness of the mighty Scarab Termie. Again, I’d probably drop my Soulreaper Cannons if I built another squad!

The Redemptor has far too many negatives for me but this isn’t the place to debate that. I’m glad you got to enjoy the beta Bolters. They’ve definitely renewed my fondness of the mighty Scarab Termie. Again, I’d probably drop my Soulreaper Cannons if I built another squad!

The Mutalith was also quite worthwhile. For 125 points it did great. Handed out a bunch of buffs that scared my opponent into focusing two Fortis Teams on it on Turn 2. It died, but its noble sacrifice allowed my goats and Rubricae to close with acceptable casualties, where my Warpflamers did WORK.

Archived