Any serious threats to IK ?

GreyCrow

Hi fellow Knights !

I am not yet part of your ranks, but I play a lot against IK currently. I love the models and I love their role on the battlefield.

They are very strong and very cool centerpieces.

It seems to me that they are points for points the best Imperium army out there.

The only way I have found to reliably challenge them is with a LOT of S8 D2 weapons (think like 9-12 Plasma inceptors). Other Marines anti tank weapons have proven unreliable to me.

The other obvious effective solution is Thunder Hammers in quantities large enough to be noticed.

That’s the only ways I have found to reliably break through the 4++ save post stratagem. Otherwise, the damage they deal is too great, that I’m pinned down and concede too much of the board to the rest of the enemy army.

My main question to you is : from the other side, what do you see are the most serious threats to your Imperial Knights ?

I think that, as a standalone army, Knights are actually very well balanced. They're powerful, but have significant weaknesses - any high damage melee unit, inability to hold objectives, relatively weak saves for the unit cost when running multiple Knights, etc.

Knights don't set the world on fire competitively when used as a vanilla army either.

...but when you soup them. Oh my. 

Suddenly the melee weakness is covered by cheap screening units, those same cheap bodies capture and hold points (negating another weakness), while feeding FAR more CP than I believe Knights were really designed to have.

If you fight JUST Knights (and have taken worthwhile anti tank units), I don't think you'd find us all that intimidating really. Generally though, that isn't what people face. 8th edition has somewhat become soup edition, and Knights as a soup ingredient make a combo that it would be fair to argue is somewhat broken (and probably never truly intended in the form it exists in). 

I think that, as a standalone army, Knights are actually very well balanced. They're powerful, but have significant weaknesses - any high damage melee unit, inability to hold objectives, relatively weak saves for the unit cost when running multiple Knights, etc.

Knights don't set the world on fire competitively when used as a vanilla army either.

...but when you soup them. Oh my. 

Suddenly the melee weakness is covered by cheap screening units, those same cheap bodies capture and hold points (negating another weakness), while feeding FAR more CP than I believe Knights were really designed to have.

If you fight JUST Knights (and have taken worthwhile anti tank units), I don't think you'd find us all that intimidating really. Generally though, that isn't what people face. 8th edition has somewhat become soup edition, and Knights as a soup ingredient make a combo that it would be fair to argue is somewhat broken (and probably never truly intended in the form it exists in). 

I don't have much to add but I want to second this information. I play pure knights a lot and this is 100% my experience.

Smash Captains, and Harlie grenades are both fatal for Knights.

Good call. Not just haywire grenades either. Haywire cannon plus 'Doom' is well known as (arguably) one of the most effective anti-tank combinations in the game. Simply hit the target and you're doing a mortal wound per shot on a 4+ wound roll - even if the normal wound roll is unsuccessful (d3 mortals on a 6+). Doom allows re-rolls to any failed wound rolls, and each Haywire Cannon is d6 shots...

When you consider every Skyweaver in a squad can be given one, a Knight doesn't last long. Completely negates save shenanigans with relics and 'Rotate Ion shield' too. 

Just don't forget Benevolence of the Machine God for 1cp for a 5+ against mortals.

And if you have any AdMech with you, you can use Benevolence of the Omnissiah for 1cp for a 5+ against mortals to another knight, as they are different strats.

You need to be Questor Mechanicus for it though

There's a Kataphron heavy list doing the rounds that's won 3 of the recent ETC tournaments in the UK. The 1st of those wins may have been a different list but the same player took out all 3 and last 2 were definitely using Admech with the formation from vigilus and Mars as the forge world.

You need to beat a knight list to get anywhere near top tables these days

Archived