Does anyone else miss the old Lovecraftian Necrons and C'tan

Captain Idaho

Well, i would like the silent king to return as a character with some goodies. As to factions we have some already, the necrons who want to destroy all life, the ones who want to preserve the galaxy from the tyranids so the necrons can return to the time of flesh and so on.

If it were necessary to ally with the imperium to stop the tyranids then this could crease some factionalism in and of itself.

The funny thing is i could imagine the silent king and the emperor understanding each other. both were leaders, both wanted to make things better for their people, both made terrible mistakes and both have tried for a long time to make things right.

The funny thing is i could imagine the silent king and the emperor understanding each other. both were leaders, both wanted to make things better for their people, both made terrible mistakes and both have tried for a long time to make things right.

Have you ever seen the two of them in the same place at the same time? ;)

Nice to see someone with a sense of humor here...

Thanks!

Serious response to the topic. There's a lot of thematic room in the Necrons lore. Lovecraftian, Tomb Kings... I'm looking at DC Comics' Brainiac for my Necrons' theme.

Nice to see someone with a sense of humor here...

Thanks!

Serious response to the topic. There's a lot of thematic room in the Necrons lore. Lovecraftian, Tomb Kings... I'm looking at DC Comics' Brainiac for my Necrons' theme.

Wow, believe it or not your innocent little post here just kicked me hard in my creative thought node!

Brainiac meme... Ok suppose your necrons want to create a hypercomputer, maybe a computer built around a star like a Dyson sphere. The computer will create a perfect simulated universe. A total virtual universe being ran on a computer massing as much as a solar system. In order to do this they need huge amounts of data, to create a perfect model of the galaxy they need data on the races in it. They need to literally feed billions of being into "data converters" that convert them in computer data model beings for the necrons to rule over. They want to create a galaxy model in which they rule, and other beings exist to serve them, then upload their minds into it into perfect living bodies in a holographic simulated universe. . But they need the digitized bodies and minds of other beings to create the perfect bodies for themselves and to serve as their subjects. They plan to let the 'nids or chaos or whatever do with the real galaxy what they want after they create their computer and create a pocket of isolated space around it to seal themselves off from it.

Brainiac meets ultimate horror. Hope you like it..

Wow, my creative thought node is still running on overdrive from this, so to follow up on my idea:

Instead of creating a holographic model universe and moving into it, the necrons want to create a  star system sized computer network based on the quantum principle that you can change reality by observing it,  and make it so powerful it can not only create a model of a galaxy suited to the necron's wishes but will, if ever fully functional, be able to essentially recreate the actual physical galaxy into the necron image of a perfect galaxy,

There are theories reality is affected by perception, and the necron plan it to create a massive artificial mind that can literally choose to impose it's model of reality on the galaxy and recreate it utterly.

This "perceived reality" would become reality thru the power of the artificial mind observing it to be reality, and all reality in the galaxy would become what it chooses to perceive.

And believe it or not there are quantum theories that support this theory.

Again, the necrons need billions and billions of life forms to be digitized and used to model the life in this imposed reality to serve the necrons in their now forms.

Um, maybe they already succeeded....

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/fr/cp0/e15/q65/53248453_2201372886791533_1734098461713760256_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=43c4cd7012c45af10fe557793bf1b808&oe=5D27D6BB

Honestly, when I saw this jstafter I bad the idea for a necron dynasty to either create a simulated universe on an ultimate computer or recreate the galaxy into a computer generated model of what the wanted then I saw, I was a little spooked... Are they just messing with me?

Regarding Lovecraftian horror... there's much more to it than sci fi horror. It's about cosmic mystery and power. Being insignificant against unknowable plans and entities. Helplessness and awe.

And that why oldCrons don’t belong. That is entirely against the core concept of 40k. Is that “we” do matter, “we” are not insignificant. One of the finest examples is in Lovecraft Lore, Terran Gods were weaklings compared to actual Old Gods like Narylahotep and even the likes of Cthulhu.

Having that be the truth in 40k (replace Old Gods with C’tan and Terran Gods with Chaos Gods), demeans the entire Aeldari Backstory. And makes them kinda pathetic. “We” (Aeldari) created Slaanash, that proves we are not insignificant. Further one of the most powerful moments in lore show that the cold calculating mind is not stronger than humanity.

When the Emperor struck down Horus he was only able to do so by BANISHING his emotions. As his emotions were too strong for him to overcome. The story of 40k is how 40k is denying or even rebuking classic lovecraftian themes of inevitability, insignificance and simply pawns to eldritch monsters.

Necrons revolting against their Gods, is what makes NewCrons more 40k than OldCrons. Because it shows the Crons matter. 40k is more than about “Grim Darkness”, it’s just as equal as being about it’s “Only War”. There as definetely aspects of OldCron (Phariah) I miss.

But OldCron lore? Doesn’t belong. 40k while aesthetically similar to Cthulhu and Lovecraft, it is 40k because how it is different in small fashions. The biggest and most important difference? When things go bump in the night. We can fight it, we (Mortals/Humanity) are NOT Helpless.

I disagree. You've determined that the old Necrons fluff is not appropriate because you deem Lovecraftian horror as a single word description I made of many - helplessness.

Essentially you are saying, since humanity and other races can oppose/fight a terrible horror, it isn't Lovecraftian in theme.

Firstly, I contend that that isn't the case on the grounds that opposition is always possible when you align with these super powers. Consider the Emperor, Gork and Mork, Ynnari, the Hive Mind... these entities are all sufficient in mystery and power to oppose other supreme beings and lend their power to the power struggle of the galaxy without breaking the theme or acceptance of the reader. They can oppose the Chaos Gods as an enemy.

They are also undefined to be flexible in the needs of further creativity.

Those elements have a Lovecraftian feel already so saying the old background doesn't fit because it's too Lovecraftian doesn't work.

As for the Eldar Gods/Old Ones being demeaned... that is a personal bias I feel that doesn't quite make sense objectively. How are they demeaned? Because they were psychic beings facing off supreme beings in the Material realm and were losing? They can still be significant even if they were up against potential extinction. Otherwise the Imperium is insignificant in 40K timelines since they're losing also.

Insignificant is a matter of perspective. An individual being insignificant is what 40K is all about. Remember the introduction piece in the front of all the rule books over the years? It proves my point that the old C'tan background fits perfectly into 40K:

"It is a universe you can live today – if you dare – for this is a dark and terrible era where you will find little comfort or hope. If you want to take part in the adventure, then prepare yourself now. Forget the power of technology, science and common humanity. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for there is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods.

But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed…"

A post of mine seems t have disappeared, but I approve of the idea that the necrons matter, as do other people. Olanius Pious sure mattered, even if he died. Luther mattered when he saved Lion El'Johnson from being killed on Caliban even if he was corrupted later. Sanguinius mattered even tho he died.

People matter, whether they are acknowledged or forgotten, things they did mattered. A race can make choices, necrons can matter.

That's the whole point of 40K. Characters can make a difference against the endless night but it's just staving off the inevitable and hopeless situation.

Like Chaos and Tyranids consuming the galaxy.

That's the whole point of 40K. Characters can make a difference against the endless night but it's just staving off the inevitable and hopeless situation.

Like Chaos and Tyranids consuming the galaxy.

I think the Silent King is gonna have something to say about threat numero dos...a rather big something, with lots of explosions.

Linking it back in ;) the Silent King can be more than just a Necron Phaeron. There could be a real "higher being" vibe going on with it. Perhaps a giant machine, perhaps a city floating through the void.

(Any model could be obviously an Avatar)

That lends itself to the theme of older Necron background. Would be a great counter foil to the C'tan returning to prominence.

Just wondering whether I'm alone in this? I loved the Necrons back in 3rd edition as their background theme was dark and sepulchre like whilst the C'tan were the Lovecraftian feeling cosmic terrors.

Unknowable and mysterious.

Man, I miss that!

I dislike the Egyptian empire feel to Necrons now, who are just another human empire rather than what they were back in 3rd edition.

It's okay for people to disagree and feel free to post what you like about the fluff for the background here too. We're all friends here :smile.:

Question - does anyone feel like GW is pivoting back to a Lovecraftian style with AoS and thus will there be any chance of a move towards this with Necrons perhaps next year or later 2019? The Star Gods get released and take back some of the Necrons into slavery. Civil war looms perhaps as the Silent King returns to lead the rest of the Necrons against the C'tan Necrons?

This is something I wish GW would get involved with (alongside new models of course!).

I too miss that "unknowable and mysterious" other feel of the C'tan and the Necrons……. but I felt that the way the concept was originally presented was limited and quickly lent itself to a Lost In Spaceish "Crush, Kill, Destroy" mundane, cartoonish feel. When the last big Necron expansion came out, I was hoping for a correction, but I think we got an overcorrection. They were fleshed out (so to speak) to the point of being almost pedestrian..... powerful but too normal. I would have liked to have seen something more subtle.

Perhaps bringing back the Silent King would give GW a chance to make some corrections and make the Necrons a little more alien again. But in 2019:eek: ......NOOOOO..... my wallet is stressed enough with Primaris and the Chaos train hurtling down the tunnel track in front of me. Ten years would be nice:wink:

Bringing back the Silent King would be a great way to introduce more depth to the Necron lore. With a public declaration of intent we could see various Dynasties allying up or standing out in defiance, and it could easily be a precursor to or result of C'Tan coming out of the woodwork and re-enslaving and/or destroying the Necrons they find.

The silent king could be something like a super command barge. Or a command vehicle like a monolith with QS and a fixed save.

I think Szerakh is too humble (if that word applies to necrons) to set himself up in some ornate barge or floating fortress. He recognizesthat he screwed up bad with the necrontyr and the biotransferance, and left as penance to that. He only came back because he feared otherwise the tyranids would extinct the entire galaxy, and eventually the universe if not stopped with the forces he could command.

He will be ornate, of course, as befits the silent King, and I'd hope come with some other status symbols (including the Sanguinius mask!), but I don't see him on some massive barge.

I suspect he'll have some crazy rules, but one I think would be especially flavorful is if he was a two-model unit, consisting of Szerakh and his Voice (because he doesn't speak), or could only use MWBD if the second character is taken.

His return would make a powerful statement, and I would hope establish him (and the necrons) as a larger, more important group. Maybe Imotekh will finally listen to someone else for a change and stop conquering minor dynasties for five minutes.

Well, as I understand it he renounced his power as the silent king when he put the necrons to sleep and wiped his command protocol codes. He may well speak now as he is no longer the king of the necrons but simply trying to make amends to his race as best he can as an act of penance.

Well, according to the short story that has th accord between Dante and Szerakh to heat the tyranids, he only speaks a word or two, whispered them directly to Dante, and it’s explixitly noted as that being different from the norm. Everyone still calls him the silent king, he hears himself as much, and he does have a throne (though I doubt he’d ride it into battle).

So whatever he thinks of himself in regards to the title now, certainly others still think him ruler of their kind.

Archived