Succumbing to Slaanesh

WickedJester1013

Looking to add some Slaanesh forces to my daemons to either run mono god, or with my existing nurgle daemons.

What are some must have units to buy? also what are some good tips and tricks that have seen you success or even failure? 

Or just add anything else a new slaanesh daemon needs to know.

Thanks!

I haven't played much of my own slaanesh daemons yet - just one game as allies with the emperor's children, in which they got wiped out by my opponent's shooting before they did anything (new model syndrome strikes again!).

That said, the posts I have read here about them make the following points:

1.  The one advantage of slaaneshi over other daemons is speed.

2.  As with other daemons, if you plan to deepstrike and then charge, bring an instrument in those units.

3.  As with other daemons, its usually better to get more models than banners for your units.

4.  They are typically low strength, so really benefit from having a herald nearby.

5.  Unfortunately, the only slaaneshi herald in the codex is on foot, so if you want a herald that can keep up with anything other than daemonettes, you need to use the index to field a herald on a steed or on one of the various flavours of chariots we have.

• 3 weeks later...

Herald on Steed?! Cant believe I have not built one yet. Shame on me.

As for the OP... Not played Daemons since 7th, but a friends started Blood Angels so were gonna use our untried armies against each other so its kinda equal footing. Hopefully Ill have something to add to this convo soon.

• 3 weeks later...

You're in luck, there's a lot of really nice stuff coming out for Slaanesh very soon! Most notably a plastic Keeper of Secrets at long last. I'd wait until everything is fully revealed before committing to anything.

Indeed, the upcoming stuff is great and should add some options to Slaanesh. Currently the focus on combat can be a bit of a limitation, as Rumi says numbers are key. Making good use of character aura/support is also going to be important I think. This is especially true for higher toughness units as Slaanesh can struggle a bit against them.

I think the new Keeper of Secrets with a Soulstealer will be awesome in games that aren't super competetive (competetive lists won't have a problem killing a greater daemon turn 1 unfortunately) since with the increased amount of wounds (all greater daemons got more wounds and other fancy stuff with their updated models) it takes more effort to kill it before it reaches combat where it can easily heal itself up.

In a Daemon army you want at least one big unit of Daemonettes, but as just allies you are probably fine with some small 10 strong units. They won't hit like a hammer or something and will get wiped pretty quickly but they should prove to be a decent distraction.

I'm also interested in running some Slaanesh daemons alongside my Emperor's Children. Do Daemonettes work at 10-strong squads or do you go all out for 30?

You need at least 20 Daemonettes to get the additional attack.

I'm also interested in running some Slaanesh daemons alongside my Emperor's Children. Do Daemonettes work at 10-strong squads or do you go all out for 30?

You need at least 20 Daemonettes to get the additional attack.

However, with their points deduction and speed. They can be decent objective grabbers to fill out a CP farm battalion. They're small so can hide out of LOS fairly effectively as well. If you want them to do things though, blobs of 20-30 will be necessary. 

While awaiting all the new Slaanesh stuff I would recommend building a force of Daemonettes and Chariots as those aren't being changed out. We'll be getting a new KOS, new Masque, and some kind of new character Daemon Prince? Fiends are a good thing to pick up as well, and the new models for those are amazing. 

Edited by Armchairarbiter

A unit of 6 fiends is definitely recommended. Quite tough for Slaanesh standards, the unholy number and in AoS they get a neat bonus in a unit of 6 (because AoS has the more flavourful rules just in general it seems). :teehee: